New AG-HMC80 from Panasonic is $2895, coming in September. Shoulder mount AVCCAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 11th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New AG-HMC80 from Panasonic is $2895, coming in September. Shoulder mount AVCCAM

New AG-HMC80 from Panasonic is $2895, coming in September. Shoulder mount AVCCAM

Memory Card Camera-Recorder "AG-HMC80"
AVCHD and DV camera shoulder support both low-cost

Just twitted by studio daily and one japanese site, any info will be appreciated especially from those attending NAB 2010.
Attached Images

Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Trustee

I wonder if it is a HMC40 in a larger form factor. If so it could be a very nice camera except for low light. The price point seems right since the HMC40 has such a low price point already.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Trustee

Panasonic USA Pressroom

here is the press release. It also links to a zip file with a bunch of high res images. From what I can tell it does sound a lot like the HMC40 in a large form factor. Killer product for the price.
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Will this cam not be in direct competition against sony nxcam at price point? hope it will not have buffer problems associated with nxcams recently.
Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Not really. The Panasonic HMC40 while an amazing camera it still uses 1/4" Cmos chips which means the low light is not very good compared to other cameras. If the HMC80 is using the same chips then I would expect the low light to be fairly equal to the HMC40. If you need a robust camera to shoot in low light or any light situation then a higher end camera will still be better.

In decent light however the HMC series of cameras is equal in quality to cameras costing 4x as much. If you know you will always shoot in good light then these cameras will blow you away.

What we don't know yet from the press release is if the Cmos sensors are 1/4" like the HMC40 or bigger. Given the price point of the camera I am going to assume that they are 1/4".
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Well I am only looking at it from the price angle since both are recording AVCHD, low light capability might be the same given the technology of 1/3inch imager of HPX 307 vs 1/2inch imager of sony EX3
Olakunle Olanrewaju is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News