New Sony FDR AX33 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 6th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: New Sony FDR AX33

This looks like a sony CXxxx replacement, a smaller sensor doesn't necessarily mean worse low light performance though as my cx730 is equally sensitive as my ax100 yet produces less noise at it's highest iso but cannot match the ax100 detail at those levels after downscaling from 4k to 1080p.

This might be a worthy replacement for my cx730's once the price goes down in a year or so.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Yep, I'm thinking the same thing, upgrade the PJ760...

The low light specs I read on the Sony page indicated it's a bit worse in low light in 4K modes than in 1080p modes... 9 lux vs 6 lux IIRC.

Of course all the specs are "open" until we get more solid info - it would certainly be "nice" if this was the 1" AX100 sensor on a "magic eyeball", and it would make this a nice second cam to the AX100 (and at the $999 price not $100 more!).

IMO the "random number" approach to product info release needs a bit of work! Panasonic seems to have done a bit better job of getting their specs in a row... and a couple good "competing" offerings to keep things interesting!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:44 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Even stranger, there appears to be a Euro model, AXP33 with a projector, and the US model without...

BUT... the good news is that AX100 should get the higher bitrate with new firmware in March!!

Now where is the 4K firmware for the RX10/RX100M3... c'mon Sony, give us some love! We all know the hardware is there...
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:50 AM   #19
Regular Crew

"The FDR-AX100 will also support XAVC S 4K 100Mbps high-bitrate recording through a firmware update scheduled for March 2015."

Source: Capture every detail of your life in 4K* with compact new... - Sony
Jurij Turnsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 07:09 AM   #20
Inner Circle

So, presumably (!) the Sony PXW-X70 will get this 100Mbps 4K encoding rate too - and hopefully a few other flavours of XAVC, bearing in mind it's going to be a paid for update whilst the "lesser" AX100 etc. will get it for free?
Old January 6th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #21
Inner Circle

The X70 may get expanded XAVC flavors beyond XAVC-S, which means 4:2:2 10bit is therefore possible in 4K. Keep in mind the AX100 and X70 do not support U3 SDXC cards, even though they have the best front-ends with their 1'' sensors. Knowing Sony, unless they add a XQD slot to the X70, there won't be expanded XAVC flavors for 4K60p or 4K intra-only available.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 07:24 AM   #22
Regular Crew

1/2.3 type(7.76mm) back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS Sensor
Andrew Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:22 AM   #23
Inner Circle

The LongGOP upgrade for the PXW-Z100 was still 4:2:0 8 bit XAVC-L MXF which is what I think will be the case for the X70 . I agree the sensible way would be to have a hardware up grade to XQD cards for the X70.

We will have to wait and see have the low light performance compares to previous models. It look like the specs show about the same for HD performance.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:41 AM   #24
Austinite

FDR-AX33/B $999.99 no ETA...
4K Ultra HD 3840×2160

Handycam camcorder is around 30% smaller and 20% lighter than the current model and is the first 4K Handycam to come equipped with Balanced Optical SteadyShot technology capable of suppressing blur during all modes of shooting, from wide-angle to telephoto. With this automatic image stabilization, high-resolution 4K video recording becomes easier for consumers than ever before.

• Capture 4k/30p video that far exceeds HD resolution
• 1" Exmor R® CMOS sensor w/ Direct Pixel Read Out
• 14MP resolution video and 20MP still image capture
• Versatile shooting w/ XAVC S2, AVCHD and MP4 codecs
• Carl Zeiss® Vario Sonnar T* lens w/ 12x optical zoom
• Multi-interface Accessory Shoe for system accessories
• Advanced Features
• Image Stabilization :B.O.S.S. - Balanced Optical SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
• Wi-Fi : Built-In (Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band)
• NightShot® Infrared System : Yes
• CinemaTone Gamma/Color : Yes
• Intelligent Auto : Portrait / Baby / Walk / Tripod / Backlight / Landscape / Spotlight / Twilight / Macro / Low light / Auto wind noise reduction
• x.v.Color™ : Yes
• Audio Level Display : Yes
• Assignable Dial : Yes (Exposure /AE Shift / WB Temp. / WB B-A / WB G-M Set)
• Face Detection : Yes
• Smile Shutter™ technology : Dual Capture / Always On / Off
• Priority Setting (for Face Detection) : Auto/OFF
• AGC Limit : Yes
• Airplane Mode : Yes
• Wi-Fi Functionality : Remote control with mobile device, send to smartphone, send to PC (with optional wi-fi accessory)
• Tracking Focus : Yes
• Motion Shot Video : Yes (AVCHD / XAVC S HD or MP4 only)
• Premium Closer Voice : Yes
• Golf Shot : Yes [AVCHD only]
• My Voice Canceling : Yes
• Smooth Slow Rec : Yes [AVCHD only]
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Phil, could you check up on the specs.4K Camcorder with 1" sensor ? FDR-AX33/B Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US The Sony site has both sensor sizes quoted on the same page !!!! I think that there is a little cut and paste error !! I am sure the sensor is really 1/2.3 as stated lower down in the specs page.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #26
Trustee

Re: New Sony FDR AX33 does indeed have the small sensor

The 35mm-equivalent wide end for the AX100 and the AX33 is stated to be about 29mm.

But if you look at the lenses of the two camcorders you see engraved around the lens (so no typos):

AX100: 9.3mm-111.6mm

AX33: 3.8-38

The crop factor of the AX33 is much bigger than that of the AX100, indicating its sensor is much smaller. It's the same size sensor as that for the Sony Action Cam!
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #27
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Phil, could you check up on the specs.4K Camcorder with 1" sensor ? FDR-AX33/B Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US The Sony site has both sensor sizes quoted on the same page !!!! I think that there is a little cut and paste error !! I am sure the sensor is really 1/2.3 as stated lower down in the specs page.

Ron Evans
It's listed as a 1/2.3" sensor on the B&H page:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1109387-REG/sony_hdr_ax33v_4k_ultra_hd.html

Does the camera come with a lens hood? I haven't come across any pics with one. Nor is one listed with "in the box." The new 4K Panasonics come with one.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:07 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Pretty sure it's the smaller sensor... BIG goof to list it as a 1" sensor... oh well, it's got some other "handy" features, if the video output looks good, should be a decent stealth/second angle cam that again can be cropped with good results for HD projects.

Good question on the hood... haven't seen one yet in any promo posted, would seem like it should get one, but maybe they decided "stealth" was more important?!
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #29
Major Player

Multi Camera Control Live Streaming

Intriguing - Can 5 compatible cameras be live switched with the wifi function and then streamed?
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
The LongGOP upgrade for the PXW-Z100 was still 4:2:0 8 bit XAVC-L MXF which is what I think will be the case for the X70 . I agree the sensible way would be to have a hardware up grade to XQD cards for the X70.

We will have to wait and see have the low light performance compares to previous models. It look like the specs show about the same for HD performance.

Ron Evans
Makes you wonder why 4K/UHD wasn't included on the X70 from the get-go rather than added as an upgrade, let alone as a paid upgrade (and IIRC from rumors I read a while ago, not a cheap one).
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News