Soderbergh using DVX100 on HBO's "K Street" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 19th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #16
Trustee

Actually John, they filmed it in a very loose way, and you can see the cameras they used in frame as you watch the show. Please don't be sarcastic - it's not helpful.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:55 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The show supposedly uses 6 DVX100s and they film it entirely in 24p Normal mode. Although last nights was a little better in terms of quality pictures (looks like they actually white balanced some this time), I'm still a ticked at Soderbergh for degrading what the camera is capable of. Still lots of blown highlights, crappy zooming and focusing, blueish tint in outdoor lighting. It does seem he's going for "Full Frontal 2".

Also, in last weeks episode there were a few shots where you clearly see other DVX100s set up on tripods. I have yet to see any other brand (other than a broadcast camera in last night's epoisode) or evidence of any other camera's footage. It'd be a pain for them to try and mix 24p with 60i from other cameras and it'd be real noticable in the transitions. It wouldn't make sense for them to use other DV cameras in conjuction with the DVX100 24p mode.

As far as the show goes...if they don't significantly improve the quality of footage then I hope it goes the way of the do-do, because other than the curiosity factor concerning the camera footage the show leaves a lot to be desired.
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:47 PM   #18
Trustee

I definitely saw at least one PD and some type of Canon in the first episode.

Part of what supported this for me was seeing that there was some motion blur like you would get while trying to downgrade 60i to 24p, but on this part I could be wrong. But I did see other cams in the shots. Perhaps they were just props, but the footage did seem to support this. Or maybe one of the camera guys accidentally shot without the 24p and they had to correct it ;)
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

A guy who consulted with them in the post process says they are using all DVX100s in 24p Normal mode. I don't know the guy personally but he seems well respected.

I saw the first episode many times on my TiVo and paused anytime a camera appeared to be in the picture. I only saw DVX100s (except for last night they had a shot of a broadcast cameraman filming an interview). So you're seeing things I'm somehow not. I still have it on TiVo if you can remember a scene or something I can check it out, I'd be very interested if they were using other cameras and would like to see evidence of it.
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:54 PM   #20
Trustee

Unfortunately I don't have a TiVo. If I catch a re-broadcast I'll be sure to note the specific scenes.

Everybody seems to have a TiVo these days. I really ought to check one out...
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:17 PM   #21
New Boot

So far only DVX100's have been used.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News