Sony plans to put 3D televisions in homes by the end of next year - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
I am surprised nobody in this thread has seen the Philips 3D lenticular technology. ...... The 3D effect was astounding, it really was surreal. The 42" set is around U.S. $10k. 3D glasses are already outdated, that is old technology.
But there you are talking about something much more expensive, and something that is "a 3D TV". The point about the other technologies is that fundamentally they are basic 2D screens (at a similar price) which can be used with glasses to get a 3D effect. In other words, easy enough for all screens to "3D capable" (at little extra cost), so why not get one even if you don't expect to use it much for 3D?

Heck, you don't seem to be able to get a screen that isn't HD-Ready now, regardless of whether you can receive HD, I can see a similar situation with "3D Ready".
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #47
Inner Circle

I think David has hit the nail on the head. In the UK Sky TV are now capitalising on the fact that many homes now have HD ready TV's but are not subscribing to their HD service. They are now trying to convert these SD subscribers to HD with incentives such as free HD receivers etc.

Sony already have a broad range of LCD HD TV's with 100Hz refresh rates. It will be very simple to make these 3D ready and for Sony only cost a few dollars per set. How much the consumer will have to pay is another question, but if I was going in to a store to buy a new TV and had a choice of a regular set for $500 or a 3D ready set for $550 I'de be inclined to buy the 3D Ready set.

As a 3D fan and producer of several 3D shorts, obviously I am keen to see 3D broadcasting. Even so I don't think it will be as main stream as HD until some kind of glasses free technology matures to the point where it is un-noticable, has a wide viewing angle and costs little more than a regular TV. Until then 3D is likely to be reserved for movies, high end drama, sports and high end documentaries.
Old September 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
.........if I was going in to a store to buy a new TV and had a choice of a regular set for $500 or a 3D ready set for $550 I'de be inclined to buy the 3D Ready set.
I foresee them selling the 3D ready set for more like the same price.

My logic:
1/ Gives them a selling point over other manufacturers - "ours is 3D ready!".
2/ Forget about the extra $50 per screen - make your money selling the special glasses. A household may buy one with the screen "to try it out", then everyone in the family doesn't want to be left out, so oh OK, we'll buy a few more pairs so everybody can have one.
3/ Kick start the uptake. So more consumers say "where's the programming?" So broadcasters see a demand - and have to buy the new cameras to produce it. Win-win for manufacturers making the 3D ready screens?
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News