DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Canon 2012 NAB teaser (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/506000-canon-2012-nab-teaser.html)

Emmanuel Plakiotis March 10th, 2012 01:29 AM

Canon 2012 NAB teaser

Canon teases 'exclusive screening' in Las Vegas, new Cinema EOS products coming at NAB? -- Engadget

Sanjin Svajger March 10th, 2012 04:51 AM

Re: Canon 2012 NAB teaser

Interesting...

They need:

1. A model to compete with AF100 and FS100
2. A 2k - 4k camera

I suspect the 2. option will be presented as they have already said that they'll deliver it. Besides they don't even have to change the sensor for doing that. Also a C300 with a better codec. Seeing as the only reason the C300 has such a "weak" codec is because they didn't have time to implement better processing hardware, maybe they implemented it now. But I don't see how they could do this at this time without totally pissing of everybody who ordered the C300 now. So I doubt very much that this will happen.

David Heath March 10th, 2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger (Post 1720103)
Also a C300 with a better codec. Seeing as the only reason the C300 has such a "weak" codec is because ...........

I think it's wrong to describe the C300 codec as "weak" - it's seems to be becoming the primary acquisition codec for broadcasters for HD. Surely that doesn't classify as "weak"?

Yes, move into the Alexa class and there is better, which allows more post work, but it really needs RAW etc which is not the same as just a different recording codec. The other advantage of 50Mbs is that it's a common standard, it's widely used and accepted.
Quote:

But I don't see how they could do this at this time without totally pissing of everybody who ordered the C300 now.
Yes, and with lots of orders in the pipeline. That argues that any new product is likely to be radically different to the C300 (and likely very different in price!) and I tend to go along with your previous thinking. Or maybe it won't be a new camera body at all - maybe accessories to bolster the C300?

Because of the sensor specs I personally have been convinced from the start that a 4k model is a question of when rather than if. If it is the subject of the NAB launch, then I'm very surprised we are seeing it so soon.

Just when we were getting over the speculation leading up to the C300 November launch - you have to hand it to Canon......... :-)

Emmanuel Plakiotis March 10th, 2012 05:54 AM

C300's weakness wasn't the codec but the lack of 10bit out and 1080 50/60p. I guess both will be addressed with the new camera.

Mike Marriage March 10th, 2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Heath (Post 1720105)
I think it's wrong to describe the C300 codec as "weak" - it's seems to be becoming the primary acquisition codec for broadcasters for HD. Surely that doesn't classify as "weak"?

David, although I agree, 50Mbps MPEG2 is a great codec, the sensor is capable of a lot more. The C300 has no way to go beyond 1920x1080 8 bit 4:2:2. It would be nice to have a higher end option for jobs that can afford it. Recorders like the Atmos Ninja show how cheap it can be to implement such an option.

Sanjin Svajger March 10th, 2012 07:44 AM

"Weak". By that I meant a codec or a system that doesn't utilize the sensor potential. Yes, no built in codec does that and compared to other companies and theirs inbuilt codecs the Canons codec is great.

Totally forgot about the 10bit argument. 10bit should be the next upgrade. But if this is going to happen at NAB it's gonna happen really soon. And that's why I doubt it's going to happen. I doubt that the C300 is going to see any upgrades. As David said, it's to early. People haven't even got the C300 they ordered yet. Canon could offer an payable upgrade to the C300 though...

But I think that a lower end model or a 4k model is more likely to come.

Chris Hurd March 10th, 2012 05:38 PM

My guess -- and it's only guess -- is that it might be this:

New Canon Digital SLR Camera Under Development at DVInfo.net

David Heath March 10th, 2012 06:31 PM

I don't know........ The link at the head of this thread says:
Quote:

With both its 1D and 5D-series models already confirmed for 2012, today's Canon teaser hints at something slightly different -- and, according to our sources, a major announcement. The event is set for April 15th -- during the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) show in Las Vegas -- further confirming that whatever imaging device we'll see will likely be geared towards the motion picture and television communities. So, what could it be?
Being announced at NAB, "a major announcement", and "likely be geared towards the motion picture and television communities" don't really seem to point towards more details of a DSLR that's already been announced in principle? We'll see, you may be right.

