BBC Accepts XF300 and XF305 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #16
Inner Circle

You should read through the commissioning guidelines to get a better idea of what's allowed and what's not. While you will most likely be fine using a 305 for a low budget documentary or news, don't expect the BBC to accept it for everything. The bigger discrepancy is the inclusion on the list of 720P cameras while the BBC are no longer commissioning 720P productions. I know that the Natural History unit still uses a lot of Varicams because of the slo-mo but that's an exception to the general rule of everything must be 1080.
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #17
Major Player

I have also heard two interesting things from the beeb today (from a friend) and that is that they are trying to get rid of nano (or equiv) captured footage as they have had issues with it. Plus I do a great deal of underwater work and the normal 50 m/bits does not work for underwater they want 100 m/bits. So as Alister states yes it may be accepted but definitely not for everything.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
That would be a great camera! A good follow-up to the XL-H1 line.
In the meantime, I've slightly modded my dslr shoulder mount and it works great!
I believe there is someone on the forum who's making a very nice shoulder mount specific to the 300/305. Can't remember who though!
Interchangeable lens version would be cool but I haven't had the need to change as it's quite good. I would love a constant aperture though!
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Parrish View Post
I am really hoping Canon comes out with a shoulder mount version of this.. The quality of a 305 in a shoulder mount 50mbps 422 with cheap memory, a 20x lens, HD/SDI, less than 1 lux mi, 2 XLR's, and a 1.5mp VF. Just a dream :(
I hope NAB reveals something like this. You forgot interchangeable lenses :)
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw View Post
I have also heard two interesting things from the beeb today (from a friend) and that is that they are trying to get rid of nano (or equiv) captured footage as they have had issues with it.
This would basically kill the Sony XDCAM EX line (and a few others) for BBC work - any chance you can (via your friend) find out and elaborate more. Specifically, what are the issues with the Nanoflash (and equivalents)?
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #21
Trustee

I noticed Gordon Buchanan using an EX-3 with Nanoflash on "The Bear Family and Me" last week, and BBC NI were introducing it as "also on BBC HD". I must admit I was surprised. Maybe they wanted something cheaper that wouldn't matter so much if a bear mauled it. As it was, he got away with just a few chewed mic covers.

Presumably the second camera wasn't "just" an EX3.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #22
Inner Circle

The EX3 with Nanoflash has been accepted by a number of broadcasters for HD. Although, I expect it will depend on the nature of the production which type of camera you're expected to use. Also, as mentioned above, there may be certain types of material which they demand you use a better codec.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #23
Inner Circle

The Bear Family and Me is on iplayer in HD. I watched it in HD when broadcast and you wouldn't know it was shot on a small camera.

I think the NanoFlash issues have been largely user errors such as using the wrong bit rate, so then Avid doesn't recognise the files or wrong wrapper etc. Avid only really works with 50Mb/s files. Using an external recorder isn't as convenient or straight forward as internal recordings and I can understand the BBC's preference for a one piece device hence less use of the EX/NanoFlash and more use of the XF305, but that doesn't rule out the usage of the EX/Nano.
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #24
Major Player

I think with all broadcasters content is king and rules can be broken and enforced depending on needs / contract
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News