Theaters will be able to detain pirates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Theaters will be able to detain pirates

Theater owners will soon be able to detain camcorder-pirates who use camcorders to illegally record movies. Also, using camcorders in movie theaters will soon be a federal offense, punishable by up to 3 to 5 years in prison. You must be a subscriber to view the complete link on www.videobusiness.com
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:02 AM   #2
Air China Pilot

If you break a law any citizen can place you under citizen's arrest.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:38 AM   #3
Major Player

This legislation frees theaters from litigation arising from that detention. Theater chains are not individual citizens, but commercial institutions, so the legal rules are probably different for them. I doubt movie theaters are really going to enforce this anyway.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:41 AM   #4
Wrangler

Do you have another link to an article about this, or the name/number of the law so we could read about it without having to signup for yet another annoying website that will send us spam? ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:57 AM   #5
Trustee

Wow, this is stupid

What moron making $5.50 an hour is going to risk their life detaining someone with a video camera? This whole thing is stupid. If pirates are going to get video...they're going to do it. The simple act of videotaping a screen (no matter where it is) - it's so easy and anyone can do it. Therefore, it's totally stupid to have theater employee's become security guards. It's like telling a waitress to detain a smoker in a non-smoking diner! You think some waitress wants to deal with that problem? She'd get killed detaining anyone. The same goes for someone videotaping at a theater...if the person shooting video knows the crime is mandatory jail time...come on! They will know exactly the ramifications because you'd have to be a moron (even more of a moron then the people coming up with this law) not to know going in their armed with a videocamera. I think by now everyone knows how illegal it is..

If I were a theater employee I'd ask what the Hell the owners plan to do when the criminal shoots them...or stabs them or even punches their lights out. The owners are going to say tough sh*t...and point to some small print on their employee manual that says something like, "We are not responsible for anything that happens between you and a customer when their is a physical altercation."

You know what's really moronic? The studios who make these films send the film canisiters to theater via regular shipping services (UPS etc). I worked at a local indie theater that played first run movies too. The canisters were sometimes left at the door...in plain view of anyone walking outside on a busy street. Most of the time the door was unlocked! Anyone could reach in and take away the latest blockbuster that just came out that weekend. It's totally insane...the movie studios should start with themselves first and then work their way down the food chain. They are the ones sending new 35mm films in the damn mail every week! I had to grab the canisters and get them ready for projecting asap everytime I went to work...always thinking how insanely stupid it was that they were left out in the open before I got there.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:08 AM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : Do you have another link to an article about this, or the name/number of the law so we could read about it without having to signup for yet another annoying website that will send us spam? ;-) -->>>

videobusiness.com is spam free, I have been a member for a while now. Just make sure you uncheck the box that gives them permission to send you e-mail. It's also a superb source of DVD industry news. Lately I've been thinking, though, maybe piracy isn't all that bad. Maybe piracy is the one thing that keeps Hollywood in check with their outrageous budgets. I would imagine that if it weren’t for piracy, things would just go up and up and up… But piracy does have a bad effect on the little guy...like me :(
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:01 PM   #7
Major Player

I really wonder how many people don't buy the dvd or go see the movie because they downloaded the version that was shot by someone holding a camcorder in a movie theatre?

The only thing that happens is it gives a chance for you to watch the movie again between the time its in the theatres and the time when it gets to dvd.

The quality is so bad I can't even stand to watch one of them anyways.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:15 PM   #8
Major Player

This new law is a joke, though, because theaters don't even care about stopping people from sneaking into one screening to the next....if you can even call it sneaking at all....it's more like a cinema buffet, if anything.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

.....other than "because they can" I never did get this bootleg piracy thing. Viewing a crummy rip-off to "save" a few dollars denigrates the experience; which is the point of the movie in the first place. Those satisfied with such inferior products seem so mentally and emotionally handicapped to find that appealing.
Besides the hardcore few fans for nostalgia purposes of a live performance of say, a concert; is there THAT much of a market for illogical scams??????
(At least a fake Rolex will still tell the correct time and so may be an enduring value, but a crappy (movie) reproduction will ALWAYS be still just a CRAPPY reproduction!!!!)
Douglas Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM   #10
Major Player

This crime is soooo low on the food chain. I'm embarrassed that the law has even been passed.

Note to all theater employees. Listen to Chris. If you are the only thing that seperates freedom from 3-5 in Leavenworth I fear for your safety.

Hollywood and the Feds are a little too close IMO.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

<< What moron making $5.50 an hour is going to risk their life detaining someone with a video camera? >>

What I want to know is, what kind of moron would pay to watch the resulting video? With the boomy, echoing soundtrack...

Murph, how many times did you use the word "moron" in your post anyway? ;-)

Thanks for the great link, Glenn! From a former projectionist,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #12
Wrangler

Re: Wow, this is stupid

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : What moron making $5.50 an hour is going to risk their life detaining someone with a video camera? -->>>

Murph, you'd be surprised...
Lots.

They key word is "moron".
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #13
Inner Circle

The theater employees will call the police.

The moron video taping the movie will get an unpleasant surprise sometime during the show. And if the moron taping the movie is dumb enough to risk 15 to 20 years for fighting a cop, then....

hehehe
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #14
Trustee

I do tend to repeat myself...what a "moron" I am!
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #15
Trustee

All anyone needs to do is step in front of the person's camcorder a couple of times during the most intense parts of the movie and the video will be useless. No?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News