BlackMagic - URSA Mini - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 16th, 2015, 06:09 AM   #91
Major Player

Re: BlackMagic - URSA Mini

Yes, this quest for the perfect machine by so many people who don't have anything to tell, other than filming pretty girls walking on beaches or their cats and dogs is....entertaining for the least.
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #92
Regular Crew

Larry,

I completely agree with you. Anyone who knows the limits of equipment and uses it accordingly, will obtain excellent results. It's the same on the display side. Everyone is obsessing over black levels or pixel count on flat panels. HDR will be next. Watch for the obsession to spill over into acquisition.
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #93
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Matwiy View Post
Larry,

I completely agree with you. Anyone who knows the limits of equipment and uses it accordingly, will obtain excellent results. It's the same on the display side. Everyone is obsessing over black levels or pixel count on flat panels. HDR will be next. Watch for the obsession to spill over into acquisition.
Ya, we're going to see raftloads of imagery by people claiming that it's great cinematography because they used a camera with 15 stops of dynamic range in a few months...
Rakesh Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #94
Major Player

I also believe that the vast majority of people simply don't need to shoot raw. Let's assume you're going to film a comedy or a drama happening in NYC, a story Woody Allen style or something Spike Lee would do. Do you really believe you need 15 stop of dynamic range captured by a 4.6K sensor? Can't you tell the story of that guy cheating on his wife or that Chinese girl falling in love with that black guy shooting ProRes 4:4:4 with a 4K sensor? ProRes 4 4 4 will allow more than what's necessary to color grade nicely.
Raw could be justified for a few difficult scene, and still, 4 K will be more than enough.
As far as I'm concerned that Hollywood whore, what's his name, uh, Spielberg, could shoot all the dinosaur stories he wants in 8K he won't make me go see it. I would have watched Death and the Maiden shot on an iphone4.
Old June 17th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #95
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
As far as I'm concerned that Hollywood whore, what's his name, uh, Spielberg, could shoot all the dinosaur stories he wants in 8K he won't make me go see it. I would have watched Death and the Maiden shot on an iphone4.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Spielberg has never shot on anything other than film for major projects. Jurassic Park included.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 01:35 PM   #96
Major Player

"Today, its years are numbered, but I will remain loyal to this analogue artform until the last lab closes." -Steven Spielberg

Steven Spielberg & Martin Scorsese: the joy of celluloid | Art and design | The Guardian
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #97
Inner Circle

Personally I think the 4.6k sensor may be better for ENG style Doc work. If you're going to have to go shoulder mount, it'll give you a bit more room to stabilize in post... assuming you want 4k delivery for your Doc. That and higher frame rates for slow motion. Wider dynamic range will help when you have to shoot on bright sunny days where you don't have the lighting controls and still need good shadows as well. That delivery might seem like a small market now but it might not be in three years. The question for some will be, how much longer can you extend the life of the camera for the additional $2k.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #98
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
I also believe that the vast majority of people simply don't need to shoot raw. Let's assume you're going to film a comedy or a drama happening in NYC, a story Woody Allen style or something Spike Lee would do. Do you really believe you need 15 stop of dynamic range captured by a 4.6K sensor? Can't you tell the story of that guy cheating on his wife or that Chinese girl falling in love with that black guy shooting ProRes 4:4:4 with a 4K sensor? ProRes 4 4 4 will allow more than what's necessary to color grade nicely.
Agreed. To be honest, even with a 4.6K Ursa Mini, I expect that I'll do most of my shooting in 2K, ProRes HQ.

There will be times when it will be very nice to have the option of shooting 4K, and times when the extra flexibility you can get in post to shoot in RAW, but most of the time, it will be overkill.

It does have its advantages when you're shooting in situations where you can't control your environment or timing, like ENG to have 15 stops of dynamic range... but even then, most of the time, ProRes HQ will be enough. :)
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:19 AM   #99
Major Player

Michael,
I didn't say Spielberg shot in digital, I said that even if he'd shoot in 16k what he does doesn't interest me a bit.
Yes, I can see why 15 stops of DN and raw could be interesting for anybody who doesn't control the situation such at ENG, sports events, etc.
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #100
Inner Circle

ENG , sports events etc, don't have the time to deal with RAW, these productions commonly have fast turnarounds, a lot of the time there's no grading unless there's a problem (unless for a promo or sting). It's the cameraperson's job to get it right in the camera.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #101
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
ENG , sports events etc, don't have the time to deal with RAW, these productions commonly have fast turnarounds, a lot of the time there's no grading unless there's a problem (unless for a promo or sting). It's the cameraperson's job to get it right in the camera.
I'd shoot ProRes. You can toss a LUT on but don't forget Blackmagic Cameras can shoot Rec 709 rather than flat. 4.6k would have good value for sports as it would give you a big window on a 1080 timeline to cut to a close up on a play you couldn't get close to on time. Then there's the slow mo at 120fps I believe.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #102
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I'd shoot ProRes. You can toss a LUT on but don't forget Blackmagic Cameras can shoot Rec 709 rather than flat. 4.6k would have good value for sports as it would give you a big window on a 1080 timeline to cut to a close up on a play you couldn't get close to on time. Then there's the slow mo at 120fps I believe.
I suspect that a lot of the people who insist on shooting in RAW don't realize that you get access to the same dynamic range when you're capturing in ProRes that you do when capturing in RAW, since the capture mode doesn't change the sensor or the front-end image processing.

I wonder if adding LUT support is in the card for the Mini. It would be nice to be able to craft a look on set, Alexa-style, and deliver footage that's closer to edit ready than film LOG or rely on rec 709.
Old July 26th, 2015, 04:17 AM   #103
Major Player

BMD site still says "Shipping in July" for all four versions, but the B&H site has been updated with "Expected availability: Mid September 2015"
From what some of you were saying, this was to be expected.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #104
Wrangler

Blackmagic not shipping on time?!?!?

My heart... Can't take...

Oh wait, yeah BlackMagic. I'm going to say January.
Old July 26th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #105
Regular Crew

So... You're an optimist ;)
Rakesh Malik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News