Fujinon’s New 19-90 T2.9 Cabrio 35PL Zoom Lens with SERVO. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 11th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Fujinon’s New 19-90 T2.9 Cabrio 35PL Zoom Lens with SERVO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
There are people shooting documentaries on the Alexa and the RED cameras. It could also be useful on TV drama, with their tight schedules and love of hand held cameras.
The Alexa is technically a shoulder-mount cam. Just pop this lens on there and off you go; one doesn't need a crap load of stuff bolted on just to make the darn thing work. Focusing on the run would be an interesting exercise though.

Edit: Now this is what I'm talking about:
... Just minus the goofy handle bars.

Last edited by Konstantin Kovalev; April 11th, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Konstantin Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gottshalk View Post
For a S35 PL Mount lens that covers 5k and has a SERVO? That is cheap. It may not be for YOU, but there are plenty of DPs and rental houses that will snap these up at that price.
True plenty of DP's/rentals will buy it but not hundreds of thousands. Once upon a time (3 years ago) the 35mm look was also a millionaire's playground, now kids have it. It can be done with some smart manufacturing moves - maybe one day.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Part of the cost could be the use of expensive lightweight materials that can withstand professional wear and tear. The nearest RED equivalent zoom weighs nearly the double the weight, without having a servo motor etc fitted. Although, no doubt the cost of these types of lenses will reduce.

The lower cost option does exist with the RED, but it weighs approx ten pounds and would probably need support bars.

I suspect the market for these types of lenses isn't in the hundreds of thousands range. However, true parfocal versions of still camera lenses would work for quite a few people, but perhaps not the demanding market this Fijinon is aimed at.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
The Canon's might be more expensive, but they are Full Frame lenses and this is reflected in their price and size.
Please read the full press release: Newest Fujinon PL-Mount Zoom at DVInfo.net

Fourth paragraph: "This new zoom ensures the image captured will cover large sensors for optimal, full-frame resolution."

The Fuji 19-90mm T2.9 Cabrio 35PL Zoom covers full-frame sensors as well.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gottshalk View Post

It may not be for YOU, but there are plenty of DPs and rental houses that will snap these up at that price.
I understand your greater point about the market level this lens is built for, but:

I disagree. Most folks in this range of the market will opt for Optimo & Rouge, despite that it is a slightly more practical range and has the grip, which only a portion of folks who need the focal range will use. New Angenuiex zooms are marketable rentals. Niche zooms from new players in the PL market are not nearly in the same demand.

This lens is essentially built for run & gun use. That means a run & gun S35 camera. F3, C300. Price wise, the run & gun S35 market needs a zoom at $10K, not $30K.

They'll sell some of course, but I think they're missing the market. Right now Red 18-50 and 50-150 PL lenses are appreciating in value because low end PL cameras need low end zooms.

The camera manus and the lens manus are definitely NOT in sync.
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #21
Starway Pictures

I was in a conversation with a friend about how difficult it is to grind good quality glass and that is why good lenses like this Fujonon costs $35,000.

My friend's response was, "Yeah, well, it's far more difficult to build an Audi than a lens. Yet the Audi is the same price."

My response.... "Good point."

Just because your grandma uses a square pan to cook her roast doesn't mean it always has to be that way.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #22
New Boot

And weight!!!
Menno Mennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders View Post
I was in a conversation with a friend about how difficult it is to grind good quality glass and that is why good lenses like this Fujonon costs $35,000.

My friend's response was, "Yeah, well, it's far more difficult to build an Audi than a lens. Yet the Audi is the same price."
It's the mechanics that costs, not the glass itself. Audi's are mass produced, these lenses are probably hand made in batches for a relatively small professional market..
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 07:59 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I was so impressed with this lens at NAB. Felt really great handheld on a camera. The mechanics were flawless. The glass was very clean. I didn't even notice any breathing. Actually the price is not that bad for professional glass. The Fujinon broadcast HD zoom lenses (like the 13X4.5) that are standard in the broadcast industry are list price close to $30K and street price is around $22K. Though demand for this lens may keep the price at about the list. My understanding was Fujinon had more than 200 orders on the first day of the show and that Able had about 50 on the first day. So you can imagine the demand there will be.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:06 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Please read the full press release: Newest Fujinon PL-Mount Zoom at DVInfo.net

Fourth paragraph: "This new zoom ensures the image captured will cover large sensors for optimal, full-frame resolution."

The Fuji 19-90mm T2.9 Cabrio 35PL Zoom covers full-frame sensors as well.
I think it depends what 'full-frame' means: Some would expect that to mean 'full frame' photography style, and this lens won't -- nor will the Canon lenses, IIRC -- the size referenced in the press release is 31mm -- the size of a full-frame photo sensor is 43mm. If my math is correct, the 31mm dimension covers an S-35 (APS-C) sized sensor.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News