New Kindle. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 30th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

New Kindle.

Much to the disgust of the marketing types, I don't subscribe to buying the first generation of any new stuff and here's a classic case. The Kindle.

What is it? You haven't seen one yet? Well it just might put my favourite blonde librarian out on the street.

Anyone using one? How do you like it?

Cheers.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Kindle.

Hi Allan,

Like you I am very conservative as far as buying the next best thing; often waiting 'til I've had plenty of time to research and have a million reviews on the product. But like a geek who wants the newest toys, I want the new Kindle Fire!

I was gifted an Ipod Touch last year, and I thought I wanted an Ipad, but now I'm looking into these e-readers that have wi-fi capabilities, apps, games, (which is what I use the Ipod Touch for), and a slightly bigger screen.

But saying all that, I'm still reluctant to give up on old tech called books printed on paper :)

Best,
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Had a friend that got a (older version, so last year...) Kindle... I found the grey on grey letters very difficult to see - contrast was just not good enough. I doubt it's had much use... I know I was singularly unimpressed, wouldn't ever own one of those "e-readers" - but they are of course releasing things with full color LCD screens...

That said, there's a Kindle reader for pretty much any platform, and my kids use it for all the free books - cheap "library", on the PC or cheap import Chinese Android tablet.

I've been intrigued by the tablet format, particularly since it represents such a sudden market shift-er. Bottom line for me, the tablet/pad with touch interface is VERY natural for many things if it has a good screen (and they seem to vary a lot). Web surfing, ebook reading, basic email, short notes, and those silly simple things like calculator, and of course GAMES (OK, other than Angry Birds, nothing has been overly interesting!).

The tablet is a good "consumer" device, and it wouldn't surprise me to see it eliminate the computer for an awful lot of people - it does the simple basic things that the average user uses the web for, and generally most of the tablets do it "adequately"... some better than others, and some with substantial limitations (Flash support is really spotty on the Android tablets... at least the cheap ones).

Here's the rub - if you're going to be "creating" rather than consuming, these are VERY limiting - typing anything other than a note is cumbersome, any "editing" of graphics/photos/videos is "interesting" both due to computing horsepower/memory limitations and interface challenges.

For what a tablet CAN provide - a small (bigger than a "smart" phone, smaller than a netbook computer), portable, web enabled device that allows you to take a basic "computer" everywhere you go, it's a nifty piece of tech. Just accept that the limitations may or may not quickly shift you BACK into a computer - I personally am finding some nice small computers being sold quite cheap ("just got me an eyepad, and don't have no use fer this no more"), and they are nearly as portable as a tablet, plus some are powerful enough to run quite a few "creative" applications (NLEs not so much, if you expect to do HD editing... but I'm experimenting!).

Steve Jobs humble opinion aside, I found the 7" screen to be pretty useful, and more portable than the 10" one I tried (admittedly that particular 10" had a less than stellar screen). Some of the small screens are very sharp, but you're still talking about a SMALL screen, which may or may not work for you (having just hit the "bi-focal" age, I find this to be far more problematic!!).

The Kindle Fire just announced will no doubt sell faster than sliced bread... I'm interested, but not that much since the Cheap Chinese one I picked up to experiment with shifts on and off my "sell" list - less than $100 slightly used, and it does get use, just not as much as I feel it should - really haven't found too many "killer" (other than time killer Angry Birds) apps that are a "must have" or that I can't replicate and do better on a 12" screen PC... almost everything I or my kids expect to be able to do runs better on a small Netbook... IF it doesn't require a monster edit/render box!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Major Player

For $199 I preordered one the day it became available. Next gens might have cameras, 3 or 4g, etc but they will cost more. My library just started making books available to "check out" for kindle's through Amazon plus I was about to join Amazon prime anyway which will get me thousands of movies & tv shows. Add in a web browser for when I am traveling or eating in restaurants with wifi and I don't think I can go wrong.

I am saving my big bucks for a newer version of the ipad that will have 4g capability.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
But saying all that, I'm still reluctant to give up on old tech called books printed on paper :)
The endurance of the book will be ensured by the impermanance of its many would be successors.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2011, 03:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

True Bill and Jeff, but my 4month old grandson will one day look at my bookcase with awe and wonder.

For our generation changing to Kindles etc. is another link in the analogue to digital chain and I think a whole new way of reading books will eventually develop, just like Facebook and Twitter came with portable laptops and I phones.

Guys, just imagine your book reading group all sitting around with the lights out, their Kindles providing the only light in the room. That gorgeous Darlene will look even prettier not withstanding her ridiculous comments on Steven King.

Still bring your own cushion.

Cheers.
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
True Bill and Jeff, but my 4month old grandson will one day look at my bookcase with awe and wonder.
For your personal bookcase to elicit your grandsons awe and wonder, Libraries would have to be greatly diminished as well.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Major Player

I've heard nothing but praise for the Kindle from both a couple of friends who have got them, and especially from my dad, who's a big reader and had serious doubts about pleasure reading on a digital device.

But it's precisely the low-contrast, simplistic nature of the kindle that makes it so good. It really is just like book that scrolls instead of having it's pages turned.

I think my dad put it really well (and it's a comment that rings true for digital imaging as well) - he said that in the end, it's the words that count. The means by which you read them doesn't really matter (so long as those means work).
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News