Apple Dual-Core Dual-Processor 2.5ghz G5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old October 19th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Apple Dual-Core Dual-Processor 2.5ghz G5

... has been announced for $3300 and is on Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/powermac/dualcore.html. They also have 2 new dual-core single-processor models out.

You can still buy the older dual-processor 2.7 (single-cores) now at $2799, as opposed to $2999 just yesterday. And to think I almost bought one last Friday!

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger
... has been announced for $3300 and is on Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/powermac/dualcore.html. They also have 2 new dual-core single-processor models out.

You can still buy the older dual-processor 2.7 (single-cores) now at $2799, as opposed to $2999 just yesterday. And to think I almost bought one last Friday!

Dan
Alright alright so who's gonna be the first one to try out the new dual cores? :D Actually i'm wondering how the three systems will stack up against the dual processor 2.5ghz G5 which i have- esp for editing/rendering/processing in FCP etc
Old October 19th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #3
DVCreators.Net

For a couple speed tests results check out the graphs on the bottom of this page http://www.apple.com/powermac/

These things fly!
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #4
Tourist

I did just buy one!!

I noticed the new dual core/dual processor G5's the other day when I was ordering my copy of FCP -- I just bought the 2.7 dual processor G5 a month ago, and am a little pissed that I didn't wait -- not that I'm not happy with what I've got... but now I have to wonder how long it will be before I'm drooling over the new one, and waiting for my bank balance to rise to the level I can justify buying one!!

Glenn
Glenn Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #5
Major Player

2.7 dual?? You got one heck of a machine there! Yours is probably faster overall than both of the dual cores... the quad might have ya beat a bit though.

I'm still working on a single 1ghz g4! I love coming to work and using my dual 1.8 G5, but really looking forward to picking up my own G5 before the end of the year (need a good writeoff). I wonder if this is the last G5 before they go Intel...

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Don't feel too bad about the dual cores, they're not too much better than the dual 2.7ghz, honestly, what's 20-30 seconds shaved off of rendering? However, the double dual core ("The Quad") should perform substantially better than the dual 2.7ghz, mostly Motion will benefit if I'm not mistaken. But you still have to weigh in the Intel switch in June, is all that really worth it? Be happy with the dual 2.7ghz, it'll hold off for quite a while.
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

This Dual-core is nothing compared to the Cell workstation, 2 teraflops! Now that could handle an HDV stream and process that HDV stream into 3D animation in real-time! Assuming that Sony allows Mac OS X in the workstation, that would be the dream mac!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Cell workstation.....

I checked it out and would assume that piece of equipment is way out there on cost!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News