Fortune Magazine says 3-D is dying already - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

Kevin,

I defer to Christopher Nolan:

Christopher Nolan Talks 3D, IMAX & ‘Inception’ - Screen Rant

He makes valid points on 3D, though I'm sure he'll do Batman 3 in 3D.

As a die hard Iron Man fan, I'd love to see Iron Man in true 3D!

heath
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #17
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I agree, 3D to 2D is a mistake. If you want 3D, shoot in 3D.
Whoops! I meant 2D to 3D.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #18
Major Player

Ha! I knew what you meant so it never registered that you'd had it backwards.
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #19
Major Player

I was somewhat surprized by the sudden onslaught of 3D TVs, 3D programming, and now "cheap" consumer 3D camcorders. (Note that I don't think the software you need to edit in 3D or the hardware is quite so cheap).

I mean, a lot of people are really just now getting on board with the whole HD thing... and even the 1080p thing.

Originally, I thought it would be a pain to have to always wear some glasses to watch TV, but even now, panel developers are making 3D screens where you don't need glasses anymore... so that is -a little- more doable.

I hope 3D kind of dies out really... because it makes me motion sick.

Plus, I'm not exactly sure what value it really adds....
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #20
Contributor

I do not like 3-D for the sake of 3-D. However, to predict its demise or hope for it to die seems shortsighted (no pun intended). Certain films could lend themselves very well to 3-D, both visually and for enhancing the experience. I saw Toy Story 3 in 3-D to see how Pixar handled the story AND the 3-D. I found it a wonderful experience to see it in 3-D and I did not feel Pixar did the 3-D portion for a gimmick. I have several clients that have expressed an interest in 3-D for corporate work based on the field they're in - and the benefits that 3-D could bring to the promotion of their products.

Having said all this, I strongly agree the studios have made a major mistake by jacking up prices for 3-D productions. It's like the oil companies constantly trying to raise prices while the average American (or anyone else in the world) is still struggling to make ends meet. At the slightest sign of economic improvement, up go gas and oil prices. The studios saw an uptick from 3-D and could not control themselves. All this does is lower everyone's willingness to spend money since they have less to spend!

Overall I like 3-D when used appropriately. But it's a mistake to think the general public will flock to it just because we're told to do it. Make quality films and documentaries that take advantage of what 3-D can offer and people will accept and buy in to it, but not overnight. Make it affordable to produce and more small production companies can and will embrace it (myself included) when it's appropriate for the project we're doing.
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

Here's another take on it:

Today3D: Is 3D Already Dying? Is Color TV Dying? Probably not.

I've really only seen two 3D movies in the past (close to) 3 years, Beowulf and Avatar, and both were incredible, though Beowulf had the better story.

Anyway, I'm a little excited about possibly using 3D in the future. But at the same time, I'm also not looking forward to wearing glasses at home. Non-glasses 3D will get me to switch.

And good point about the slow adoption of HD vs. the quickness of 3D. Studios, networks and electronics manufacturers saw the potential for both, but the money exploded with 3D. I was an early adopter of HD, and my friends and colleagues even thought it was odd that I bought a widescreen 1080i CRT HDTV (LCD and Plasma were still too expensive), and I still somewhat regret that 03 purchase of a then-new JVC HD10.

heath
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #22
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post

And good point about the slow adoption of HD vs. the quickness of 3D. Studios, networks and electronics manufacturers saw the potential for both, but the money exploded with 3D. I was an early adopter of HD, and my friends and colleagues even thought it was odd that I bought a widescreen 1080i CRT HDTV (LCD and Plasma were still too expensive), and I still somewhat regret that 03 purchase of a then-new JVC HD10.

heath
Heath, I remember the postings you made after you bought the HD10. Brave soul, you were one of the first to dip into the HD pool. Hey, I learned a lot reading your postings. That's why I didn't buy the HD10 - lol!
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

Glen,

Glad I could help! We did make a movie with the HD10, probably one of the first with that format. It's okay, I guess:

Release Me, a short film

Sorry about the quality--I encoded and uploaded it (from my old boss's PC since Google Video didn't support Mac back then) five years ago. We shot the film Dec. 2003.

On the bright side, I made back about $1500 in freelance shooting (shooting in DV, no less), sold the camera in 06 for $800 or so, and by buying it and blogging here, it helped launch my writing career. I co-wrote or contributed to two HD books with Douglas Spotted Eagle and Mark DiLeo; I wrote for MovieMaker; Videomaker; Digital Media Net; and now full time at TopTenREVIEWS. So something positive came out of that camera; it sure wasn't the quality! Long live the FX1 and Z1!

heath
Old July 29th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #24
MPS Digital Studios

Then there's this:

Cool Stuff: Anti-3D “Hollywood Swindle” T-Shirt | /Film

A t-shirt protesting the higher costs of watching 3D these days in theaters.

heath
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #25
New Boot

Fortune Magazine says 3-D is dying already

3-D has its place... and that's in the classroom... in this time, the investment needs to shift from the consumer to the student. The future of 3-D is in the classroom, where it will thrive and develop, to a "spectacle less" experience, while supplementing University fees...

Those of us who grew up seeing a short lived television series called "Whiz Kids" would empathize...

Don't get me wrong, it has its place, just not as the brain / heartbeat / lungs of the industry. It has been and always should remain at the end of all 3 extremes MEDICAL, EDUCATION and SPORTS, all of which should require a premium price anyways...

Lakers v Celtics?... Liverpool v Manchester United?... in 3-D?!? sure...

But definitely not the dude, doing that dance, with all his friends and the goldfish and the dog while eating a gross concoction of peanut butter, ketchup and hot sauce, and they play their personal gaming device while having cheerleaders on 3-DTube... ugh...
Aldric Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #26
Inner Circle

The last movie I went to this year was Avatar. When they jacked up the prices for both 2D and 3D, I decided to sit the summer out. So, they in effect lost 200.00 from me. It was very tempting to go see Inception, but I'll wait for the Blu-Ray. Same for Toy Story 3.

Thanks to NetFlix and Hulu, I can be very selective on Blu-Ray purchases too.

Families consisting of 4 or more are finding it difficult to justify paying 100.00 +. If they do, it cuts into the money they could have used for other activities.

Want the 3D immersive experience? Hang out at the mall food court and people watch.
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #27
MPS Digital Studios

Joe,

That's exactly right. I've read that they scaled back the "in 3D" parts of the ads for Toy Story 3 and Despicable Me. It was there, but I think Disney and Universal understood that parents were sick of shelling out a ton of money to watch a film in 3D vs. 2D.

heath
Old August 5th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #28
MPS Digital Studios

3D's demise is great exaggerated:

Rumors of 3D demise greatly exaggerated : Capria.TV

Heath
Old August 5th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #29
Inner Circle

It's not going away, the competition is too worried about the competition.

MarketSaw - 3D Movies, Gaming and Technology: 3D Geek Alert: Now Companies Are Innovating! Simple New 3D Lens For Panasonic's G Series On Its Way!!

Cheers.
Old August 7th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #30
Major Player

3D is perfect for gamers. It'd be ironic if, after pouring a lot of money into building up 3D, Hollywood lost even more entertainment dollars to the game industry.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News