New from Black Magic Design - 4K Cinema Camera - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 19th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #151
Major Player

Re: New from Black Magic Design - 4K Cinema Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
#No XLRs. So you have to use some kind of juicedLink type mixer (suggesting juicedLink due to lower cost).
Or you could pony up $6 and just change the cable. I already have dozens in my recording studio as much of my outboard gear uses TRS connectors including high end units like the Manley Massive Passive.

LINK to cable Amazon.com: Monoprice 1.5ft Gold Plated 16AWG XLR Female to 1/4-inch TRS Male Cable: Musical Instruments
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #152
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Innovators? This is a major for profit corporation.... not Kickstarter kids in their basement.
They have not really innovated anything, they have just copied what is out there smaller and cheaper.
Innovators need not be charity organisations nor small inventors. Was Apple innovative making the iPod? innovators build on what already exists. Picasso is still an innovator even though he used paint and canvas. Jimi Hendrix was an innovator using the same chords on the same type of guitar through the same amp that countless before him used...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #153
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post
Or you could pony up $6 and just change the cable. I already have dozens in my recording studio as much of my outboard gear uses TRS connectors including high end units like the Manley Massive Passive.

LINK to cable Amazon.com: Monoprice 1.5ft Gold Plated 16AWG XLR Female to 1/4-inch TRS Male Cable: Musical Instruments
I thought that the downfall of not having XLR outputs in the camera was mainly due to the fragility of the quarter inch connections?
Old April 19th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #154
Inner Circle

The main difference is that XLRs are captive. 1/4" are not. I don't believe that it's a fragility thing; it's that the plug can come loose.

Any guitar player knows this. We wrap the cable inside the guitar strap for strain relief. Do that and a 1/4" plug is rugged enough for a punk band on stage. :)
Old April 19th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #155
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post

It seems you are planning to plug in a microphone directly. And from where will you get phantom power?

XLR connectors are the defacto professional standards due to a reason. XLR connectors, apart from ensuring that microphone doesn't come out accidentally, also don't have the ability to loosen up and make noise.
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #156
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
It seems you are planning to plug in a microphone directly. And from where will you get phantom power?

XLR connectors are the defacto professional standards due to a reason. XLR connectors, apart from ensuring that microphone doesn't come out accidentally, also don't have the ability to loosen up and make noise.
Fair points, and I'll be the first to admit the 1/4" jacks aren't a perfect interface, but they're certainly workable. For things like interviews I typically use a wireless system that doesn't need phantom power and I also have a couple of outboard pre amps so this isn't an issue for me. My other 4k camera at 144mbps is overkill for interviews though and at 880+ mbps I'm not sure I'll ever use the BM for that purpose but in the event I do it will work with my rig. On the topic of audio I'm more concerned whether the new camera will have input metering which to me is far more critical than XLR jacks.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News