Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 HDV Plugin Released at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 7th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 HDV Plugin Released

You can now download the Premiere Pro native HDV plugin from adobe's website. They call it the Premiere 1.5.1 update. here is the link:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=98&platform=Windows

Unfortunatley, users of Premiere Pro can't install it until you upgrade to version 1.5. So that leaves me without support. Adobe really screwed its users. Releasing a new version of Premiere before they ever even updated it. If anyone get to try this out please let me know if its good or not so that i may consider upgrading. I am a little hesitant although, Adobe, because i don't know what your plans are for releasing Premiere Pro 2. My luck it will be next month or something along that line. >>done with my rant against adobe>>
Jared Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Jared,

Yeah, I may have thought the 1.5 upgrade showed up quickly, but certainly never felt "screwed" for getting substantial new features for $99 in a $699 software package...that aside from the included bug fixes (which Adobe would be smart to be more open about -- after all, ALL software has bugs).

The 1.5.1 update is purely an HDV update, as noted in this thread already in progress:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=40314

Thus, unless you've traded in the DVX100 and/or XL1 listed in your profile for an HDV camera, then there's no need to feel "screwed."

I'm no apologist for Adobe, as I do think that they choose to keep tight-lipped to their own detriment rather than behaving in a forthcoming manner with issues. Still, back when PPro 1.0 was the current version, they didn't advertise it as native HDV, so nobody who has that version ought to feel an entitlement to that feature, limited though it may be. If you have jumped into HDV, then the $99 for the upgrade is a pittance compared to all you've spent already and well worth it...but as you read the thread linked above, notice there are those who complain about Adobe because Cineform shrewdly limited the features from their technology that they licensed to Adobe. And there's those of us disappointed that there weren't other updates and fixes thrown in after such a LONG wait for the update. Can't please all the people all the time.

As I hinted at above, though, I think that 1.5 is absolutely must-have; no software is perfect, but 1.5 leaves every previous version, including 1.0 in the dust.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #3
New Boot

I have Premiere Pro 1.5 at work. But i bought Premiere Pro for personal use- the whole Adobe Professional Suite. Which is why i feel a little bit "screwed" because the upgrade for me is a little bit more than just $99. I ususally upgrade the whole suite rather than tid-bits here and there. I was unhappy that adobe slid past there faithful costumers who stayed with adobe from premiere 6 and 6.5, and jumped premiere pro without any bug fixes straight to a 1.5 version. It was a dissapointment, because the upgrade features (that are very useful in 1.5) where is many of the other leading titles at the time also. Many other editing apps have added features into the program without charging to keep with the industry trend. I am not in charge of adobe, but i think it was a mistake to there customers to abandon the orginal pro so quickly is really what i am trying to say. I complain, but still love the integration between ppro, ae, photoshop, encore, and audition. you can't beat the capabilities adobe's bundle has combined.
Jared Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Wrangler

I understand how you feel about PPro 1.0 not having any bug fixes. All software has bugs, and most of us feel it is the manufacturer's responsibility to fix known bugs. Adobe does hurt their own reputation by being so reticent about such things. They have obviously chosen not to expend more resources on v1.0, but did offer us customers an inexpensive yet significant upgrade -- which now has been updated for free (and let's hope gets another update for small fixes like the 24p strobing issue). The merits of that are arguable (amongst us customers), but not negotiable (with Adobe); it's a done deal. All we can do is give customer feedback at the Adobe web site (have you done so?) and vote with our wallets.

Beyond that, I'm just not sure what additional information you're looking for...the thread linked above is discussing the 1.5.1 free HDV update and you have PPro 1.5 at work. If I understand correctly, you have the Adobe Video Collection Professional v2.0 at home and haven't chosen to upgrade it to 2.5 for $249. Of course, if your version of the Suite is an earlier one than that, yes, it'll probably cost more to get up-to-date.

FWIW, my opinion is that the really excellent new features and upgrades in all of the Collection's applications make that a bargain upgrade for a $1500 software suite.

Whether or not you should wait to upgrade until the next version is out is a personal decision. No telling when Collection v3 will be here...it has been almost a year since the 2.5 Collection was announced at NAB in April 2004.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News