Sony HDR-CX550 + NanoFlash: it rocks! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old March 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony HDR-CX550 + NanoFlash: it rocks!

Guys I'm so happy to see the great picture the Nano offers with this new small and cheap camcorder ($1200), I have to tell it to somebody!
I mainly use the Nano with the Canon XL-H1, but for specific uses (underwater, night time, crane), I tried also the Canon HV20 connected through its HDMI output. I just bough the new Sony CX-550 to replace the HV20, because this camcorder offers a wilder angle (30mm-like in 24x36) and is really much more sensitive without ading too much noise. I was a bit anxious to see if the Nano would accept the HDMI 1080i output of the CX550, but it succeeds pretty well!
It's so great to have such image quality in darkness for the price of a consumer camcorder + the Nano, so thanks again CD!
I have to test that further but it sounds really promissing.
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Major Player

NanoFlash Memo

Since I have now two different camcorders and have to quickly change the settings in the Nano's menus, I've created a short memo in an Excel file.
It's my personnal check list, for the orginal XL-H1 and CX550 camcorders, but it may help other users who would like to write their own setting according to their own camcorder.
I hope this helps!
The file is here:
Attached Files
File Type: xls NanoFlash Memo.xls (20.0 KB, 410 views)
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Nice!

Of course this is the kind of thing that I believe Dan was talking about as a future menu function - the ability to save different setups and recall with a single selection!

In the meantime - from a software perspective - you might consider adding another (narrow) column with a logic function to look for differences in settings between the two columns - something like =+IF(D10=E10,"same","different")- and display an asterisk or exclamation point -- I do things like that to show what needs to be changed when moving from one settings set to the other. (My syntax is probably off because I don't use excel, but that's the idea...)
Best,
Dave S.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Hello Dave,
Thank you, that's a very good idea!
However I don't know how to program Excel in order to program the column as you suggested. So, in my version of the doc, I have now higlighted in red colors the 5 settings that need to be changed in the Nano menu when switching my camcorders.
Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey