nanoFlash - Dramatic Price Reduction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Inner Circle

nanoFlash - Dramatic Price Reduction

Dear Friends,

We are lowering the price of the nanoFlash by $1,000 effective April 2, 2012.

This is not an April Fools Joke.

Here is our press release:

(April 2, 2012, Colorado Springs) Today Convergent Design announced a dramatic price reduction for the award winning nanoFlash video recorder. The price of nanoFlashes has been reduced to $1,995 MSRP, $1,895 Street Price. These prices reflect a $1,000 reduction (US). Similar price reductions are in effect around the world, but due to customs, taxes and shipping the amounts may vary slightly.

The nanoFlash is an extremely popular video recorder; over 5,000 are currently in use.

The nanoFlash has been used for high-end commercials, nature documentaries, sports, network television, Hollywood features by major studios and more. It has been approved, for 100% content, by many prestigious networks, including those which pride themselves in delivering the highest quality images.

The nanoFlash shines in comparison to other video recorders in that it is very small in size, very light weight, easily camera mountable, and draws the least power, only 5.8 watts maximum.

But the most important point is that the nanoFlash is very versatile. It can record at 280 Mbps, higher than any similar recorder, and in HD, down to 18 Mbps.

At 50 Mbps Long-GOP, it offers broadcast acquisition quality with small file sizes, and the files are easily archived on the Sony Professional Disks.

And our 100 Mbps Long-GOP offers a significant step up in quality while still creating files that are smaller than other recorders most used options. In Standard Definition, the nanoFlash offers IMX 30, 40 and 50, and 5 to 9 Mbps.

Furthermore, the nanoFlash is equally at home recording in Long-GOP or I-Frame Only. The very efficient and high quality Long-GOP modes are not available in competing recorders. The nanoFlash can easily record, uninterrupted, in broadcast acquisition quality for 10 hours and 40 minutes. And with Hot Swapping the record times are essentially unlimited.

The nanoFlash produces files that are exceptionally low in noise which helps explain why it has been so successful.

Another important feature is the ability to create pre-rendered DVD or Blu-ray files for rapid same-day edits.

The nanoFlash supports over and under-cranking, 3-2 Pulldown Removal, 2-2 Pulldown Removal, True 720p60 and True 1080p30 frame rates, Loop Recording, LTC Timecode Input, and Time-Lapse recording.

With the new low street price of $1,895, the many owners that love the nanoFlash can now easily consider adding additional units to their kit.

After NAB, the nanoFlash will be enhanced with a new firmware release. This will include the ability to extract timecode from HDMI, and to detect the HD-SDI Record Flag. Other improvements and new features are expected also.

For additional information, please visit our website, Convergent Design | Professional Video Recorders | Gemini 444, nanoFlash, nano3D or contact:
Dan Keaton ++803-278-0941, ++719-930-1376 Cell cdsales@convergent-design.com
Amber Cowles ++720-221-3861
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: nanoFlash - Dramatic Price Reduction

Nice if it could be used as a player, original quality, for material edited in FCP-X,

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Ron,

The nanoFlash can be used as a player for footage edited in Final Cut Pro 7.

We have special tools to transfer edited Final Cut Pro 7 files to the nanoFlash for pplayback.

At this point in time, I do not know if our tools with with files created by Final Cut Pro X will work or not.

For sophisticated editing systems, ones with HD-SDI or HDMI outputs, one can play the rendered file in any editor, and then record the file on the nanoFlash for later playback.

And the nanoFlash has sophisticated playback tools, such as being able to cue-up the file to a specific timecode value.

Additional features allow the play/pause, and re-cue back to the begining via our remote controls.

One user, a major museum has 5 nanoFlashes that are controlled, for simultaneously, synced playback, via a custom, but simple wired remote control that controls all of their nanoFlashes.

This gives the user a 5 screen presentation that is in sync.
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Major Player

this is wonderful news Dan!

I have been wanting to get a nanoflash for a long time now
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Dear Tom,

I greatly appreciate your feedback.

This was a difficult decision to make.

We get lots of feedback from owners of nanoFlashes. Many just love the nanoFlash.

Of course, we agree.

We feel that is is so nice to be able to record in 50 Mbps Long-GOP using the very low noise Sony XDCam 4:2:2 codec. This is just perfect for many broadcast projects. And being able to archive (and playback) on the Sony Professional Disk is just great.

Then others take advantage of our 100 Mbp Long-GOP options.

And, of course one can choose up to 280 Mbps I-Frame Only as some have for making movies including Major Hollywood Studios.

So, we decided to make the nanoFlash far more afforable, hoping that those that would otherwise have choosen one of the lower cost competing recorders will now choose the nanoFlash for its versatility and low noise images.
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Tom,

I greatly appreciate your feedback.

This was a difficult decision to make.

We get lots of feedback from owners of nanoFlashes. Many just love the nanoFlash.

Of course, we agree.

We feel that is is so nice to be able to record in 50 Mbps Long-GOP using the very low noise Sony XDCam 4:2:2 codec. This is just perfect for many broadcast projects. And being able to archive (and playback) on the Sony Professional Disk is just great.