Sanjin, there is no denying that the sensor isn't being utilised to it's full potential. But that is not to say the existing codec is "weak". I don't see any upgrade (certainly not this soon) being as incremental as just a bit less compressed 1080p codec, or even 10 bit HD-SDI. I also doubt the likelihood of a "payable upgrade to the C300" - I suspect there is too much hardware involved to make that feasible.

What would be feasible (theoretically) is RAW recording of the full 4k sensor readout. (And have there not already been details for the patent of a Canon RAW codec?) But that's really a completely new camera, if of the same family, not just a codec upgrade. It would be different enough to not annoy existing C300 owners.

Mike Marriage March 10th, 2012 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really don't get what they are thinking with that 4K DSLR, totally the wrong form factor, a little like doing this:

Ramji Meena March 10th, 2012 06:51 PM

It can be a broadcast auto focus servo zoom lens for C300 sensor size. Remember canon is a major player in broadcast 2/3 lens.My guess is they are coming with a set of auto focus zoom lenses.

David Heath March 10th, 2012 07:02 PM

Mike - great photo! Makes the point that's in my mind perfectly!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramji Meena (Post 1720186)
My guess is they are coming with a set of auto focus zoom lenses.

Interesting idea, but I think that would go down as a bit of a damp squib after being promoted as "a major announcement at NAB". Likewise the market that the C300 is aimed at far less likely to want auto-focus lenses than maybe users of lower end cameras.

Robert Sanders March 10th, 2012 07:04 PM

They could be announcing additional lenses to complement their cinema line.

Personally, I think all Canon needs to do is take their L series primes and rehouse theme like Zeiss has done with their CP.2s and then you've really got something!!!

Thomas Wong March 11th, 2012 02:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Canon announced XF300 and then the next year Canon XF100
I think Canon will be announcing C100, a little brother of C300. And it will looks like 1D form... it appear on the C300 poster with a smaller 1D style Cinema EOS behind C300

I don't think Canon will announce just some lenses to make an event like that.

Josh Dahlberg March 11th, 2012 05:13 AM

Thomas I had exactly the same reaction when I heard this announcement. You're right, Canon has a history of introducing their top tier model followed by its little brother.

For me, the tricky aspect of this theory arrives when contemplating what features Canon could potentially drop from the C300 to create a C100. The NDs would surely go, along with a number of custom buttons, and the already ad-hoc audio/lcd configuration. I would be delighted if that's the lot!

In the case of the XF300 > XF100, the lens range and chip contingent were both shrunk (from 18x to 10x and 3CMOS to 1CMOS respectively).

The XL-H1 and its sibling, the XH-A1, were also announced in consecutive years. In this case, Canon dropped the interchangeable lens configuration and shoulder mount form factor.

If, as with the XL-H1, the C300 gets a sibling with reduced form factor - but identical chip & codec at half the price - count me in. Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but the 5DIII has left many feeling underwhelmed and there is a massive gap between it and the C300 that Sony and Panny have all to themselves.

Andy Wilkinson March 11th, 2012 05:32 AM

Same thoughts here.

I suspect we might also loose the electronic viewfinder for the C100 (or whatever it will be called) - but that might be reading too much into that picture. Also, they might omit the excellent XF 50Mbps broadcast codec - I really hope I'm wrong!

I'm another one in that "no mans land", i.e. between:

(1) a new Canon 5DMkIII (can easily afford but will it be right for me as a worthy upgrade to my Canon 7D?)
(2) and a new Canon C300 (can only afford at a big stretch). I'm not sure my (current) clients have deep enough pockets for me to pay for it within 12 months.

My Sony EX3 is 3.5 years old and still my main tool for corporate work - it's more than earned its keep/still going strong but I'm wondering how to plan the next phase for my business. Although the price is right, some aspects of the Sony FS100 and Panasonic AF100 don't please me so I'll be watching this next Canon announcement very closely!