2TB Memory Cards - 120MB/s Transfer Rates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 10th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #1
Major Player

2TB Memory Cards - 120MB/s Transfer Rates

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20040805A4013.html

Now this looks interesting. Can you say "solid state Hi Def Camcorder" ? With transfer rates like these and storage like these... thats gotta be perfect has it not? :)
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:17 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I saw that today, too, Daymon. This boggles my mind. If it does have high transfer rates it could indeed lead to a new frontier in tapeless video recording. Fascinating.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I didn't realize Taiwan and RED China loved each other so much.
I also think its nice that the REDs think they can put their own MPEG4 decoder on the DVD players (since they make them), so we won't get raped by our own US media warlords.
Good riddance to tape.
Michael Ansbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:12 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm a bit torn though. I want the great things solidstate storage will bring (how much cheaper/simpler SHOULD a camcorder be with no tape mechanism!! yeehaa!) but at the same time they are both capture-to and store-aswell devices the good ol' tapes. i guess the answer lies with Blu-Ray perhaps. Either way... i'd prefer solidstate even given this dilemma. All that space and technicality saved by getting rid of a damn tape mechanism just has a huge appeal itself without even thinking about teh time saved in captureing to hard drives at as-fast-as-your-drives-can-copy speeds :D
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Long as we're on the subject, where is that Pana DV50 cardcam AJ-SPX800.
I see it advertised, but of course B&H doesn't carry anything above DV25.
I'm sure this is not a conspiracy or anything.

I really think it makes more sense to be hot swapping the video cards into a portable computer and editing (dumping the bad takes) in the field.
I know that some documentarians like to take a thousand hours of video, then spend a year agonizing over the junk.
For that, you need tape.
I hope they enjoy it.
Michael Ansbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Michael,

I was also thinking that as well. The same positives digital cameras brought. Delete the, ahem, bad shots asap. *G*
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #7

While we ponder the possibilities of such a project-on-a-stamp medium, consider what you would be willing to / what you expect to spend for such luxury. $1,000? $1,500? $2,000?

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old August 10th, 2004, 11:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Ken,

yes thats what i was having a stab at when i emphasized "should" in a previous post. What do you readers think when it comes to cost and r&d and manufacturing etc. Tape Mechanisms and Tapes Vurses a Lump of Silocone with some copper connections and a Bay for it to seat? Sure R&D / testing etc may take a lot of $$$$... but i'm in the fabrication industry and the savings would seem to be far greater. So it should be cheaper by a country mile and then some!

Sadly i think we'll cop a bit of the ol' "its new... its cool... lets make it expensive" routine. :/
Old August 10th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #9

Further research and closer inspection of the announcement indicates that the 2-TByte claim is actually misleading. The ?card design could theoretically accommodate such a capacity. But so could Sony's Memory Stick. It's unlikely that such capacities will be offered any time soon.

The theoretical bandwidth spec is the more practical attraction of the announcement. But what communication platform will be sufficiently prevalent to make even this practical any time soon?

Old August 11th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #10
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Further research and closer inspection of the announcement indicates that the 2-TByte claim is actually misleading. The ?card design could theoretically accommodate such a capacity. But so could Sony's Memory Stick. It's unlikely that such capacities will be offered any time soon.

The theoretical bandwidth spec is the more practical attraction of the announcement. But what communication platform will be sufficiently prevalent to make even this practical any time soon? -->>>

Ken you've hit the head of the nail. This doesn't even qualify as a paper launch.

The bandwidth is nice but they're selling people on 2TB as if the first version of the card is going to hit that amount. Reality is they will probably start at 512MB and work their way up. Frankly I grow tired of press release like this. There's no mention of costs or manufacturer support which leads me to believe it's all theoretical.

In 2 years we'll all laugh at how Intel had stated LCOS 60" TVs could be $2000. Yeah and they could be $4000 also. The tech industry is filled with far too much hype. Remember FMD and how that was supposed to revolutionize optical recording. They never really worked the bugs out to take off.

We need products with deliverable timeframes.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Well said Mr Murchison,

I feel exactly the same. Your example was one fo the ones i was sour on as well and still have it in my mind... those elusive clear FMD discs!! There are so many more i have seen when sit back and remember them. So many "revolutionary" news releases of items that just seem to disapear and never happen, it does indeed piss me off. Thats why i like Canon... they say "hey we got this" untill its 2 weeks from being in a shop :D
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #12
Wrangler

Of course, you guys know the correct terminology for this sort of thing is 'vaporware'. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of announcements that did just that...they vaporized, never to be heard of again.

I do think we will probably moving away from tape altogether within the next decade.

regards,
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News