Apple Introduces Ultra-thin iMac and Updated Mac Mini, and 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Apple Introduces Ultra-thin iMac and Updated Mac Mini, and 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro

We'll have to wait for the retina displays on iMac, but finally USB 3.0 with Ivy Bridge processors.

Apple introduces ultra-thin iMac, updated Mac mini desktops - latimes.com

iMac
Apple - iMac - Technical Specifications

MacBook Pro
Apple - MacBook Pro

The main focus of the announcement was actually the iPad mini.

iPad mini release date, shipping date announced: Apple (APPL) to release new iMac, iPads, MacBook

Apple - iPad mini - Every inch an iPad.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Apple Introduces Ultra-thin iMac and Updated Mac Mini, and 13 inch Retina MacBook

The 27" imac looks like a pretty decent CS6 machine. Dual thunderbolt for storage and i/o, GPU configurable to a 680MX will make the mercury engine run smooth and will probably fair well with after effects raytracing. The fusion drive looks allright, that or SSD only would be a must though to get the best performance. I like that at least on the 27" you can still replace ram yourself, and you can go up to 32GB.
Nevin Styre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Apple Introduces Ultra-thin iMac and Updated Mac Mini, and 13 inch Retina MacBook

I think the ram was always user-serviceable on iMacs, which is decent of Apple, considering how they overcharge on memory.

5mm at the edge?! How the heck did they fit a computer into that thing? Also, a good move with nvidia graphics, now I can actually put all those CUDA-accelerated features out there to the test.

I'm actually kind of glad there's no retina display yet, so far it would seem to be more of a burden on the system, than an actual aid. On the other hand, seeing 4K in all its 1:1 glory would be marvelous.
Konstantin Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #4
Major Player

The top link is some spam for Google where they SEO their own video of talking heads looking at their webcams talking about products without showing images of them.

The new imac seen elsewhere sure looks killer.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/10/24/imac_21.jpg
Old October 28th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I never got this "thinner is better" thing, especially at a desktop - I mean who care how thin it is when it is sitting there?
You want a beefy workhorse not a design sculpture. No?
That is essentially a laptop within a big screen, and mobile GPUs don't cut it.
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That was the first I thought as well, I can understand the use for a super thin laptop or a tablet because that you can take with you all the time but I don't see people carrying a Imac around, it's a desktop meaning it stays on one place and normally doesn't move, what's the advantage of it being thin? I only expect problems with the thing overheating, this is a pretty useless design step, it's starting to show Steve is not around anymore.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Major Player

The funny thing about the iMac is that you will end up with an external box(es) to house the
a) The hard drives that can't be installed into it.
b) The optical burner drives that won't fit into it.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News