MoVI BTS Stabiliser Rig - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 6th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: MoVI BTS Stabiliser Rig

It takes multiple people now, but imagine integrating something like this with in-camera face and scene/composition detection. You could then walk through a shot ahead of time and set keyframes that would execute the appropriate focus and framing automatically while you operated the rig.
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:12 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
It takes multiple people now, but imagine integrating something like this with in-camera face and scene/composition detection. You could then walk through a shot ahead of time and set keyframes that would execute the appropriate focus and framing automatically while you operated the rig.
I'd really rather not imagine a future like that. Both focus and framing benefit immeasurably from the artistic sensibility of the person behind each aspect. For a simple shot, arguably there are situations where all that is desired is to keep a particular subject in focus, and perhaps then an automatic focus and framing scenario would be acceptable and desirable. Say for example, a spokesperson doing a simple walk and talk delivered to camera. Given shallow enough focus however, where there is a choice between one and the other eye, there's still some human thought to be applied, and any scenario with a rack focus needs to be reactive to the particulars of a given take in terms of timing, speed and variation in distance as is always the case with live subjects and a moving camera. The future of focus pulling is sure to become more automated, and nearly every AC I work with now incorporates a monitor as part of their process, but there's still a tremendous amount of skill involved to deliver flawlessly sharp shots across a S35 frame.

Regarding framing: again, if one is shooting a simple subject and the goal is a mechanical result such as "glue them to the crosshairs" or "glue them x amount to the left of the crosshairs", possibly this would work. Even still, what is "proper" headroom for every variation of distance to the subject? I constantly ask my operators to make minute adjustments to headroom to fit my aesthetic (after having spent a good number of years having that inflicted on me). It's a little bit like asking a computer to make a painting. Every nuance of framing, especially with a moving camera, is very much a part of the operator's skill, artistry and even personal expression, if I may use such a flowery term. Watch this exquisite shot from the legendary Steadicam operator Larry McConkey, and pay very close attention to where he places Pacino in the 2:40 frame at any given moment. It's like a masterclass in framing. None of it is left up to chance, every moment is a choice made in advance and executed flawlessly, reacting to the nuance of performance with the speed of light. No piece of software is going to duplicate that.

I can't begin to compare myself to Larry but he was my greatest influence as an operator and I certainly bore his lessons in mind when I designed this little number (that link includes breakdown of the shot design, but the video quality is pretty awful--this is marginally better).

As far as the Movi itself as a possible Steadicam replacement--it's an evolutionary step, and not unexpected. We are sure to see this technology merge with Steadicam (I well expect to see it mounted to a Steadicam arm soon enough, which will aid with both the weight management and vertical stability) and make its way into many other scenarios other than a handheld stabilizer. I personally expect to see axial stabilization happen on in-camera within a few years, making external apparati like these unnecessary. But this is a step along the way.
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #18
Major Player

I think it has some very interesting possibilities.
Will we see longer, freemoving shots show up more now in corporate videos, indiefilms and commercials?
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #19
Wrangler

Fwiw...

It's a great item. However..
I saw 2 other s just like (granted lighter and unfinished) that will be around $2k.

Id expect within 18 months there will be multiple options under $3k for DSLR cameras.

Will have pics wheni get out of this Tijuana jail and back to the USA. Dvinfo bail posting is slow.
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
None of it is left up to chance, every moment is a choice made in advance and executed flawlessly, reacting to the nuance of performance with the speed of light. No piece of software is going to duplicate that.
I think you misunderstood what I was suggesting. I'm not talking about software that figures out things like focus or composition for you (i.e. autofocus or autocomposition), I'm talking about something that lets you plan everything in advance - and simply leverages these technologies to help you execute it. I'm thinking in terms of planning your camera movement, composition and focus along the same lines that someone working in the 3D animation world does now, but then having the operator guide and tweak the execution of that plan in real time. So the operator's job becomes one of focusing on and reacting primarily to the nuances of the performance, rather than trying to juggle that with the broader mechanics of a given move or sequence.
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #21
Major Player

Here's the quick video we did yesterday at the show......
Quite impressive in your hands...