Then others take advantage of our 100 Mbp Long-GOP options.

And, of course one can choose up to 280 Mbps I-Frame Only as some have for making movies including Major Hollywood Studios.

So, we decided to make the nanoFlash far more afforable, hoping that those that would otherwise have choosen one of the lower cost competing recorders will now choose the nanoFlash for its versatility and low noise images.
i think you hit the nail on the head Dan!
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm interested and also interested in what exchange rate is used for Euro and GBP pricing. We (UK) often get screwed on exchange rates, e.g. we are the most expensive place in the EU for Apple gear, which mainly Chinese content of course though priced in USD before conversion to GBP.

A second nanoFlash is a very attractive proposition, as I've recently acquired a Canon XH-G1 as a (b) cam to go with my XLH1. Nice not to have to dismount/remount, re-attach cables and re-set the nano every time I switch from one cam to the other.

Cash is an issue, as it is with most of us I suppose. I'm also waiting on the (rumoured) new Mac Book Pros, so a second nanoFlash will have to remain in the queue for a while, unless I win, (a fairly modest win will do) a lottery or suchlike,

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Wow. I'm impressed with how the off board recorder manufacturers just keep on making things interesting. As a consumer I think we've been benefiting & today even more with this price drop.

I haven't made any investment yet, but I am interested & the nanoFlash is now just that more appealing (and it was very appealing from day one).
Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear Zach,

It was nice speaking with you this afternoon.

Thank you for the kind words about the nanoFlash.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Major Player

A fantastic price for a fantastic product.

I enjoy mine and have found it very useful!
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:31 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dear Michael,

Thank you for the endorsement!
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:53 AM   #12
Major Player

feel this had to come as you said to compete with the lower priced competitors. Welcome move and so I'm not being negative or controversial.

One thing I'd have to look at is the compact flash versus ssd or hard drive recording media which is a differentiator. SSD's are pretty cheap (and big) compared to pro grade CF. Also how future proof the nanoflash is for when we all buy S35 digital cine cameras.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:47 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear Damian,

For the nanoFlash, CompactFlash cards work great.

Our nanoFlash can record up to 280 Mbps, while the competitors max out at 220 Mbps.

Also note that when one selects a bit-rate, that is the bit-rate that the nanoFlash uses for recording, regardless of the frame rate.

With ProRes HQ (nominally 220 Mbps), if one records at 1080p24, one gets 176 Mbps, and for an extreme example, if one records at 720p24, one gets only 88 Mbps).

Thus the nanoFlash has significant bit-rate advantages all of the while using low cost CompactFlash cards.

Even at the relatively high speed of 220 Mbps or 280 Mbps, CompactFlash cards work fine.

The newer versions of the Axtremex 128 GB CompactFlash cards (600 and 800x) and the new Delkin CompactFlash cards (700x) all work easily at 280 Mbps.

And of course, the real sweet spot for the nanoFlash is 100 Mbps, which offers very high quality at a much lower bit-rate. For broadcast, 50 Mbps, offers broadcast acquisation quality; the same quality as the Sony PMW-F800 camera.

Thus, CompactFlash cards, are very compact (obviously) and the nanoFlash can support two slots while keeping the overall size very small.

Another difference is power draw, SSD's require more power to operate.

So while, we fully embrace SSD's as a company, the nanoFlash design, using CompactFlash cards is very viable.

Quality 32 GB CompactFlash cards, from reputable manufacturers can be purchased around $69.99 to $74.99. And 64 GB, ones suitable for the nanoFlash, are relatively economical also.

Please note that the nanoFlash does not require very high performance CompactFlash cards, which come at much higher prices, as are required for some of the competiting devices.

For Super 35 Cameras, you may be surprised how good the nanoFlash can be.

I have received a lot of emails from people using the Sony PMW-F3 with the nanoFlash.

The exceptionally low-noise F3's work very well with the low-noise codec built into the nanoFlash. These emails usually mention that the "images are just amazing".

For the FS-100 the nanoFlash is a perfect match. And the nanoFlash works well with the AF100. A movie was just made with the AF100 + nanoFlash and people are very happy with the images.

The nanoFlash is also a great match for the Canon C300.

While we have only preliminary reports, we are hopefull that the nanoFlash will work fine with the Nikon D800. All preliminary reports are very positive.

The nanoFlash should work well with the new FS-700 in it's regular mode. When the RAW Mode Upgrade is released, then a Raw capable recorder would be required.

And of course, we offer a very capable full uncompressed recorder, our Gemini 4:4:4 which allows one to get the ultimate in image quality from many cameras.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Damian,

While we have only preliminary reports, we are hopefull that the nanoFlash will work fine with the Nikon D800. All preliminary reports are very positive.

The nanoFlash should work well with the new FS-700 in it's regular mode. When the RAW Mode Upgrade is released, then a Raw capable recorder would be required.

Very interested in hearing about the Nikon compatibility! Will you be able to borrow one for testing in your lab?

Looks like the 8-Bit FS-700 is going to be the new king-of-the-hill - the Nanoflash should be an excellent choice for HD work with it.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Dear Simon,

One of our dealers is working directly with Nikon in testing the D800 with a nanoFlash.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News