New Apple Cinema Displays at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 28th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Warden

New Apple Cinema Displays

As expected a new 30" LCD screen is available. Details here.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:01 PM   #2
Trustee

H.264/AVC information

Cool! They mention this ...."Final Cut Pro HD — can take full advantage of this advanced video codec."

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/h264.html

Does anyone know if this will help with rendering HDV?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html

Old June 28th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Apple's jumping on the AVC bandwagon with both feet. That's great! It's going to be a very popular codec as you can see.

As for Core Image and Video I think we'll see it's effect migrate rapidly over Apple's lineup. It's going to excel in displaying images or video and applying processing on them. I wouldn't be suprised to see Final Cut Pro 5 be heavily based on Core Image/Video speeding up the UI in some areas.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #4
Major Player

display blues !

Well, I'd like steve to explain why these beautiful screens don't have s-video and component inputs !!! I'd go for the new HP 23 incher myself, just because of this oversight. Apple continues disappointing me , even though I've got 3 !!
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #5
Warden

Kurth, I think Apple had graphics, print and professional video people more in mind with the 30" monitor. I would I have no use for an S-Video input, as I would route S-Video to a production monitor. If I can afford a $3,000 computer screen I can certainly afford a $2,000 broadcast production monitor.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #6
Major Player

Jeff - I disagree, with respect, of course for everyone to choose how to spend their own money, but the HP 23" for $1700 and also, it is a 16x9 HDTV , well I don't believe I'll need that $2000 sony, and I believe I'll find another toy or tool to buy with those dwindling dollars. Like a new Sony 24P ! Yes , if I was sitting on a hundred K , just to spend on image making tools, then I might go for a pair of those 30 inchers ( and throw in a plasma ) but, my question is, why couldn't Apple just as easily have included at least an S Video ? Doesn't make since , if Apple wants to be the cutting edge, it better hone that bone ! Kurth
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Re: display blues !

<<<-- Originally posted by Kurth Bousman : Well, I'd like steve to explain why these beautiful screens don't have s-video and component inputs !!! I'd go for the new HP 23 incher myself, just because of this oversight. Apple continues disappointing me , even though I've got 3 !! -->>>

Not half as disappointing as the pixel response on the HP. It's 25ms while the new Apples are 16. If you were looking at still photography I'd say that's not much of a diff but when we're talking moving objects i'm taking 16ms over 25 anyday of the week.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #8
Contributor

> I'd like steve to explain why these beautiful screens don't
> have s-video and component inputs

Sorry but, what would you really need those for? Video sent to the monitor from the computer will be sharper, and you would have had to pay for the extra circuitry (AD conversion) for those inputs. Remember... these are DIGITAL displays so any analog IO hits heavily on the price. If you are editing DV, HDV, HD you have no need to go analog and back to digital, right?
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #9
Major Player

Well , one use for lcd's for me , are standalone exhibition devices- I'm an artist and put video works on walls. I'd like to have multiple options.I don't want to have to use my computers for dvd players ! And about that response time question between 25 and 16 ms - I'm not so sure you can trust response time accuracy on spec sheets and for most video, unless you're doing motion analysis, 25 is just fine ! So - I still want Steve to explain !!
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Steve would respond: "Its a computer display, not a TV." It only has DVI so it would not work with a lot of home theatre type equipment either. If you want a TV display, you would go buy else where. Apple isn't trying to be Gateway or HP and sell TVs... so why criticize them for that?
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #11
Major Player

well then , what's all this "digital hub " propaganda ! Hey , I love mac os , but to accept every move Steve makes like it's straight from heaven is only slowing the improvements and integration of existing technologies. Consumers need to be alot more critical and Apple could stand listening to alittle constructive criticism.Monitors are for images - no matter the source.
Old July 7th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #12
Warden

Apple is a niche market, just not your niche. Stop looking to Apple as the only solution. I don't expect to get Chevy to compete with Porsche and vice versa.

Old July 7th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #13
Major Player

,,,didn'y I say I'd probably buy an HP 23 incher, if I was going to buy . And in digital imagery , I wouldn't call Apple a niche . ( Hey Steve are you listening ! )
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #14
Trustee

While we're talking about not including, I'd like to know why no "all in one" home stereo systems include record players anymore. For that matter why don't they include quadrophonic inputs for the laserdisc players. Surely more people would buy the newer home stereo's if they had built in record players and quadrophonic input for people's laserdisc players. I mean don't get me wrong CD's and DVD's are great but what about MY personal needs.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News