NEW!! FlowCam 5 Digital Stabilizer (not MOVI) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old July 26th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Sponsor: VariZoom

NEW!! FlowCam 5 Digital Stabilizer (not MOVI)

VariZoom now has an all new digital stabilizer (the FlowCam) that is now ready to ship.

The FlowCam weighs less than 6 pounds and supports about 5 pounds of camera. You can go to our site links below or direct to a video we posted on our youtube channel here:

The introductory price is $4,495. Our retail price will jump in the future but will wait until we exhaust our current inventory.

VariZoom FlowCam 5
or
VariZoom FlowCam - Digital Stabilizer

Okay this footage shot was done in a two camera shot so what you see is what you get. Granted I paced through it quickly in flip flops a bit fast because we were about to close the doors.

You can see by the two perspectives there are no cuts etc. Certainly if you own a stabilizer you know the benefits of this design. If you are a beginner you can do a very good job without much practice and if you are a pro operator (im not) you will be a master within an hour because of your previous experience.

There are some other cool features we will share with any serious inquiries.

Last edited by Thomas McKay; July 27th, 2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: commnets
Thomas McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: NEW!! FlowCam 5 Digital Stabilizer (not MOVI)

I watched the video. I don't get it. And certainly not at that price point.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

very expensive even at the promo price.

bsteady comes in half price and looks so much better

also rotorview similar item comes with a better price

and am sure that we will soon seen in ebay even better options
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Trustee

Just wait for the idea to be copied by our Asian friends and you'll see this available for under $500 very soon.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Is this a parody thread and I'm just missing the joke?

The MOVI comes out for $15 grand or whatever and everyone says "Just wait until China gets a hold of it. They'll have one out for $7000!"

Now one comes along for $5000 and everyone says "Pshaw! Too much!" and "Just wait until China gets a hold of it, it'll be $500!"

Next week it'll be one for $1000 and everyone will be like "Nope! wouldn't pay more than $10!"
Are people spoiled a by some fountain of free stuff somewhere that I've managed to miss out on? Coz I like free stuff. Please tell where it is.
Murray Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #6
Trustee

Murray, it's not a joke thread ...

Three people saying they won't buy it on a 'online forum', out of thousands of customers that WILL buy this device at this price point isn't exactly a big deal.

Don't you think the company has done it's market research and know who they're targeting ?

It obviously isn't me. The solo wedding videographer ...

Probably the big production company with expensive projects etc who will ACTUALLY benefit from one of these.

I'm the sort of customer that would buy one as a novelty item at the right price for a couple of 3-4 second sequences for my wedding highlights trailers.
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Maybe I should't say this. But didn't the guy with the monopod do a good job. haha.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:13 AM   #8
Major Player

James: I'm not that concerned really. It just seems like such a nasty reception to something that is a heck of a lot cheaper than the previous toast of the interwebs (even if there are a few other things coming along now as well at around this price). Also interesting that MOVI appear to be out of business before they even start.

Anyway, I should be accustomed to this. Every camera is too expensive, doesn't have enough features, is the wrong design/form factor etc. All of them, according to the internet ;)
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #9
New Boot

It's nice to see alternatives come out to the stabilisation race, this is very good for the consumer of these products. More competition driving price and innovation.

However, in my opinion the panning doesn't seem to flow very well. Rather unnatural to begin and end the pan.
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
Maybe I should't say this. But didn't the guy with the monopod do a good job. haha.
You beat me to it. His footage was just as good .IMO.

A few additional thought:

I'm a big believer that an accessory should never cost more than the camera.

Nice unit, but it would be nice if they would explain what makes this any different, or better, than other stabilizers.

How soon before stabilization is built into a camera?
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Major Player

Ok, just to be Mr Tediouspants, I am going to have to wonder what monopod footage people are watching here. The guy did a good job, but every little twitch and shake is going straight into his shot, unlike the rigged one (which is entirely the point of these things)
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Christian View Post
Ok, just to be Mr Tediouspants, I am going to have to wonder what monopod footage people are watching here. The guy did a good job, but every little twitch and shake is going straight into his shot, unlike the rigged one (which is entirely the point of these things)
I agree.

I think people are going a bit over the top with their comments and definitely 'trolling' ...

The rig does what it's made to do, no doubt. But at the price of nearly a pre-owned FS700 ... good luck selling them.
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #13
Major Player

That sample footage looks nice. I'm curious what is the principle of operation, is any power involved, does it use motors or gyros, how long to set up and/or balance, how many dB noise if motors/gyros, if gyros how long to spin up, shock tolerance, etc.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #14

Ha, ha ,ha wow tough crowd!

Murray I appreciate your perspective on this in regard to some of these comments. It's no big deal at all.

I actually get a kick out of it. I have a wireless focus control for about $5,000. and there are always a couple guys that claim it is "too expensive" or can make it for $500. or $1,000. or $3,000.

Has not happened yet or at least I have not seen one for less that actually works as well. But I have had many sales after someone bought a cheap device that did not work well was not supported by the manufacturer.

You will never get a comparable product to this for $500 as someone suggested but maybe China will produce one for $2,500-$3,000. I doubt you get much technical support and if you need a software upgrade parts or just a quick phone call for help that may also be tough.

The folks that own stabilizers are concerned and thrilled by the technology. It is a very cool product and it is not expensive to anything comparable.

VariZoom is also working on a rig to handle cameras up to 12 pounds but it has not been easy or cheap to get there and we are not there quite yet.

I look forward to meeting up with folks that emailed with their interest.

Best regards

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Christian View Post
Is this a parody thread and I'm just missing the joke?

The MOVI comes out for $15 grand or whatever and everyone says "Just wait until China gets a hold of it. They'll have one out for $7000!"

Now one comes along for $5000 and everyone says "Pshaw! Too much!" and "Just wait until China gets a hold of it, it'll be $500!"

Next week it'll be one for $1000 and everyone will be like "Nope! wouldn't pay more than $10!"
Are people spoiled a by some fountain of free stuff somewhere that I've managed to miss out on? Coz I like free stuff. Please tell where it is.
Thomas McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #15

James, I don't understand the logic in comparing the cost of an accessory to the cost of a camera?

Is there some rule of thumb you are following here? No accessory should exceed the value of the camera from which it is attached ;) I don't follow you on that.

I have camera cranes that are $10,000.

Good accessories often cost more than the cameras they support. They weigh more are bigger and and made in much smaller production runs. That's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
I agree.

I think people are going a bit over the top with their comments and definitely 'trolling' ...

The rig does what it's made to do, no doubt. But at the price of nearly a pre-owned FS700 ... good luck selling them.
Thomas McKay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News