new camera: Panasonic AG-HPX250 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 24th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: new camera: Panasonic AG-HPX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
What I like about P2 and all the panasonic camera's is that they produce superb images and they look much more film like than the sony camera's which to me now have a very red colour cast and are more video like, that includes the high end sony cameras too and the panasonic codecs look nicer too and stand up to re-compression far better than the long gop ones.
I agree, and that desirable rich film look goes back to the tape based Pana GS400 which first appeared in July 2004. IMO it *beats* the Canon look too, regardless of the Custom Preset used.

I've still got 2 fully working GS400s squirreled away .. to play their tapes from the archives.

Cheers.
Old April 25th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #47
Trustee

Hi Dom the lowest HD shooting on the HPX371 is AVC Intra 50 at 720p you can also shoot AVC Intra 50 at 1080i 25np which gives you 1440x1080 pixel images. 720p will also allow you to over and undercrank the camera too.

I tend to shoot AVC Intra 1080i 25np most of the time unless I need to do varicam or need a lot of storage space when I drop it down to AVC 50.

I have four 32gb cards but find that two are enough for most projects and my low cost way of offloading to hard drive is by using a powerbook G4 mac which has a PCMIA card slot, I can then leave a card copying whilst still shooting but most of the time I clone the cards and verify them direct from the camera to a USB hard drive or go direct into my edit system.

You could also use a PC with a PCMIA card slot to copy the cards as they just appear a hard drives on your desktop and can be copied easily or get the new card reader that is less than £500 if you already have a laptop.
Old April 27th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #48
Major Player

Thanks for the info Gary.

Looking forwards to Dan Brockett getting hold of this cam to review later in the year. It seems destined to Join Canon's XF300 with the Beeb's seal of approval, and more importantly, will produce outstanding images. Also, as Dan pointed out elsewhere Panasonic have covered all price points by making 2 ACVHD versions. Can't complain with that.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #49
Major Player

i'm also very interested in this camera.

i had the original hvx200 and never loved the camera. i found focusing to be a chore and forced me to use an external monitor in the field which really slowed me down.

over the years, i have been more open to p2. with that in mind, i would again look at p2 if i went with the hpx250.

my only wish is for the camera to be in the stores by summer 2011 rather than autumn 2011.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #50
Major Player

The HPX250 is now listed on B&H at $6495, just $4 less than the Canon XF300. I'm hoping for a comparative review when the HPX250 is released. This looks like it will be a fun horse race!

Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #51
Inner Circle

It will be a horse race. Great codecs, same chip size and resolution. Too bad neither of them offer 8-pin rear zoom control. I just can't have a LANC style remote after using the broadcast style 8-pin controllers. This is a nice feature of the EX-1, the other horse in the race.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
the EX-1, the other horse in the race.
It's interesting though... EX1 was the first in this race and has been wining for quite some time now. Surely they must be having a replacement for the EX1 in the works by now? Panasonic came very late to the game - even later than Canon... Sony EX1 was/is a really nice cam. I wonder if this move from Panasonic was maybe a little premature - because if Sony releases something new in the next 1 year it will surely beat the crap out of it's competition...yes?
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Yes, it is very interesting. I see the EX-1 just the same as the Canon 5D MKII. Why replace a product that is still working? Like the 5DMKII the EX-1 has plenty of resolution and chip size and the competition has not surpassed it in the marketplace. The only problem is the next logical step for the EX-1 is the 50mbps 4:2:2 codec which would throw Sony's line out of shape. This is the main area where Panasonic and Canon have an edge. But lets face it, going forward skimping on the codec will be very frowned upon as memory gets cheaper and cheaper. Not to mention if Scarlet comes out soon with RAW processing.

I like Panasonic cameras. It is a shame they have abandoned 1/2" chips. If the HPX-250 had 1/2" chips it would be a no brainer to so many.
Old June 9th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
But lets face it, going forward skimping on the codec will be very frowned upon as memory gets cheaper and cheaper.
The codec/memory question isn't about saving money with memory any more. It's keeping the camera in a certain price range.

Now that memory prices continue to drop camera manufacturers should be able to use larger codes (but probably won't). 50Mb/s 4:2:2 mpeg2 is still highly compressed. It is better than 35 xdcam 4:2:0 but still give me 100 - 200 Mb/s 4:2:2 I-frame and I'll be happy.
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #55
Trustee

I wonder if they will do hybrid camera next such as an HPX600/601 that is an ENG shoulder mount camera based on the AF101 4/3 chip but with the P2 system and AVC Intra 100 as the record end.
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, it is very interesting. I see the EX-1 just the same as the Canon 5D MKII. Why replace a product that is still working? Like the 5DMKII the EX-1 has plenty of resolution and chip size and the competition has not surpassed it in the marketplace. The only problem is the next logical step for the EX-1 is the 50mbps 4:2:2 codec which would throw Sony's line out of shape. This is the main area where Panasonic and Canon have an edge. But lets face it, going forward skimping on the codec will be very frowned upon as memory gets cheaper and cheaper. Not to mention if Scarlet comes out soon with RAW processing.

I like Panasonic cameras. It is a shame they have abandoned 1/2" chips. If the HPX-250 had 1/2" chips it would be a no brainer to so many.
Couldn't have said it better myself, the real let down this year for me was from Sony and the F3, 35 4:2:0 is ridiculous. But this means I'm sure that the Ex1 upgrade will still be 35 4:2:0 not to step on the F3 toes. This looks like a great camera just like the Canon XF305 but 1/2 chips would swing so many people. I actually think that it would sway a fair amount of the Scarlet crew too.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #57
Major Player

"1/2 chips would swing so many people."

And put a large dent in Panasonic's more expensive line at the same time? Sony are faced with a similar problem with their EX upgrade.

Canon and JVC are the ones to watch IMO. They don't have higher end models to protect, though canon make a fortune supplying glass to the others.

It can't be long before Canon come up with a cam to go up against the af100 and F3, but in the meantime this new Panny range looks very nice.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #58
Inner Circle

I would have to praise Sony for its line right now and the focus on offering options to all levels of professionals. They have small and large format cameras from 1/3" all the way up to 35mm. I think this is a customer approach and in the end, does not take away sales that would not have been there to begin with.

The approach that says 1/2" chips will hurt a product line imho is out of touch by Panasonic. They have stated the HPX-300 was geared towards news stations. Well isn't that in place of orders that used to be 2/3" cameras? The fact is, people who think paying $20,000 for a body is too expensive for their budget are still going to think that way with or without a 1/2" chip option.

I have been waiting for JVC to step up and fill a void for a long time but they have released basically the same 1/3" camera for the last five years. I am not holding my breath!
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #59
Major Player

Why bother putting in 1/2" chips if you can get the same or better performance and quality from a 1/3" chip?

HVX user since forever, dabbler with DSLR's and 1/2" Sonys. Barring global financial villainy, I will be a 250 buyer this fall.
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #60
Inner Circle

Kevin, you have a good point. I would say that the performance of the 1/3" chips is very good, but a similar 1/2" chip would be better. This includes less noise reduction due to the chips being so amped up (HPX-370) or better light gathering ability (XF-300). Also the diffraction point allows more of the aperature range to be used succesfully with larger imagers.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News