Next year: uncompressed HDMI output on Canon 5D Mk. III - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Next year: uncompressed HDMI output on Canon 5D Mk. III

My question is, will the signal be frame rate controlled (24,25,30p)? I read on some forum that HDMI is 50/60i (and that most cameras HDMI is "only" 50/60i)... How dose that work?

This made it so much harder... Sell the 5D3 and continue to que for BMCC or save up for a external recorder.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #17
Trustee

I agree. Having true uncompressed output via HDMI is nice but for 24p work it can be a major pain if it wraps it in a 60i video. Pulldown can be removed of course but it is an extra step.

The sad thing is that HDMI can support true 24p. I use HDMI with my Blackmagic Thunderbolt device and can output true native 24p from my NLE to a cheap consumer HDTV from Best Buy.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Dear Thomas,

The nanoFlash has the capability, for most cameras, to automatically remove the 3:2 Pulldown frames and record true progressive 1080p24.

Thus, 24p over 60i, is normally not a problem for the nanoFlash, as we detect the pulldown frames and remove them.
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #19
Trustee

Good to know. Thanks!
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #20
Major Player

Clean HDMI out and a price drop of $500!!!

Probably sales weren't as expected. They even drop the price of the 305 in Europe considerably. It seems they realized, albeit a bit late, that they cannot charged a premium for the Canon badge after all.

Many forumistas here (including myself), have warned them since last year, that their products were overpriced and under-specked, something the current financial reality cannot tolerate.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #21
Major Player

I'll say this as a company that was committed to Canon for years. I've been very vocal in my disappointment in the C line for the same reasons as you state Emmanuel.

I run a pretty busy creative/production shop.
But like virtually every company I work with in this economy, we're all asked, everyday to do more for less and with less.
Again in an economy that has been this way for a while, this has become the standard in virtually every industry that we work.

Its foolish and, I think, irresponsible to your base to be asking premium prices for average gear - the C100 being the classic example of this. Ruining a great new sensor with an intentionally marginal codec and no option for variable frame rates and a crappy evf, while charging more than cameras that do more.

They've lost there way while Sony has found it.
I genuinely think the launch of the C line vs the new F line will define how Canon lost it's place in our professional market.

Had they been visionary, forward thinking and thoughtful of their professional base (outside of Hollywood) Canon could have owned this market after the 5DII. But instead they treated it like a mistake and back-peddled their way into this foolish C line that should be great but isn't because they decided to try and manipulate their base.

By contrast Sony embraced what we've all been asking of Canon for 3 years. Sony delivered on Canon's potential and now they'll own the market going forward and Canon will have to figure out how to fix their mess.

Which will be too late for many of their former dedicated users.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:34 AM   #22
Major Player

You still have 3 months for Sony cameras to be launched. The prices are yet to be announced.

However, Canon will definitely understand that the very fact that people are waiting for the Sony cameras and wanting to jump the ship means they have to respond.

They will. Enjoy the competition.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
PS: I would also hope that they also allow HDMI out of their Mark IV and 1D X cameras. This will ensure that many more people will use these cameras and also use their lenses, thereby helping in binding people to their bandwagon.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News