Sony announced new A7r mk2, RX10mk2 and RX100mk4 all with internal 4k - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 30th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: Sony announced new A7r mk2, RX10mk2 and RX100mk4 all with internal 4k

Is the 29 min. limit a pause and rest the camera for a few minutes or an arbitrary limit that you can re-start right away. Thinking of using the RX10 Mk11 for low-budget theater shoots that can last 2 hours, shooting in 4K. Thoughts?
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #62
Unregistered Guest

It's an arbitary limit and you can re-start right away. But that fraction of a second before you start recording again might be where you miss an important part of the performance. It wouldn't be that much of a problem if you're shooting a person speaking at an event, for example, but theater might be a problem. The other problem is that you intend to shoot in 4K and not HD. As it is now when shooting in 4K with the A7R mkII, it will likely overheat during use, and you'll have to wait until it cools down to use it again.

Last edited by Unregistered Guest; August 31st, 2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:02 AM   #63
Major Player

Thanks for the info Ed. Sorry for the late reply, irregular schedule and all that. So overheating is an issue for longer shots, damn. Guess I'll wait for the next models. For this particular client, even an FDR-AX100 is pushing the budget, And the HFS feature is awfully sexy.

Also Sony, keep coming with those video friendly lenses. Ah, for a constant arpeture, parfocal zoom lens that is light and costs less than a car that works with larger imagers. Blackmagic might actually sell their studio cameras if they could find a MFT version. Oh, well... And thanks again Ed.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:27 PM   #64
Inner Circle

Reports of heat issues seem to be coming in on the A7rMk2, and the RX100M4 of course has a very short clip duration of 5 minutes for 4K, but so far at least the RX10M2 hasn't been reported to have heat problems (yet?).

The RX10 update may be the "magic" combo of size and engineering to be able to dissipate heat well enough for the sensor size and processing horsepower... I'm watching for reports of overheating carefully, as I had some early "small body" Alpha SLT's that definitely were quick to overheat! Seems to be an ongoing engineering challenge!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 08:54 AM   #65
Major Player

There are a lot of reports that having the LCD flipped out from the body delays or even eliminates overheating depending on ambient conditions. At least the trend line is in the right direction.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #66
Inner Circle

I just "heat stress tested" my RX10M2, no overheat problems in low-mid 70's ambient temps, about an hour and 20 minutes of continuous running (hit the record as soon as it turned off at 29:50) before the battery expended and cam shut down, continued for another hour or so after putting in a new battery - looks good enough, though that's no guarantee in hotter conditions I'd suppose!

I believe that the LCD being folded out provides better overall airflow and cooling to the actual body of the camera - I started with the LCD "in" and then flipped it out after the first 29:50 clip... camera body definitely gets warm, but never saw any heat warning from the camera!

I had an older A55 that could just barely make 15 minutes before overheating... quite pleased to see the RX10M2 be as reliable as the old RX10!

SO, for Eric, you'd probably be just fine with the RX10M2 for your purposes, as long as the theatre isn't an old hotbox with no A/C <wink>. Presuming there's an intermission for a battery swap, and you can find a "pause" or two in the action to "double tap" record before the 29:50 limit, the camera should serve the purposes well enough!

You might even consider picking up a RX10M1 (they are ridiculously cheap used on ebay right now...) for a second camera - zooms and close ups to intermix/cut with the M2's 4K? You'd get some very nice 1080/HD results! In fact, if budget is a big issue, the HD from the Mk1 looks pretty darned good next to the 4K for most intents and purposes... I can see the difference on a 4K monitor, but it's not THAT huge - the advantages of pan/crop in post of course come with shooting 4K, but 1080/60p looks mighty nice! If your cams are manned, you could practically pick up TWO Mk1's for the going price of a Mk2...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 11:57 AM   #67
Trustee

With regard to heat measurements, Harbor Freight has a non-contact infrared thermometer on sale at $25.99 with their Super Coupon.
Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer With Laser Targeting

This is a really handy little item to have around the house, car, or the boat. Or even the wife if she says "feel how cold my hand/ foot is." But you can use it on the cam, too. )Tell the wife you had to buy it for medical reasons.)
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News