BBC Accepts XF300 and XF305 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Major Player

BBC Accepts XF300 and XF305

Canon announces that the BBC accepts the XF300 and 305 for HD acquisition, they had already accepted it for independants but now the BBC has come on board.

Canon Europe - Broadcaster adds Canon?s XF305 and XF300 to list of camcorders approved for both internal and external HD production
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Yeah, this speaks a lot to the overall quality level of these cameras.

These Canon camcorders now join this list of fully approved cams:

Panasonic AJ-HPX3700, 2700, 3000 & 2100
Panasonic 'Varicam' HDC27F & H
Panasonic AJ-HDX900
Sony HDW F900R & 900
Sony HDW 790, 750 & 730
Sony CineAlta F35
Arri D21 & Alexa
Panavision Genesis
Thompson Viper

This camera is really impressive to be classed with these cameras.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Space Hipster

Wow, that's incredible. My 2/3" HPX500 doesn't even make the list. I think I see a Canon in my future.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Trustee

Yes, I was in work at BBC Cymru / Wales this morning and they were organising some training courses for the 305.
I'm borrowing one on Friday myself.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
Yes, I was in work at BBC Cymru / Wales this morning and they were organising some training courses for the 305.
Luc-ckkkyyy!! (said in my Napoleon Dynamite voice)
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
I heard that the BBC had a load on order that were being delivered this week.

It is very impressive for this little cam, hopefully it may spur Sony to make the F3 record 50mbits/sec instead of 35.
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The F3 is aimed at a very different market, the AF305 is more a HD replacement for all those Z1s that the BBC has been using in recent years. I suspect Canon video have been aiming at this market rather than prioritising larger sensors.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #8
Trustee

Can you imagine all those BBC researchers and PA's faces when they see the 305? It was one thing to be told to pick up a Z1 and go out and shoot something , but this camera will take some steep learning curves...(hence the in-house training sessions)
Bless them...
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #9
Trustee

The XF300/305 are insanely easy to use. I unboxed mine, charged the battery, read up on what some of the icons meant and the next day went on a client shoot. And that's full manual mode! I will admit that I have since owning it for several months, I've learned a few tricks but anyone who's ever operated ANY camcorder can get great pictures without a lot of intensive training. Honestly its so easy it's allowed me to spend more time learning lighting which I have been told will be a lifelong journey!

On one shoot i did recently for a network, I was hired to shoot with my 7D for DOF stuff. I happened to bring my XF and when the main shooter's aging Sony Z1 failed, I offered the XF. A 60-second lesson on where the main controls were and how to read the exposure meter and we were shooting the rest of the day without a hitch. And the footage he got was awesome!

People will love this camera for the simplicity and quality it brings.

Quite different from the CineAlta system I'm learning over the next few weeks!
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Major Player

Agree the learning curve with most of these smaller prosumer cams is pretty easy. With various clients I have shot with Ex1/3/Z1/5/7 Canon A1/XHa1/ Panny's etc and they are all pretty much the same just the buttons are in different places. Yes if you own it you will get a better image and be more fluid but if you have used one you will be able to use another.
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:36 AM   #11
Trustee

Actually guys, I was using some irony, coupled with slight despair, at the fact that many "quality" broadcasters these days are quite happy to use unskilled people as cameramen/women - sending out researchers etc to shoot material.
So much for our skill-base and experience...
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Sadly the BBC approved list is somewhat misleading as there are cameras on the list that can't be used and cameras not on the list that can, depending on the programme type.

BBC use EX1's and EX3's with NanoFlashes for many internal and external productions, indeed BBC DV solutions have many of their own and it is a recommended setup for many situations. The HDC-27 is only normally permitted for Natural History or productions that require slow motion as all new commissions are required to shoot 1920x1080.

Being on the list or not on the list does certainly have some significance, but it doesn't guarantee acceptance or non acceptance.
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Major Player

I am really hoping Canon comes out with a shoulder mount version of this.. The quality of a 305 in a shoulder mount 50mbps 422 with cheap memory, a 20x lens, HD/SDI, less than 1 lux mi, 2 XLR's, and a 1.5mp VF. Just a dream :(
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #14
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Sadly the BBC approved list is somewhat misleading as there are cameras on the list that can't be used and cameras not on the list that can, depending on the programme type.

BBC use EX1's and EX3's with NanoFlashes for many internal and external productions, indeed BBC DV solutions have many of their own and it is a recommended setup for many situations. The HDC-27 is only normally permitted for Natural History or productions that require slow motion as all new commissions are required to shoot 1920x1080.

Being on the list or not on the list does certainly have some significance, but it doesn't guarantee acceptance or non acceptance.
So, what are you saying? Do you have some inside info we aren't privy to? Is the XF300/305 cleared for full acquisition?
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #15
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Parrish View Post
I am really hoping Canon comes out with a shoulder mount version of this.. The quality of a 305 in a shoulder mount 50mbps 422 with cheap memory, a 20x lens, HD/SDI, less than 1 lux mi, 2 XLR's, and a 1.5mp VF. Just a dream :(
That would be a great camera! A good follow-up to the XL-H1 line.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News