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #22
Wrangler

Evan:

Not quite sure I understand the distinction you are making, but it's cool, the future will bring what it brings.

Focus is a better fit for an automated process than framing, in any event. A large percentage of the job of focus pulling is keeping a specific subject sharp, with a small percentage devoted to making choices on what that actually means and transition focus to other subjects. So, that could more likely be automated via face recognition. I've imagined for a few years now a tablet setup where an AC would tap on the desired subject, swipe to the next subject to do a rack etc.

The best use of framing assist is to eliminate backpanning due to rotation of the chassis, such as transitioning out of a curve into a straight section, or panning a jib while attempting to maintain a straight-ahead orientation. Stabilized heads do this by nature and it makes it easier for the operator not to have to dial in a pan to keep the lens looking the same direction.

I'm a little perplexed by some of the suggestions that are being bandied around that you don't need much "skill" on the side of the chap carrying the Movi, that a PA can be just tossed the rig and away you go. Placing a camera into space is very much part of the process of making a moving shot successful. There are a significant number of decisions to make at any time: what height should the lens be, what speed and acceleration of movement in the three lateral axes is ideal. I had many experiences operating remotely while relying on others for the placement in space of the camera (Skycam, dolly, Technocrane) and it can be either exhilarating when you have that innate communication, or eminently frustrating when you don't (you find yourself straining at the controls muttering "come on! move!"). One of the things that makes Steadicam so satisfying is that you can regulate all axes of movement yourself, which allow for incredible subtlety and the ability to react at the drop of a dime. Very much trickier with a two-man band.
Old April 13th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Charles,

For the last 9 years we have been operating cameras remotely on RC helicopters and I have the same thoughts as you. I have been working with the same camera op all that time and we have found that when we are allowed to "do our own thing" really good things often result. We have gotten pretty good at anticipating one another. This didn't happen over night. Even now we occasionally get out of sync at times. When we get micro-managed and/or thrown off of our normal flow, usually by outside influences, it gets frustrating very quickly for everyone. I am looking forward to getting this thing to see for myself. I don't think it is going to make any of what I mentioned any easier, but the final result will be far more stable.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post

Id expect within 18 months there will be multiple options under $3k for DSLR cameras.
18 months :)
Old July 7th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #25
Tourist

Hello,

we plan to offer our handheld brushless stabilizers soon. There will be a version for cameras around 2 kg, one for cameras up to 5 kg, like the Red Epic and we also build a stabilized head for cameras up to 10 kg, to be used on a steadicam arm or easyrig. The mid sized version is the most advanced in the moment. This is a test with 5 kg weight including camera and brass weights:

We have first prototypes to test and improve step by step and plan to add small joysticks to the handles for better control of pan and tilt in single operator mode. For more information, upgrades and new videos you might visit our website www.portahead.de from time to time.

Andreas Kielb
Andreas Kielb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #26
Wrangler

When I said months... I really meant WEEKS. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
Old July 14th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #27
Major Player

Here's a new one called a DEFY in three versions, they said would be $1800.00, but now I see you can order the 2 lb one for $2,300.

DEFY PRODUCTS by RELENTLESS, INC.

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Wrangler

Within a year I imagine there will be as many as a dozen gimbals on the market (i.e. actually shipping), all doing roughly the same thing. And probably 18 months later, half of them will be out of business as they deal with supply and demand issues, component availability, fierce competition etc. Keep that in mind when you make your purchase, peeps. Early adopters face the the very real possibility of an unsupported purchase.
Old July 16th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #29
Major Player

I dread this scenario. If something fails either due to design or component quality, routine wear and tear or simply operator error, these rigs can be costly paper weights.

Better to wait till next year for this category to mature a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Early adopters face the the very real possibility of an unsupported purchase.
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
Better to wait till next year for this category to mature a bit.
OTOH If you're the only guy in town with one of these I'll bet you could recover your costs very quickly before the manufacturer went to the wall!
Mark Morreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News