DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   New TV Logic VFM-056WP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/490682-new-tv-logic-vfm-056wp.html)

Jim Martin January 25th, 2011 02:49 PM

New TV Logic VFM-056WP

Hey everyone, TV Logic has a new 5.6" monitor that does something no one else does and its available now. It has....loop out thru the HD SDI ! So, you come in HDMI and it loops it out thru HD SDI...Its not an HDMI to HD SDI converter but what they are calling a "mirror thru"...it passes what ever comes in, out the SDI port! Now TV Logic makes really good, precision monitors and this one has all their key features....Wave Form, Vectorscope, and the HDMI input fills the entire screen from cameras such as the 5D & 7D. Here's the link:

http://www.tvlogicusa.com/product/im...ro/vfm_056.pdf

Finally, a monitor that passes the HDMI signal out to other monitors in a manageable way!

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Charles Papert January 25th, 2011 04:51 PM

Thanks Jim--pricepoint?

Also trying to understand the "mirror-thru" feature--if it goes in HDMI and it comes out HD-SDI, how is that not a conversion?

It would be good to know how long the "blank-out" period is when going into record mode on the 5D--given the 4-5 seconds of the Blackmagic as a standard.

Jim Martin January 25th, 2011 07:46 PM

$1495.95.......Tomorrrow I'll try it with the 5D & 7D and find out whats goin' on....

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Gints Klimanis January 25th, 2011 07:56 PM

The emerging trend of adding focusing and exposure aids in the monitor is most welcomed. Why are camera device manufacturers so behind in this regard?

Jim Martin January 27th, 2011 02:06 PM

OOOPPPs.......We discovered a bit of a problem with the HDMI in/SDI out process on the monitor. Without going into any detail at this time, TV Logic is working on it and will advise us asap. As soon as they get it resolved, I'll let everyone know what it was and what was done to fix it.....Sorry for the tease.

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Jim Martin January 27th, 2011 03:27 PM

Just got an email from TV Logic and ....and .....they will fix the issue with firmware ...yea! I'll have more details later....

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Matt Irwin February 3rd, 2011 10:36 AM

Jim,

Will this monitor display waveform and vector with ALL inputs or just SDI?
I'm considering ditching my LVM-071W for this monitor because it's size and battery options seem more flexible given today's crop of cameras-- and waveform on HDMI would seal the deal.

Thanks,

Jim Martin February 14th, 2011 12:13 PM

Mat-
Sorry for the delay, I just got back from Switzerland. Yes, the waveform & vector work with all inputs.

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Matt Irwin February 21st, 2011 05:15 PM

Re: New TV Logic VFM-056WP

Thanks Jim, I ended up buying one and I'm very glad I did.

One issue (which I brought to Preco's TV Logic engineer in person) is that of maximum input voltage for external power. Though the monitor states "6-12v volts" as it's range, the engineer confirmed that it's safe for up to 16v, beyond that.... at your own risk. All that is fine and good until someone like me and every other camera professional that buys this monitor (and there will be MANY) want to use the P-Tap power source on a "big" camera.... which can exceed 18volts if the battery is freshly topped.

I strongly urge someone, preferably TV Logic, to make a P-tap power regulator for this monitor that is low profile, lightweight, and bolts on the back of the monitor just like those battery mounts made by TV Logic that can be purchased separately. An inline regulator would be very sloppy, so preferably it would be a little box with a female PTap port so the user can implement a cable to the power source that's the proper length for THEM.

Of course you can make a cable, which I did, but in the day to day routine of production someone *WILL* forget to pull the p-tap or turn the monitor off before putting on a hot brick and the monitor will fry.

Just sayin....

Jim Martin February 21st, 2011 06:51 PM

good point.......I'll mention it to the TV Logic guys.....but I think you already did!

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Matt Irwin February 21st, 2011 10:42 PM

Please do! The more they hear it, the more likely it'll be made...

Cheers,

Charles Papert February 22nd, 2011 12:43 AM

Hi Matt:

There is a growing need for a box that sports either a Gold Mount or V-mount plate (preferably field-changeable) and has a series of p-tap ports with voltage regulation down to, say, 12.5v; an integrated power switch and status LED. I'm aiming to have one built, it's on my long to-do list of custom stuff. This would make for safe operation of products like this monitor (honestly--6-12v nominal? what universe are they building this stuff for) and devices we force unwittingly into the portable workflow (Blackmagic HDMI converter, shuts itself off close to 13v). Plus--don't know if this has ever happened to you--but those handy 4-way p-tap splitter boxes from Anton Bauer have a way of splitting in a whole other way: physically, from the edges, which allows the not-so-careful to insert a plug into the end two ports upside down (with unpleasant to catastropic results). The power switch would of course allow all of the onboard goodies to be powered down without having to unplug the splitter box from the p-tap port.

I'd love to circumvent all of my p-tap business and go to 3-pin Fisher or Lemos but it would obviously be an expensive proposition, plus I'd need backup p-tap versions of every cable for use with other gear.

Monitor sounds cool. Interested in hearing how many seconds it takes to recover from 5D going into record mode compared to the Blackmagic (and if other monitors down the chain suffer a longer blank-out or not).

How close to a reference image do you feel this monitor is delivering? Do you think you could trust it for run-and-gun or situations where you can't get to an engineering monitor in time?

Matt Irwin February 22nd, 2011 10:39 PM

Hey Charles--
I agree, lemo or fisher would be a much better standard, but that simply (unfortunately) doesn't happen as often as it should. I look forward to whatever you come up with regarding that box-- keep me / us posted!

As for the monitor, so far so good. Extremely sharp, very color accurate, and much more adjustable than the bigger and heavier 7" that I previously owned. Once I run bars and calibrate, it's VERY accurate and the wfm/vector scopes are bang on. Based on my new and limited experience with it, I'd trust it as a solid reference panel if no DIT station was available. Blacks are very good and in the proper environment you'd get an accurate image. I don't miss my 7" and don't really wish I had a Panasonic BT around at all-- it's light as a feather *and* a good monitor... what else is there to wish for?

I'm currently using it on a feature with Reds (power from some old panasonic batts to be safe), so no opportunity to check on the 5D switchover.

Nick Wilcox-Brown March 27th, 2011 04:42 PM

Hi Jim,

Mine arrived last week (we are slow here in Europe) and I would endorse everything you have said, a truly great monitor.

I remember reading somewhere that it can also be hardware calibrated (with my trusty EyeOne), do you know anything about this please? I have tried to find it a second time, with no success.

Many thanks,

Nick.

Steve Kalle March 29th, 2011 04:26 PM

You do realize that this monitor can only output 1280x720 59.94i/p via HD-SDI. That eliminates the possibility of using other higher-res, high-end monitors.