DaVinci Resolve Lite now Includes Unlimited Color Correction Nodes! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 21st, 2011, 12:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: DaVinci Resolve Lite now Includes Unlimited Color Correction Nodes!

Henry

Good post with points well made, and of course it's extremely annoying for people who've just spent shed loads of money on the software. However surely we're seeing the beginning of the end of super expensive grading software? Apple got the ball rolling with Color a few years ago, and with the death of FCP legacy and the dumping of Color, Resolve have cleverly stepped in with a program that will blow the old Apple app away, at exactly the right moment.

Many of will remember when an Avid suite cost 100k to put together, but Apple - and later Adobe - changed all that, and it looks like the world of colour grading is going the same way.

So while i agree it's annoying for people who just invested at the old price point - just as there will have been a fair few Final Touch investors kicking themselves when Color shipped as part of FCP6 - for the rest of us it's great news.

Also, since BMD are going to make a lot of money out of this, it seems likely some of that will go into R+D to keep Resolve ahead of the competition. Their "high end" competitors are going to struggle to keep up, just as Avid had to drastically drop prices to stay in the game.

If BMD's products are "disruptive", then the more the merrier i say.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:08 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post

Many of will remember when an Avid suite cost 100k to put together, but Apple - and later Adobe - changed all that, and it looks like the world of colour grading is going the same way.

And w/ NLE's now costing about a grand, are productions now being cut in kids' rooms in Thousand Oaks, CA? No.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:03 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hahaha good one peter, Nice visuals got the kids jumping on the bed w/ avid on in the background, haha
Matt Sturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:56 AM   #19
Major Player

Peter moretti

Plenty of edit suites have gone bust here in the UK, including a friend of mine in Soho who used to rent an extortionately priced building with assistants all over the place making coffee for the clients who were paying a small fortune for their services. Now they can't get away with it and have shut shop, as skilled freelancers - sometimes former employees - are taking on the work at a fraction of the price and doing very nicely out of it.

A lot of work is already being farmed out to India, with HD's being DHL'd across to Bombay and Bangalore with the project files being emailed back and forth. The bottom has seriously fallen out of the business, and many people i know have either been laid off, or taken 20% plus pay cuts. Yes it's partly to do with the recession, but there are many other factors, the most obvious being that anyone can start up business. And before you say it's the talent that counts, many of these people are the talents, but they don't have the overheads their former employers had and can work on the cheap. The world of colour grading is heading the same way. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I guess with Lightworks becoming available on an extremely low annual subscription for the codecs, the most expensive thing could now be the computer and the hard drives.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #21
Trustee

Dom,

You do make some very good points. Esp. here in LA, the major work is still being done at professional post houses b/c of the quality, ease of communication and quick turnaround. But the industry is changing and no one is immune to it. Thank you for your post.
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #22
Major Player

Does anybody have any idea when is this is going to be available for PC? I've read on numerous sites that it's coming - but haven't seen a date yet...
Sanjin Svajger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Does anyone know if this new version will be compatible with FCPX? I have X, and recently downloaded Rsolve Lite, because I heard someone else saying that you could round trip FCPX project in D-Lite. I would love to be able to do that...
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #24
Major Player

Sanjin - Black Magic promised us Windows version at the beginning of 2012.
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
Sanjin - Black Magic promised us Windows version at the beginning of 2012.
Oh, okey. Thanks:) Can't wait!
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #26
Trustee

Does anyone know if there are any opencl driver updates for 10.6.8 / ATI Radeon X1600 based MacBook Pro?

Resolve lite starts, but complains... I'm currently under the impression that my machine is just too old (which would be too bad as I just bought it used as a HUGE upgrade from my old laptop)
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #27
Major Player

BETA for Windows is already here available for download!

Blackmagic Design: Support Detail
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #28
Major Player

Whoopee - all those great things it will do - and yes seen it working first hand.

BUT - as good as this free issue is - it'll never be the death of anything while it can't handle .mp4's.

I run a PMW EX3 and I am extremely busy - I simply don't have time to convert all the files coming out of my camera to then be able to use Davinci.

There is a large group of people using .mp4 as a file to capture, transport and edit with - who would love Davinci if it worked with .mp4's.

Someone here is going to tell me how easy and quick it is to convert the files to something Davinci can handle - without doubling my import time...?
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #29
Major Player

Dave, it's been my wish as well. I don't know how big of a problem it is to handle XDCAM EX in mp4 wrapper, but it would be great timesaver if it did. On the other hand, it's an awesome free application, so I try not to complain too much :)
Old March 27th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #30
Major Player

It sure is awesome - for those who can use it out of the box. For EX users... well, we'd probably love to use it too..
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News