DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   RIP Steve Jobs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/501321-rip-steve-jobs.html)

David Knaggs August 28th, 2012 09:04 PM

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

There's a great series of free video podcasts on iTunes by AllThingsD (these are the conferences presented by Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher) called "Steve Jobs at the D". You can easily find them with an iTunes search.

I watched these a couple of months ago and they cover six appearances from 2003-2010. I was fascinated (particularly in the earlier ones) by how he had a clear vision, but there were a million and one obstacles that had to be handled to bring these various things into existence. For example, in the 2003 podcast (I think) where he was talking about setting up iTunes and mentioned that a major barrier was the record companies' reluctance to buy into the whole thing because of piracy fears. So he told them that he believed that, sure there were people who just love to rip things off, but 80% of people would prefer to do the right thing - if you made it easy for them to do so. Hence iTunes became freely available on both platforms (PC and Mac) and the songs were available for under a dollar. Thus he got them to shift their attention from trying to stop the unstoppable (dedicated pirates) and onto servicing the mass market (the 80% who would prefer to do the right thing).

His greatest point of difference, I think, was that he concentrated solely on the "user experience". Unlike the other dominant IT companies who designed things for corporations or the IT departments, he just wanted to make a great user experience for the individual.

I was reading last week that Apple (in stock market value) is now the "largest" company in the world. One thing's for sure. It was no fluke.

Chris Soucy August 28th, 2012 11:22 PM

Sorry, Allan...........

But if it was 1969, it sure as heck wasn't Gordon Brown (thank God, he was a total loss between 2007 - 2010, I shudder to think what he would have been like in 1969).

It was Harold Wilson (1964 - 1970) as Prime Minister.

CS

Steve Game August 29th, 2012 12:59 AM

Actually, it was Gordon Brown, but on 10 September 2009.
Brown apologised on behalf of the 1954 Conservative Government's action committing Alan Turing to chemical castration for being gay. Unfortunately, some senior politician's attitudes don't seem to have changed that much since.

Allan Black August 29th, 2012 02:47 AM

Yes Steve, it was Gordon Brown who said that.

David, yep Steve Jobs saw the whole picture and that's the mark of a genius. And he totally believed it, without reservation, right to his untimely end.

I wish I'd bought more Apple shares and not Facebook.

Cheers.

Colin McDonald August 29th, 2012 07:47 AM

I've counted 3 taboo topics which have being referenced in this thread so far. Is this a new form of Russian Roulette we are playing? (Oops, this might be a fourth one).
:-)

Chris Hurd August 29th, 2012 08:02 AM

Yes, it is... thanks, all.