Sound Devices introduces video recorders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sound Devices introduces video recorders

As a long time user of Sound Devices pres/mixers I'm thrilled to see SD entering the video recorder market.

PIX Recorders | Sound Devices, LLC

Pix 220 list is $1749
Pix 240 list is $2895

They're both already listed on several vendors sites for $1500 and $2595.

The PIX 240 offers both HD-SDI and HDMI input and simultaneous HD-SDI and HDMI outputs.
Key Features

Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD* codec at multiple data rates
Quicktime file type
10-bit input video resolution
Ultra low-noise (-128 dBu) mic preamps with phantom, limiters, line input (based on 7-Series recorders)
CompactFlash or removable 2.5-inch solid-state hard drives file storage with media spanning, UDF format for Mac OS and Windows compatibility
High-accuracy built-in time code generator, with genlock and word clock output (PIX 240 only)
5-inch, matte finish, 800x480 pixel display
Large, illuminated, tactile buttons for fast and simple menu control
Simultaneous HDMI and HD-SDI output (PIX 240 only)
Up/Down/Cross Conversion of 480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
336-core, 32-bit massively parallel processor with 1.2 TeraOps for efficient video encoding
10-18 VDC and dual L-series battery powering
Metalized, molded carbon fiber chassis
*Avid DNxHD codec is available as an optional accessory

Time Code and Genlock

Additionally, the PIX 240 has a tunable, high-accuracy time code generator/reader by Ambient complete with Genlock (or word clock) output. The time code source can be derived from an HD-SDI stream, from an external jammed source, or from the built-in generator.

AES3 Digital Audio

In addition to its high-performance analog audio inputs, the PIX 240 accepts AES3 digital audio. Sound Devices field mixers and recorders, including the MixPre-D, 552, and 7-Series recorders, output AES digital audio. Up to four digital audio inputs on two XLR connectors are accepted.

PIX 240 includes an external eSATAp connector for direct, powered connection to large SATA storage volumes.
PIX 240 Input Flexibility

HDMI input accepts(480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p), v1.3
HD-SDI input accepts (480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p)
Video Scalers

Both the PIX 220 and PIX 240 offer powerful, hardware-based video scalers. Realtime conversion among video formats, including 1080i, 1080p, and 720p, are set with a simple menu selection. Conversion between interlaced and progressive, as well as frame rate conversion is available in realtime. For instance, some cameras set to record 24ps send 1080i 60 over HDMI or HD-SDI. PIX recorders can be set to convert the 1080i 60 stream back to 24p with no loss in quality.

Up/Down/Cross Conversion of 480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
3:2 Pull Down Removal to Record 24p from 60i Signal
File Formats

Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy/LT/422/422HQ)
Avid DNxHD 36, 145, 220 Mb/s, 8- and 10-bit, available as an option
.mov Quicktime File Wrapper
All audio contained within the single .mov file
Data Storage
PIX 220 and PIX 240 record and play back Quicktime files to either removable CompactFlash cards or removable 2.5-inch SSD (solid-state drive). Both CompactFlash and SSD media are formatted by PIX recorders as UDF volumes. UDF-formatted media are not limited to 4 GB file sizes like FAT32-formatted media. Additionally, UDF volumes are cross-platform, being directly mountable, readable, and writable in Mac OS and Windows.
The flexibile PIX-CADDY accessory provides triple-interface connectivity for SSDs: FireWire 800, eSATAp, and USB 3.0 (USB 2.0 backward-compatible). eSATAp offers drive powering and 3 Gb/s transfer rate over a single cable.
Display

The PIX 220 and PIX 240 include a generous 5-inch, matte finish, 800x480 pixel LCD display (pre-production 4.3-inch screen shown in images on page). The display is essential in the field and provides immediate confirmation of recording, playback, audio metering, and Setup Menu selections.
Mechanical Construction

PIX recorders are built for field use with their durable, light weight, metalized, molded carbon fiber chassis. Its advanced thermal design keeps the unit cool in extreme environments like the nasty, blowing, sandy desert environment of Las Vegas.

Powering

PIX recorders are powered by either external DC power or two removable Sony L-type batteries. External power uses a Hirose 4-pin connection and accepts voltages from 10-18 VDC. Numerous PIX cabling options are available to power the unit from external DC. The back-side of the recorder accepts one or two Sony L-type batteries. The PIX recorder operates as its own battery charger when the unit is powered off and plugged into AC with the supplied adapter.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sound Devices introduces video recorders

I checked this out today and was impressed. Very nice unit. I could see one of these working well with my EX1.
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News