new Sanyo camcorders and iMovie with iFrame at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 13th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

new Sanyo camcorders and iMovie with iFrame

Sanyo released new versions of previous camcorders, now known as the VPC-HD2000A and VPC-FH1A with iFrame technology and Apple just released a new version of iMovie today with iFrame technology. This will allow importing direct from the camcorder to the computer in a format that can be easily edited without transcoding. Previously the HD2000 was not even available in the US.

Currently when I import from my FH1 into iMovie, I can import at full 1920X1080 res, but it takes a lot of horsepower to edit these files. Another option is to transcode (takes time) to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) typically at 960X540, creating huge files but that are easy to edit. For YouTube, Vimeo, AppleTV work and many other not super high end work, this is a good option, and you can also store the original footage at full res for later editing as computers improve.

Reading between the lines, it appears that this iFrame technology is some sort of codec that is probably 960X540 but directly transfers to the computer and is easily edited.

The little Sanyo camcorders are reasonably priced, and are great as "vacation" camcorders. They don't have very good image stabilization, but if you can live with that limitation, they are a bargain. They both offer 1920X1080 60p (but not in the iFrame format).

Links:

SANYO :: News :: SANYO Dual Cameras are World?s First with iFrame Video Format

SANYO :: Dual Cameras :: VPC-FH1ABK Full 1080p HD Video and 8MP Digital Photos

SANYO :: Dual Cameras :: VPC-HD2000ABK Full 1080p HD Video and 8MP Digital Photos

iMovie update reveals new Apple video format | Apple - CNET News
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Much appreciated -- thanks for posting this, David!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Trustee

Although it’s still digital, I do wonder if the stabilizer is as bad as the previous versions. It could be better for all we know. That’s Sanyo’s biggest weakness and if they fix that then I can easily predict that Sony, Panasonic, Canon, and JVC will not be releasing camcorders with much higher prices for much longer.

I’ve always though that the previous camcorders have gotten a lot of unfair criticism just because of the stabilizer. It costs much less than the competition and with 1080 60p, you can make excellent slow motion sequences. I see that as a huge feature that easily gets overlooked. Never mind the fact that the lowlight capabilities of the HD2000 for example, allegedly rivals the competition.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Another serious weakness is the AF. It's very sensitive to changes in scene contrast and the subject's movement, very fickle. The transition is also not smooth. I suspect Sanyo simply utilized the AF algorithm for still photography and employed it in both the still and video modes. If the new cams can overcome these two weaknesses, there wouldn't be much of a reason to buy the Sonys, Canons or Panasonics at the current premiums.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #5
Trustee

I've had both the HD2000 and the FH1 for several months (bought the Japanese version) and the image quality is just amazing. I use Cineform to transcode.
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Trustee

I too agree the Sanyo HD 1010 to produce very sharp video- the biggest drawback has been loss of shadow detail as the camera seems to crush blacks a bit. If they improve the shadow detail and fix the weird blue/aqua cast on blue skies, the camera would be fantastic!
Ohh and in case you guys might have missed this- the new HD2000 now has a 16X optical zoom lens- which is fantastic in it's form factor!
I just wish they'd allow for the full 17mbps data rate at the 720p setting- which is fixed at 9mbps which is the same as the CG10.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News