Vimeo now does 1080P - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 6th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
Nobody has an answer to this question?
Just export to H.264 and no lower than a bit rate of 8. Obviously the more the better.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Sadly that seems rather unlikely. HTML5 is still only a draft standard. Apple with Safari supports the <video> tag well but Microsoft does not support it all in Internet Explorer. Google Chrome supports HTML5 video (unsurprising as they own YouTube). Both Opera & Firefox only support the HTML5 <video> tag with the open source Ogg video CODEC & not H.264 MPEG video that the other browsers do.
You are right to be pessimistic about HTML5's video tag, but there is so much enthusiasm for it in the web developer community that viable implementations have started to emerge. For example, web designers can use the <video> tag, which will be supported by the roughly 50% of visitors who use a non-IE browser. The <video> tag can take multiple source files (one in Ogg format, another in MP4/H.264) and the browser will detect and choose the file type that it supports. If a visitor arrives using Internet Explorer, a script can replace the <video> content with a flash player that plays the MP4 version of the file.

I've done some demos of this technique and others have already started implementing it in the wild. Users of modern browsers get their open standards and better performance, users of IE still get their video via flash, and everybody's happy!

It's far from perfect, but it's progress. Internet Explorer will continue to hold things back, but that's all the more reason why anyone who can switch to a standards-compliant browser (Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome, etc.) should do so and start using HTML5 video wherever it is offered.

Don't give up hope! Let your voice be heard! Vote with your mouse!

OK, stepping off soapbox now...
Reed Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Except the web developer who now needs to produce two versions of each video file & muck about with extra coding rather than just embedding a simple Flash player:-)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Touché. : )
Reed Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #35
Trustee

I used to really like Vimeo for hosting video, but it's go so slow recently that most of my customers are complaining about the load times - 1080p can only make it worse.
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #36
Major Player

I always found vimeo to be much more stable when it comes to load times. Youtube is so hit and miss.
Old April 20th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I use 8bit highest quality H.264 in my 720p (25frame PAL) coded with Procoder 3 and send it too Vimeo. I have paid for my account so I get 2 passes of encoding instead of one when you have a free account.

Filmed with Panasonic HPX171 and HPX301 edit with Cineform Prospect HD and Premiere Pro CS3.

(This is in Swedish thought)

Mikael Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Bergstrom View Post
I use 8bit highest quality H.264 in my 720p (25frame PAL) coded with Procoder 3 and send it too Vimeo. I have paid for my account so I get 2 passes of encoding instead of one when you have a free account.

Filmed with Panasonic HPX171 and HPX301 edit with Cineform Prospect HD and Premiere Pro CS3.

(This is in Swedish thought)
Hi Mikael, very impressive video and though I couldn't understand the narrative :) it looks to be a great location .. thanks for posting.

You might be using one I can't really tell but for outdoor scenes like that a B+W 502 gray graduated ND filter works wonders. It reduces exposure 2 stops at the upper half of the scene bringing out detail on the lower half.

B+W 502 Graduated ND filter

I leave mine on all the time outdoors.

Cheers.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Thanks Allan

I know Swedish is hard to understand some times (ha ha ha) I think this will come in English soon (I hope) so you fellows could understand the spoken words. It's sooooo beautiful place, you should try to go there some day!!!

The music is played and written by me thought.

I don't use the B+W 502 gray graduated ND filter but I will for sure buy one, it's a sweet product.

The picture on the "potato", "children who throw snow", "waitress who related to herring in jars" and the "family outside in the snow" is shot with HPX301 in AVC-Intra 100 in 25fps in 720p and this make such a difference. The rest is shot in DVCPRO HD 1440 scaled down with Cineform Prospect HD to 720p.

Best Regards
Mikael
Six String Studio
Mikael Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #40
Regular Crew

IE9 will support HTML5

Microsoft general manager for Internet Explorer Dean Hachamovitch noted this his company is throwing its weight behind the H.264 standard promoted by Apple for future HTML5 video content:

The future of the web is HTML5. Microsoft is deeply engaged in the HTML5 process with the W3C. HTML5 will be very important in advancing rich, interactive web applications and site design. The HTML5 specification describes video support without specifying a particular video format. We think H.264 is an excellent format. In its HTML5 support, IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only.

This is taken from http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/201...ml5-video.aspx
Ng Chee Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #41
Major Player

I have 2 clips that are about 3gig but I want to get them under 1 gig, what setting in Compressor would you recommend that would be BEST for Vimeo? Both Clips are 720.

Thanks
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #42
Major Player

Nigel,

Thanks for mentioning SmugMug. I have had several complaints from music video clients who don't understand that dropped frames from vimeo is not my fault; but have just done a test run with SmugMug and playback is perfect, so I think they'll be getting my money.

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Vaughan,

I am glad that you are happy with my recommendation. I think the difference between the two services is that SmugMug was set up as a commercial service for professional photographers to display & sell their products & moving into video is a logical extension of that service for their customers. Vimeo is basically a social networking site that charges to host your videos. In any case as I read Vimeo's T&Cs commercial use is forbidden but this seems to be widely ignored & even tacitly allowed.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News