Scarlet At $10K - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Closed Thread

Old November 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: Scarlet At $10K

I don't think soccer moms ever entered the equation other than as a good one liner. Much of the demand for 2/3" Scarlet seems to be as a 16mm film replacement, for those more personal pieces where the control of RAW can work, The live studio and ENG is well covered and doesn't really need or have the time for that level of post involvement.

What has been shown on the REDUser threads on the Scarlet is that not everyone wants a shallow DOF effect. This works with some stories, but not others, plus the increased risk of out of focus shots when filming fast moving subjects.

The fixed zoom Scarlet did offer a lot to those documentaries that in recent years have been shot on 1/3" cameras, often because the budgets didn't allow the use of more expensive cameras. I gather there was problems maintaining the focus as it zoomed, so there appears to be some more development required. Although, RED seemed to always be upbeat about this lens until after the new Scarlet was announced.
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #77
Major Player

Personally I would welcome the 2/3" Scarlet with fixed lens. Frankly, I was waiting exactly for this, but at certain point it became obvious, that it is not going to happen. Which is a pity. As much as RED ONE was a disruptive technology, I fail to see current Scarlet as such. It is of course natural to try to increase one's yield by utilising chips that fall outside of spec, CPU companies do it all the time. But it's hardly a breakthrough in any way. A good analogy would be Intel i7 = EPIC, and i3 = Scarlet.

I think comparing 2/3" to new Canon or Epic is like comparing apples and oranges. I won't take C300 for a three weeks trip to Siberia, I won't take it to do ENG work or documentary about sport or martial arts events. Shallow DOF is not something you always want, and like other people said - there is a market for good, inexpensive 2/3" replacement of Super 16mm. To have a 2/3" sensor at 120 fps with HDR would be amazing, even if it only recorded 2K, and didn't have superb low-light peformance of 4/3".

There was a possibility to fill in that gap, but it looks like it's not going to happen, with RED being flooded with orders for their cameras. Perhaps other companies will step up, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old November 14th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #78
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Please continue the discussion at RED's official forum:

Reduser.net :: The online Community for digital filmmaking

Much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News