GE has super DVD that holds 100 DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GE has super DVD that holds 100 DVDs

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/te...disk.html?_r=1
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Major Player

No market

Quote:
When Blu-ray was introduced in late 2006, a 25-gigabyte disc cost nearly $1 a gigabyte, though it is about half that now. G.E. expects that when they are introduced, perhaps in 2011 or 2012, holographic discs using its technology will be less than 10 cents a gigabyte — and fall in the future.
A 500GB laptop 2.5" drive is 89 bucks today which is 18 cents per gigabyte. In a few more years we're look at that halving. Where exactly is the room for yet another optical drive?
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Optical disks are better for archival purposes. Hard drives are not permanent storage. After 5 years of inactivity, I wouldn't expect them to work at all. Rather than competing with Hard Drives, I think it's more likely that this disk will have to compete with cloud storage (internet) or Solid State Cards.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

I really can't see cloud storage having the transfer bandwidth needed for our high data video needs.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
Optical disks are better for archival purposes. Hard drives are not permanent storage. After 5 years of inactivity, I wouldn't expect them to work at all. Rather than competing with Hard Drives, I think it's more likely that this disk will have to compete with cloud storage (internet) or Solid State Cards.
And tape is even better than optical for long term archival. Let's see

LTO-4 tape will run you $50 modest quantity.

So that's 800GB native storage at less than .07 cents a Gigabyte. Tape is king for archival for a reason and that is $$$$$

By 2012 LTO-5 will be out at 1.6TB per tape native. There's no chance for this tech to survive. It's a great PR piece for GE but they know it's not going to hit the market and gain traction.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Inner Circle

CD got established in a big way, almost entirely because the major recording studios adopted the media for distribution of music to consumers (and consumers accepted it). DVD and BluRay (so far) got established in a big way, almost entirely because the major movie studios adopted the media for distribution of movies to consumers (and consumers accepted it). It just doesn't seem likely that this new technology will enjoy the same dynamic, for becoming established in a similarly big way.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

CD and DVD (and BluRay so far) would never have attained anything close to the level of use they have, for computer data storage, if not for the recording and movie industries' prior adoption of the media for the purpose of distributing their products to consumers.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sherman View Post
After 5 years of inactivity, I wouldn't expect them to work at all.
Why is that?
Being a sealed mechanical device, as long as they don't receive any G force trauma or extreem temperature change, I would expect them to last indefinitely. AFAIK, use is the single fastest degradation of a HDD. Not storage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News