Sony to announce restructuring plan on Sep 22 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 03:29 PM   #16
Wrangler

I don't have the complete low down, but from what I've seen, they may be able to replace even the CRT broadcast monitors. Could be wrong though. Nonetheless, SEDs are perfect to replace any consumer display device.

The new SED displays are a hybrid CRT-LED technology. My understanding is that each liquid crystal acts as a CRT with a phosphorescent coating. The response time and luminescence is similar to a CRT. The prototypes at the Canon Expo were stunning, supported HD, and didn't exhibit any ghosting, or problems with viewing angles.
Old October 8th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
Looks like CRTs are going the way of the audio tape and VHS.
You mean go the way of the El-cassette and Betamax? <g>

Sony has had a habit of pushing oddball "standards" while ignoring market realities.

Also, a few years ago when my 1989-90 era XBR Trinitron suffered an apparent horizontal drive failure, I decided to see what was available to replace it. Sony still had XBRs, and they looked great, but they also had compromised and introduced a loss-leader Trinitron series. They had silvery screens, poor contrast and picture quality. I bought a Panasonic 32" set and never regretted it.
Old October 9th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
The problem is China... they have gone from making crappy rip-offs to making quality electronics. I predict we see the $999 42" Plasma this Xmas.

ash =o)

Problem for Sony. Good for us.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #19
Wrangler

More bad news for Sony

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051015/japan...rade.html?.v=1

Quote:
Analysts generally were not impressed by the plan, saying it lacked vision and creativity. Instead of deciding on spin-offs or outlining a clearer way of piggybacking its electronics units with its entertainment arm, Sony's proposal sounded much like other plans to streamline the corporate structure to eliminate redundancies, they said.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News