WD HD Media Player (with HDMI out etc.) - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #46
Major Player

Yes, but I want to be able to just play and play, you know what i mean? Having to convert these files that play fantastic on my computer is annoying. I tried to play a window media file a few days ago and it wouldn't. This means I have LOTS of files to convert. It should play AVI and WM files with no problem. Also another question is, when i convert these files with the given software does it take away some quality? I noticed a file went from 500mb to 430mb.
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Harris View Post
Yes, but I want to be able to just play and play, you know what i mean? Having to convert these files that play fantastic on my computer is annoying. I tried to play a window media file a few days ago and it wouldn't. This means I have LOTS of files to convert. It should play AVI and WM files with no problem. Also another question is, when i convert these files with the given software does it take away some quality? I noticed a file went from 500mb to 430mb.
I've been playing AVIs with no issues. Have you updated the firmware to 1.01? That might be the issue.
Sean Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #48
Major Player

Yeah I thought i did. I put the update on the harddrive and it updated when i played it. Should I do it again? I hope I didn't do it wrong but it seems like I have.
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
Has anyone fed this thing footage from a Canon 5D Mark II?
That would seem to be a great way of testing its ability to handle high bit rate footage.
Yes, the video plays back fine, looks great. However, it says the audio is unsupported and you get no sound.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I have found that my WD player will not play what you might define as 'intraframe' AVIs -like standard DV, or Canopus HQ files for example - although it's quite happy to play Xvid or Divx 'AVIs'.
It also plays DVD ISO files fine.
Roger Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #51
New Boot

My WD is loaded up with a bunch of different AVIs and they all play fine with the exception of 1 TV show where I get a message "Audio channel 1 not supported" although the video still plays, just without sound.
I usually encode my DVD collection to h.264 with mp3 audio in an AVI file, plays fine and looks great. Most of the TV series I have downloaded are a combination of divx, xvid aac mp3 etc, and they all work fine.
I can confirm the unit won't play ISO image files, but when you can have the same quality in a smaller h.264 file why fill your hard drive unnecessarily? Also this means all my movies are under 4Gb so I can leave my hard drive formatted as Fat32 and can plug it into Mac and PC (unlike NTFS where a Mac can only read data, not write)
For blueray or HD I would recommend encoding to a HD h.264 file (which is one of the blueray standard formats anyway). The WD supports HD.
Old January 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Harris View Post
Yeah I thought i did. I put the update on the harddrive and it updated when i played it. Should I do it again? I hope I didn't do it wrong but it seems like I have.
Hmm, if you did it already then it should be fine. I agree with Roger now that I think about it, the AVIs I have downloaded and worked have been xvid and divx.
Sean Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #53
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann D.K. Cerecke View Post
For blueray or HD I would recommend encoding to a HD h.264 file (which is one of the blueray standard formats anyway). The WD supports HD.

So how does one get their blu-ray disk image into an h,264 file? I have a blu-ray burner, and AnyDVD HD and have ripped entire Blu-ray disks to my PC hard drive. It is stored in a folder using the same exact directory structure as a bluray. I can use PowerDVD to point to this directory and it plays, but exploring the directory leads to no specific movie file, just hundred of .mkv files. I assume these contain the movie but how do I know what to do with them?

People have posted that it works and plays blu-ray files but nobody has answered how or what exactly that are doing to achieve this.

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #54
Major Player

I don't know what kind of AVI's I have. Most are clips I have capture onto my computer from my DVX100 and others are movie movie files from Premier.

Should I redo my update?

What I did is download the update, extracted the Zipped folder and plugged it in.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #55
Major Player

something strange I noticed yesterday. I got an HDMI cable and watched some HD files I had. I set all the settings correct but when i tried to watch an SD movie it stretches the image out and I didn't want it in the "full screen" mode. I think you should be able to choose what format you want it in without switching from video 1 to video 6 like on my tv now.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #56
Trustee

> I don't know what kind of AVI's I have.

Yeah, well, that what GSpot can do for you. See my earlier post.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #57
Major Player

If I downloaded HD movies from XBOX live and saved them onto my external HD, would i be able to play them on my tv?

I'm just trying to find ways for getting HD movies I purchase onto it. I know itunes is a no go and I dont want to go out and buy a blueray burner.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #58
Inner Circle

I just love this Little device, I recently jumped into the HD arena and bought the WD mediaplayer to show my clients what a wedding could look like on their lcd.
Today was my first wedding client who had a very large lcd and I connected the WD player with hdmi to their tv and used a usb stick that contained a 10 min mpg2 file (1440x1080 -18mbs) and it looked sharp as a razorblade and put my regular dvd to shame. (showed that as well to them on their dvd player)

They were well aware about the limitations of their lcd with a normal signal, their non HD tv channels also looked like crap on their lcd. They did not have a BR player yet so I will have to supply regular dvd's (also for family and friends) but I will supply them with a mpg2 file with the same quality I showed them, probably with a higher bitrate on a usb or external harddrive which they supply me. in that way they can play it on their pc of mediaplayer if they have one or just safekeep it to have it transfered to BR when they buy one later.

being able to show my clients HD on their lcd, if they don't have a BR player yet is a big advantage for me, other videographers can also say they deliver in HD but I'm sure that I"m one of the few that is able to also show it to my clients that don't have HD players yet.

This is one of my best and cheapest investments yet.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #59
Trustee

Well my initial tests with blu-ray files didn't work. I grabbed the main m2ts files from the blu-ray image and copied to my portable drive. The WD unit sees the files and plays the video portion but tells me that the audio stream is not supported. I am going to try a different blu-ray since this one has DOlby True-HD.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #60
Major Player

So ripping blue ray movies and playing them on the unit doesn't work? I almost bought a blueray external player for my computer just for this purpose but I will hold off and wait for other to figure out way to gets HD on it.

thanks
Greg Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News