BlackMagic - URSA Mini - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 7th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #76
Trustee

Re: BlackMagic - URSA Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
And sure the sensor is older, but it's upgradable! So in a year or two years (or conceivably forever) you'll always be able to replace just a sensor. It seems like a much better investment in both the short term and the long term. Am I wrong about this?
This never works out. You can replace the engine in your car when a more fuel efficient one comes out, but given the cost of the engine and the cost of installing it, you'd do better to sell (or junk) the car and buy a new one.

I haven't seen the upgrade options for BM specifically, but I've never had a good experience with an "upgradable" central part of a piece of equipment. Never pencils out.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watson View Post
This never works out. You can replace the engine in your car when a more fuel efficient one comes out, but given the cost of the engine and the cost of installing it, you'd do better to sell (or junk) the car and buy a new one.

I haven't seen the upgrade options for BM specifically, but I've never had a good experience with an "upgradable" central part of a piece of equipment. Never pencils out.
They've pulled it off for one generation at least, since they started with a 4K sensor and are now offering as an upgrade a significantly nicer 4.6K sensor, at least on paper. The big question is, how far can they go?

Red's been able to stretch parts out across several generations, but then you can buy an Ursa Mini for the price of a Red Touch display, or an Ursa Mini + an AJA Cion for the price of a Dragon upgrade ;)
Not that you'd necessarily WANT to do that, but you get the point.
Rakesh Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #78
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
I'm #2 in the preorder queue with my vendor, so hopefully you'll be able to see some footage fairly soon. I'm planning on dragging that beast up a mountain or two as well as using it in studio shoots, so we'll see. :)
I hope you don't plan on holding your breath for that "SOON".
FWIW, I'm #1 on the list of one of the largest Blackmagic dealers, and realistically, having been #1/#2 on every pre-order on every BMCC in the past...
I don't expect this camera until September/October, at earliest.

Also.... Sorry... I'm with Mike Watson on the whole concept of the "upgrade". You're better off just tossing your old one in the trash and buying a whole new one in the case of low cost cameras like the BMCC, where the downtime is more expensive than the upgrade.
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #79
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
I hope you don't plan on holding your breath for that "SOON".
FWIW, I'm #1 on the list of one of the largest Blackmagic dealers, and realistically, having been #1/#2 on every pre-order on every BMCC in the past...
I don't expect this camera until September/October, at earliest.
That's why I said "hopefully" :)

I suspect that you're right about that; odds are these guys will be delayed quite a bit. I'm hoping not, but BMD doesn't exactly have a great track record in that regard.

Quote:
Also.... Sorry... I'm with Mike Watson on the whole concept of the "upgrade". You're better off just tossing your old one in the trash and buying a whole new one in the case of low cost cameras like the BMCC, where the downtime is more expensive than the upgrade.
BMCC, yes. Ursa though, they actually pulled off one upgrade. The Mini is in the same class as the BMCC though; it's an all-in-one unit, so when it's time to upgrade, it's also time to sell off the old one.
Old May 9th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
Making it more modular would raise its production cost quite a bit.
It would probably also compromise the camera's ergonomics.
Lawrence Bansbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:30 AM   #81
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach View Post
It would probably also compromise the camera's ergonomics.
You're probably right about that.
Old June 14th, 2015, 06:41 AM   #82
Major Player

I assume the Ursa Mini will interest film makers, mainly. Correct me if I'm wrong but the resolution of 35mm film is slightly above 3K, correct? I'm not even sure film has 15 stops of DN, does it?

So basically I'm not sure why anybody would go with the 4.6 sensor instead of the 4k, which has plenty of DR, allows 4:4:4 in ProRes. More rez, is that it? So there will be people what will keep upgrading to get more rez? When you reach a certain limit, where do you stop? How more rez does translate into perceived sensation by a non informed audience, as long as you have 4 K since we've been conditioned to 4 K by film, a little less actually? I'm trying to see what justifies to go from 3000 bucks to 5000 just to have more rez and a slightly bigger sensor. One could buy a nice lens for the difference.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #83
Inner Circle

I suspect factors like the black sun may come in with the 4k sensor. You really need to look at the images rather than the numbers, such as how they handle skin tones and how clippy the highlights are. This 4.6k sensor is both global and rolling shutter, the 15 stops seems to refer to the latter, with I gather 13.5 for the global.

Film seems to accepted to be around the 14 stop mark, perhaps a tad more..

The worth of any cost difference may depend may depend on how much you push your camera into the limits when creating your images.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #84
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the resolution of 35mm film is slightly above 3K, correct?
Quality film stock can resolve the equivalent of 6-8K worth of detail.

Quote:
I'm not even sure film has 15 stops of DN, does it?
Film has a practical DR of about 10 stops, but it doesn't hard clip. Instead, it has a soft rolloff. Have an additional 5 stops of DR allows you to emulate that rolloff look when you conform it to Rec.709.

Quote:
So basically I'm not sure why anybody would go with the 4.6 sensor instead of the 4k
Because it is rolling/global shutter switchable, better quality at higher ISOs/underexposure, and the extra .6K will help for anyone interested in mastering at 4K for things like warp stabilizing.

Quote:
When you reach a certain limit, where do you stop?
There is no end.

Quote:
I'm trying to see what justifies to go from 3000 bucks to 5000 just to have more rez and a slightly bigger sensor. One could buy a nice lens for the difference.
Because the sensor is supposedly better all-around. If I was getting an Ursa, I wouldn't even consider the 4K sensor because I'm a little underwhelmed by it. Very interested to see the visual difference (especially at 1600 ISO) with the 4.6K.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #85
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Because the sensor is supposedly better all-around. If I was getting an Ursa, I wouldn't even consider the 4K sensor because I'm a little underwhelmed by it. Very interested to see the visual difference (especially at 1600 ISO) with the 4.6K.
It's going to be interesting to see how they differ, because I suspect that quite a few people will end up getting the 4K model instead of the 4.6K model due to the price difference. The main advantage IMO is the dynamic range, since in the Ursa Mini the global shutter is limited to 30fps anyway.

I think BMD has addressed the black sun issue in the v2 4K sensor, btw as well as having addressed the FPN issue, and raised the frame rate. They're also including a feature that will make fixing the black sun issue in post a lot easier in Resolve 12, though it wasn't quite working in time to see it in action at NAB.
Old June 14th, 2015, 10:09 AM   #86
Inner Circle

Fixing black sun in post sounds like a work around.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #87
Major Player

Ok, I had no idea how bad that 4 K sensor was!
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Read Marco Solorio's article about the Ursa.
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:20 PM   #89
Major Player

Thanks, I've just finished reading it and from what I've read I feel that there is no real reason to go for the 4.6K instead of the 4K.
That was basically a very good review and no mention at all of any sensor problem. The biggest problems he mentioned was not being able to delete clips in cam. So frankly, for anybody who is not going to have a contract to distribute in a big theater, I think the extra $ 2000 saved going with the 4K are nice. Well, I guess we'll see when a lot of footage from the 4.6K surfaces.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #90
Regular Crew

There are certainly benefits to having the extra dynamic range, but honestly I suspect that most people who are obsessed with the vast dynamic range are just using it to enable sloppier work. It gives you a lot of flexibility to screw up the exposure and still get a usable shot. With the 4K sensor you'll have less dynamic range, so you'll have to be a little more careful with exposure, but it's still going to enable a skilled cinematographer to get great images.

Plus, there's a very good chance that you'll be able to get a 4K model months before BMD catches up on 4.6K preorders. ;)
Rakesh Malik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News