New from Blackmagic for USB 3.0! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New from Blackmagic for USB 3.0!

Can't believe no one has posted this:

Blackmagic Design

HDMI and component capture at 10 bit. A usb 3.0 equipped laptop and this could be a great combo.

Thomas
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Major Player

I am a big fan of their products - now what camera outputs 10 bit HDMI?
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That's true. I didn't think about that. But at least you can capture with cineform or some other good codec, as compared to the cameras compression. They also have the UltraStudio Pro that is also usb 3.0 and has SDI but is 895.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Trustee

What laptop has USB3? Too bad the new Mac Book Pros do not. Now it is going to be at least another year before we may see USB3 on a Mac laptop. I could actually forgive Apple for not putting an expresscard slot on the 13" and 15" MBP if they had USB3
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Trustee

Never mind I just found out the HP Envy 15 has a USB3 port if you get the one with an i7 cpu. Would be nice to know if the Blackmagic USB3 capture device would work with the Envy 15. I checked the Blackmagic website and they list a x58 chipset for support but that could be just what they tested since at the time there may not have been any USB3 laptops.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Major Player

I purchased a Buffalo Tech USB 3.0 to attach to storage. It turns out you can get around 188 MB/sec from USB 3.0. But that's not fast enough for Dual Link HD SDI 10-bits at 4:4:4. I think your better off capturing the uncompressed video off your HDMI or SDI straight to your high speed RAID system (PCIe interface) using one of the advanced capture interfaces from Black magic Design. Your good DAS attached RAID systems can easily sustained write speed data rates for all the best HD SDI codec. (Single SDI SMPTE 292M / HDTV (1.485Gbps & 1.485 / 1.001Gbps) which comes out to about 370MB/sec for Dual HD SDI. Here is Black Magic's write up on their product: Fully compatible with SD-SDI and HD-SDI 4:2:2, new DeckLink HD Extreme 3D also features Dual Link HD-SDI 4:4:4 connections for feature film quality. Dual Link 4:4:4 is used on the latest Sony HDCAM SR decks, and contains additional color detail giving you full RGB color bandwidth and extra precision of up to 10 bit SDI video. When connected via PCI Express to a host computer, this higher quality video can be captured and played back completely uncompressed for amazing feature film quality.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I wouldn't expect to get 4:4:4 for something at that price, this is more of a low cost solution for 4:2:2 for all the 4:2:0 camera owners. Although it's a shame apple doesn't have the balls anymore to adopt new technology quicker (USB 3 drivers. bluray, i5/i7 took ages), seems like they have to pussyfoot around it for a couple years before thinking about it, then maybe give it to us as a new feature.
Nevin Styre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
Never mind I just found out the HP Envy 15 has a USB3 port if you get the one with an i7 cpu. Would be nice to know if the Blackmagic USB3 capture device would work with the Envy 15. I checked the Blackmagic website and they list a x58 chipset for support but that could be just what they tested since at the time there may not have been any USB3 laptops.
Buyer warning: The HP Envy is terribly built and has had hardware and software issues from Day 1. Molly Wood confirmed it on TWiT.

Also, Windows only for now. I can see a decent laptop with 2 USB 3.0 Ports, having one going to this new Intensity box and another going to a pair of RAID-0 Sandforce SATA2 SSDs (or 1 SATA 6GB/s SSD) for a portable capture solution. (once the mobile Chipsets support USB 3 and have the bandwidth to carry all the data)

Apple seems to be focused less on computers now and more on consumer devices like the iPad and iPhone. It shows in the lack of advancement in the Mac lineup in the past several months.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
seems like they have to pussyfoot around it for a couple years before thinking about it, then maybe give it to us as a new feature.
Apple are concentrating on Light Peak development. Something that will be far more useful than a straightforward interface such as USB3.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #10
New Boot

The Dell M5600 has USB 3.0 - spendy box though...
Rich Herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM   #11
Major Player

Would a USB 3.0 ExpressCard Adapter plugged into a laptop work? That would certainly expand your options and possibly eliminate having to buy a whole new laptop.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:43 PM   #12
Regular Crew

This is what I was looking to do. I just bought a Sager laptop about a year ago and not in the market for a new one. Anyone know?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:32 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Startech has USB 3.0 Expresscard with 2 ports.

ExpressCard USB 3.0 Card - 2 Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 ExpressCard - StarTech.com

But the huge disadvantage to that is bandwidth...

Expresscard is basically PCI-E x1. There is no way that it can do full bandwidth both ways, only one way. 2 of these Expresscards on 2 completely separate slots would work, but using both ports on a single card will result in severe bottlenecking and dropped frames in uncompressed capture.

The only real card that does full bandwidth both ways is the ASUS U3S6: Newegg.com - ASUS Model U3S6 USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s Add-on card (It's PCI-E x4)

We'll have to wait for the Intel 6 series chipsets for native USB 3.0 with no bottlenecking on a mobile platform.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News