DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Sony XR550V and CX550V (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/470764-sony-xr550v-cx550v.html)

Dave Blackhurst January 10th, 2010 02:49 PM

Sony XR550V and CX550V

I posted in the AVCHD format discussion as it's probably more interest over there, but these two new flagship "consumer" cameras have some interesting updates...

"up to 24Mbps" - finally using the full bitrate!

Iris/shutter control now available via the control knob/button. About time!

New bigger 3.5" LCD, both models have viewfinder!

Different lens ratio than last years models - more "wide", less tele range. Same EXMOR R sensor.

Still don't see alternate framerate options, but... the comparison between these and the HF-S21 (which got lots of nice updates TOO!) should be even more interesting this year!

They also announced a couple pocket size still cams with "full HD" 1920x1080/30p video, the DSC-TX7 and DSC-HX5, utilizing a 10.2Mpixel EXMOR-R.

Andy Wilkinson May 8th, 2010 03:39 AM

Never mind....Posted in the wrong thread in error.

Erik Phairas May 8th, 2010 06:32 PM

I don't even use the full bitrate of the SR11 most of the time. Gives me more record time on the pro duo. :)

Paul Cronin May 9th, 2010 10:48 AM

Hi Dave,

Do you own one of the new cameras? If so have you tried it with the Convergent Design Nano?

Dave Blackhurst May 9th, 2010 01:10 PM

Hi Paul -
Don't have the camera yet, still using last years models, they are essentially the same, or "close enough" until I run into a CX550 to "upgrade" to. I don't have an external recorder either... though it might be interesting given the supposed 1080p output on the HDMI on these new ones.

David Dwyer May 9th, 2010 02:29 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but is there Sony pro consumer camcorder with a res of 2k and plus?

I have the CX105 and its upto 17mpbs and its a good little camera.

Paul Cronin May 10th, 2010 07:03 AM

Thanks Dave interesting to know how the CX550 works out when you pick one up. I would bet the Nano would be a perfect tool for the camera.

Ronan Fournier May 11th, 2010 03:44 AM

Hi Paul,

I use a CX-550 as a second camera with the NanoFlash. See: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/converge...ash-rocks.html

The picture is very good except in full zoom which gives some Chromatic Aberrations. You may use manual controls but not in the same time (focus and exposition for instance). The video signal through the HDMI output is immediatly recongize by the Nano. This couple is a light and cheap 4.2.2 camcorder!

Paul Cronin May 11th, 2010 06:46 AM

Thanks Ronan we are looking for a small crash camera that has better picture quality then my POV GoPro 1080 cameras and thought this might work well. Do you have clips with and without the nano?

Ronan Fournier May 11th, 2010 06:56 AM

I can doing that right now. Give me 15mn!

Paul Cronin May 11th, 2010 06:59 AM

Ronan don't go out of your way.

Ronan Fournier May 11th, 2010 08:09 AM

CX500's AVCHD vs NAnoFlash's MPEG2 1080i@100MB/s

Sorry for the delay (phone calls and long uploading times)

So here are two files of the same shot: Index of /Nano&CX550
- one is straight from the Sony CX550 (AVCHD @ 24MB/s, readable with VLC (may not be fluent depending of your computer)
- the other was recordered through CX550's HDMI output on the Convergent Design NanoFlash. It's a .Mov file of 1080i MPEG2 @ 100MB/s readable with QuickTime player for instance.

It has been quickly made so the composing is not pretty and the picture is poor becasue of the bad weather right now in Paris, but I think you may appreciate the better colors and a litlle more sharpness (on the little green tree at the top) of the file recorded with the Nano.

Paul Cronin May 11th, 2010 09:14 AM

Ronan thank you.