Videoguys Reflection of the NAB Show 2012 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 29th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Videoguys Reflection of the NAB Show 2012

Videoguys Reflection of the NAB Show 2012

Our First Article Highlighting News from the Show

Over the next week or two I'll be posting our NAB roundup article(s) going into more depth on each of our vendors NAB announcements and new product introductions. Today's article is more my impressions and reflections on the overall tone of the show and where the industry is heading.

NAB is a professional show - again.
Over the past few years the NAB show started to feel more and more like CES. We were starting to become dominated by the Apple distortion field and the thousands of FCP fans that attended. While FCP had made enormous inroads into professional post, the NAB floor seemed to be teaming with FCP kiddies. This crowd was full of young, aspiring editors who went more for the fun and give-aways than to conduct business. Last year’s FCPX fiasco at the Supermeet put an end to that, and I don't think it’s a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, I still love the SuperMeet and the Videoguys are a proud sponsor, I just think that the NAB show is better when it is attended by professionals and people who make a living using, selling, and creating products.

The Post PC era

Tim Cook, the new head of Apple, now refers to the current technology trend as the “post PC era.” I happen to agree with him when he talks about the people who use technology to view, watch and participate in media. But, when it comes to actually creating, managing and working with media, we still need the strongest most powerful machines.

The buzz around NAB was that the Mac Pro is dead. I heard speculation about this at almost every booth I visited. Based on all the intel (pun intended) I could gather, I'm going to give it to you straight - We will not see new Mac Pro updates. I hope I'm wrong, just like I was a year ago with FCPX. But my gut tells me that it's a done deal. Sure, Apple could change their mind in a heartbeat, but I don't see it happening. What I could see, and what I would LOVE to see happen is for Apple to license Mac OS to HP and allow us to run OSX on one of the new HP workstations, especially my dream machine, the all-in-one HP Z1 workstation.

As I tweeted the other day @videoguys “OS X on a new HP Z1 would be amazing! A Symphony to my ears, Smokin hot for all NLEs, my head would be in the CS6 clouds.”

Click here for the full article Videoguys' Reflections on the NAB Show 2012

Gary
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Videoguys Reflection of the NAB Show 2012

Great write-up, Gary. It covers the two most important points for editing on the Mac: the future of the Mac Pro and the state of Thunderbolt peripherals. That's precisely why I ended up buying a pimped-out iMac last year. I'd hoped that someone would make an external graphics card enclosure with Thunderbolt so that I could leverage CUDA with my Adobe CS5.5, but your "Thunderbolt, calling Mr. Thunderbolt!" section has fully explained the current state of affairs. Thank you for that.

On your wish to see Apple license the Mac OS to HP to install on the HP workstations, I'd be there in a heartbeat. But that's precisely why I don't think it will happen. I only buy the Mac hardware (and pay their premium) to work with the Mac OS. Unless Apple think they might make more from licensing fees than the hit they would take on hardware sales? But that would also undermine their "positioning" in the marketplace and what makes them one of the world's most profitable companies: a better "user experience". And at the heart of that is their OS (and iOS), in my opinion.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Nice job as always, Gary, and it was great to see you (briefly) at the show.

I'd be happy if they'd just rev the iMac...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Having just shelled out nearly $2K for a new MacBook pro for my beautiful and hard-working college-bound daughter, Apple better not be abandoning the Mac Book!

I've been a Windows PC guy because I work in IT. Linux on servers, Windows on the desktop. Finally warned up to the Mac 'cause the kid really wanted one. I must admit it is a slick piece of hardware. It better have a life!

Steve
Stephen Crye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Starway Pictures

MacBook's are definitely safe. It's Apple's bread-n-butter Mac.

Apple is probably looking at the numbers and realizing that they don't sell very many Mac Pros. Which is sad.

When Keycode Media came in an recently installed our Media Composers and Symphonys, we all knew one truth... these will probably be the last Avid's we use on a Mac.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News