Apple does it once again! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 28th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #16
Skyonic New York

just a few thoughts on this...

the wire cable costs 149 bucks plus 1 hour of installation

it only works with third gen ipods

it only works with bmw that have the regualar radio with no cd changer

it does not show folder names or song names....WHA

i think bmw could have done a much better job, this seems like a hatchet job to get publicity...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #17
Wrangler

Why go through the problem of getting this thing installed if it ONLY works on the "stock" radio. UGH..... I don't care what kind of car you have- an 85k BMW M5's stock audio system pales in comparison to a properly assembled high-end aftermarket system.

People *can* be suckers for marketing hype.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #18
Warden

I'm sure future implementations will provide more features. No one is claiming that this combination is the ultimate car stereo system, Glen. but it is one more integration of the iPod into ones lifestyle. This can be a nice feature for some iPod users, especially for those that utilize it's many unique features (system backup, repair, RRS, mail, calendar, voice recorder, Mp3 player, digital picture storage, etc.). It allows me to dispense with several extra devices. Is it for everyone, no.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #19
Wrangler

I'm just saying- if someone is serious about car audio it's a bit disconcerting to know this setup works only with the BMW's stock radio. If I owned a BMW this setup would be very appealing to me and might actually prompt a purchase of an iPod. The fact that it doesn't work if you have upgraded your system from stock is the killer.
I don't see why someone who is serious about their music wouldn't simply go with an MP3 deck. Even for those who already own a 3rd gen iPod... an MP3 deck can be purchased for close to the price of the installation of the iPod and it will provide much better fidelity than a stock BMW headunit.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade with negativity- I re-read my post and it sounded harsh. Didn't mean to come across that way- I just feel, in my humble opinion, this is a fairly useless peice primarily because of it's limitations only working with the stock non-disc changer head unit.

Any who...if I did, indeed, own a BMW I'd ditch the iPod AND the MP3 deck idea....my dash would be proudly sporting a Pioneer AVICN1 with navigation system, DVD player, realtime vehicle performance feedback, touch screen, satelite radio, and optional rear mounted camera which can be monitored via the 7" fold out LCD widescreen...ALL in one unit! Heck if I had the money for a BMW I could most definitly afford a 2k headunit...right! Regards.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #20
Inner Circle

My iriver ihp120 plugs right into the aux in port in my Honda Element, Ipods or any device with a stereo line out work too.
Nothing new here.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #21
Warden

Joe, is your ihp120 controlled from the steering wheel and display info on the dash?

Glen, when I was younger, I had lots of custom car stereos installed. However, as I got older the fascination has worn off and when I buy cars, the stock radio suites my needs just fine. Your needs may vary and that's fine.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 06:21 PM   #22
Wrangler

Even at 26 I've outgrown doing huge systems- I do, however, enjoy upgrading the headunit and front speakers. I'm looking for more clarity and fidelity rather than overwhealming bass.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News