Time to say goodbye to HDMI? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Closed Thread

Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Time to say goodbye to HDMI?

From TV business kisses HDMI goodbye

Quote:
Designed by a coalition of consumer electronics manufacturers, including Sony, Samsung, LG and Valens, HDBaseT promises to not only carry video and audio signals, but also provide a network connection, a USB signal and even electricity using a single cable.
The full story at the link.

Andrew
Old July 4th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Just what we need, another cable...
Old July 4th, 2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Trustee

As long as the inventor of the Firewire cable isn't involved. Why do cables keep getting worse? USB was a great design, but FW sucked and HDMI is almost as weak.

Just another way for Best Buy to rip us off on cables.
Old July 4th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #4

But HDMI is a cable standard with a very nasty surprise of the time-bomb kind. Hopefully this new standard won't also contain the same bogie-monster.

Once the HDMI people throw the switch, you'll be clamoring for this replacement standard. ... and just in the nick of time.

Andrew
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Wrangler

The HDbaseT article clearly stated that you will be able to use existing Cat5e/6 cable. Yay! A super cheap, ubiquitous, reliable, cable and connector! Less cabling behind my home theater cabinet is a good thing in my book.

It doesn't appear that this is an "HDMI time bomb" but rather a fairly dated decision by AACS LA to phase out analog outputs on HD devices...as the opinion piece indicates via quote from an unnamed manufacturer, industry may or may not honor this agreement (or negotiate to change/delay it) when the time comes. Tech changes with time; that's just a fact of life.
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yay...Another cable. Although after reading the HDMI article I understand why HDbaseT might be a better solution. The ability to transfer a significant amount of power (in terms of television) is a big plus (less power cords can only be a good thing).

About the HDMI thing, the Hollywood studios just don't get it...They're living in the past and are trying to fight the future with everything they can. That's not going to work for long anymore, and it's time they realised that and smartened up. Same for the music industry.

What I want more than anything else is one single cable which we DON'T have to change every 2 years, and one single cable that can be used for everything. At the moment we have HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort for HD video. Why can't they just pick one, future-proof it as much as possible, and stick with it? What's so hard about that? For data, we have FireWire, USB, and soon Light Peak. Again, can't they all choose to go for one? It would be great if the updates could be done in firmware rather than buying new cables whenever a new standard comes out, but I guess it's a whole money thing again...

I guess I'm in favour of this HDBaseT cable, because it uses the same cable as ethernet just with a different protocol. The cables are easy to find, very cheap, and reliable, and the best part in my eyes is that they're already widely used in the IT section and will continue to be for some time.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

In order to transmit 10.2 Gb at 100 meters, you will need Cat6e or Cat7 (used for copper based 10G-baset networks). Using Cat6 will limit the length to 15 meters. Still, if this becomes a standard, it bodes well for setting up your home for multi-room entertainment.
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Major Player

Joe, did you +1 to everything when you said "Cat6e & Cat7" when everything I read about HDbaseT talks about "Cat5e & Cat6"? Where are you getting your 15m limit?

To me I'm really excited about this. I do need to read up on DiiVA & Display Port some more, but if they can deliver everything they say they can with HDbaseT, then.... WOW!

This would be trans-formative for entire home entertainment systems. Everything in your entire house is connected to everything in your entire house. Music, TV, movies, internet. Living room, kitchen, bedroom, bath room. Watch / listen / surf anywhere you want via one small cable that is currently sold just about everywhere.

Even more just imagine running a Cat5e cable to a camera operator. If everyone gets on board, it seems possible that a single Cat5e cable can provide video, audio, comm, CCU control & power. That is just crazy! Even w/o the 100w of power, but with the power ability I'm amazed & excited.

Biggest selling point is that you can purchase 1000' of cable for about $70. Best Buy sells 10' HDMI cables for that price, so I guess retailers who inflate cable prices & the evil Monster Cable soul-less company might be the only ones who don't like this format. But for the consumer & professional it could be very exciting.
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Monster Cable et al can only love new cable formats. Those Cat5e cables look a little thin, and their connectors are only plastic. I'd feel much better if they all were much thicker and used gold or platinum plated connections. Of course, you'll only get the benefit if you "burn them in" with the correct audio and video calibration discs.
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #10

Also handy are the laser embossed directional arrows. Data flowing backwards over the link tends to break video codecs when it comes to playback.

Andrew
Old July 8th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Major Player

Sarcasm doesn't come across too well online, but I have to assume that you're joking Andrew Smith.

But people do come up with very creative ways to separate a fool from their money. I can only wait to see what gimmicks they come up with to try sell more expensive network cable.
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #12

Hi Zach,

It was indeed sarcasm, trusting that you were aware of what is almost an internet meme when it comes to overly expensive cables. Monster cable are a classic in this respect.

Such is the level of ridicule on the net when it comes to expensive cables and their claimed benefits, purported reviewers of the cable have gotten in on the act.

which is a classic in this respect. Well worth your time to read.

Enjoy!

Andrew
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #13

Also, a page of hand-picked highlights from the reviews on that page.

The best ethernet cable you can ever buy

Andrew
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for the link, somehow I hadn't seen it. Good for a Friday joke.

And thanks again for starting this thread, might have been a while until I came across HDBaseT. I now have real motivation to run network cables throughout my house.
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Hi Zach,

It was indeed sarcasm, trusting that you were aware of what is almost an internet meme when it comes to overly expensive cables. Monster cable are a classic in this respect.

Such is the level of ridicule on the net when it comes to expensive cables and their claimed benefits, purported reviewers of the cable have gotten in on the act.

I present you with this link which is a classic in this respect. Well worth your time to read.

Enjoy!

Andrew
I laughed out loud in a crowded coffee shop at this one:

Quote:
I accidentally dropped one end of my Denon cable into a glass of Tuscan whole milk I was drinking. Later when I finished my milk (yeah, I still drank it; should I not have done that?), my right arm (lost in an accident in 1987) spontaneously grew back.

Is that normal?
I'm still trying not to laugh.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News