New Full frame Nikon D600 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 12th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Trustee

New Full frame Nikon D600

According to its promo, "Uncompressed video via HDMI."

Nikon announces D600 24MP enthusiast full-frame DSLR: Digital Photography Review
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Full frame Nikon D600

Good week for new cameras. Wonder if the GH3 will join in.

I have to say, all the rumor mills have had major misinformation with this camera & the Sony A99, so I'm glad that DVInfo isn't a place for "Level 10,000 rumor, mostly guaranteed to be true from the barber of the janitor from the shipping department at Nikon"

The price point is just slightly higher than a 5Dii, so it would be interesting to see a comparison to these two cameras.

If nothing else, I'm really glad this has headphone out & clean HDMI. Canon are you listening?
Old September 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Trustee

Great looking video using 3 d600s

Old September 14th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

What are Nikon thinking? It's only about 10% more expensive to buy a D800. Maybe they want to be like the printer manufacturers who seem to have half a dozen different models with only about 50 dollars difference in price between the cheapest & most expensive.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<What are Nikon thinking? It's only about 10% more expensive to buy a D800. Maybe they want to be like the printer manufacturers who seem to have half a dozen different models with only about 50 dollars difference in price between the cheapest & most expensive.>>

I don't know the prices overseas, but in the U.S. the D800 is $3,000, while the D600 is $2100. That appears to be a 43% increase over the D600 to reach for the D800.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gresham View Post
<<What are Nikon thinking? It's only about 10% more expensive to buy a D800. Maybe they want to be like the printer manufacturers who seem to have half a dozen different models with only about 50 dollars difference in price between the cheapest & most expensive.>>

I don't know the prices overseas, but in the U.S. the D800 is $3,000, while the D600 is $2100. That appears to be a 43% increase over the D600 to reach for the D800.
Here in the UK Warehouse Express have the D800 at £2249 and the D600 can be pre-ordered at £1995 while at Calumet the prices are £2275 & £1995. By my reckoning that's only about 13-14% more for a D800.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why the difference in price is so narrow there.

You are right. For a 13% difference, the D800 seems to be the obvious choice unless you really need the smaller/lighter body of the D600.

The U.S. prices change that calculation.
Tom Gresham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Interesting camera for the price.

I am about to buy a full frame again for my business. I have owned the 7D and 5D MKII. The Nikon looks interesting and worth a further look.

90% of the use will be full frame RAW stills. I have never used the Nikon lens line. Any input vs Canon EF-L?
Old September 19th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
90% of the use will be full frame RAW stills. I have never used the Nikon lens line. Any input vs Canon EF-L?
I've shot both systems, and for the most part your splitting hairs between them. But as far as the glass goes, my basic assessment would be that the Nikon glass generally has a slight edge in image quality, but Canon has a wider range of lenses (like their lovely fixed-f/4 zooms, which Nikon has no equivalent to).

I prefer Nikon for ergonomics (on which they win by a fair margin), but really it just depends on what you like.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 05:46 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thank you Mark that is very helpful. Glass choices makes a different but I have a buddy who lives by Nikon. So I will just have to go where I can check both out at the same time and decide. Ah a fun problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News