HASSELBLAD 100MP medium format camera with 4k raw video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 7th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #1
Trustee

HASSELBLAD 100MP medium format camera with 4k raw video

H6D-100C 100MP medium format camera is capable of capturing 16bit 4K UHD (3840 x 2160p) raw video using proprietary Hasselblad raw format.

More here. The all new Hasselblad H6D

Launch video.
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: HASSELBLAD 100MP medium format camera with 4k raw video

I wonder who is building their sensors.

I wonder who is helping them with their electronics and processing.

Hmmmm.....
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #3
Wrangler

Who cares?the real question is ...can i burn all my credit cards fast enough to make sure I don't buy one?
Because.... Yum.
Old April 7th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #4
Trustee

I still can't find a video centric presentation from them, I'm interested how their medium format 4k raw color science compares to the king of the hill, the arri alexa. Or even with the red.
Old April 8th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #5
Major Player

It is a Sony sensor.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #6
Trustee

With a maximum ISO of 12,000, you still think it's a Sony?

I'm terrible at calculating this stuff but with a medium format sensor, at 50 million pixels, what is the photos it size? 4 microns?

Who's main board are they using? We know Hassy can't do this complex stuff on their own.... Sony?

Is Sony contractually taking a HUGE part of the profit margin on this camera?

I have no idea, just wondering. ;-)
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #7
Photographer

As a 30 year Blad shooter I cannot imagine who is funding this stuff now. Hard to imagine these 100mp systems being financially viable for very many photographers/videographers. Phase one has been after me to demo their system and I'm certain that the end product is wonderful, but you would easily have 100k in a basic system with just a little redundancy in lenses. If you travel a great deal and need complete redundancy, bodies, backs and lenses, it would be 150k.

I could justify all my Blads when they were $4,000 for bodies and about the same for lenses, but this new gear would be tough to work into a day rate. They don't have the longevity reputation that the old Blad gear held either, so you have to amortize them over a much shorter period of time.

Annie L swears by all of it, but she's broke..........:)

Last edited by James R. Wilson Sr.; April 8th, 2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
James R. Wilson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #8
Inner Circle

There is "history", with Hassy relesing high priced, gussied up versions of several recent Sony cameras - notably a couple RX series and I believe one of the (NEX?) mirrorless Alpha bodies, somehow I think they might have even had one of the full sized alphas.... They recently closed out all the stock at blow out pricing.... rumour is that there was something new (and I think a new Prez/CEO or something?)...

That would probably be this camera, and I'd expect Sony is still very much in the mix, only now producing very high end sensors that can't be sold at "Sony prices", but will meet specialized photographic niche markets, with the "right" brand name and premium price tag.

The Sony imaging division is very strong in 'supplying shovels" in addition to their in house product - my new cell phone has a very nice Sony sensor (that pretty much replaces any small point and shoot I have or had... AND shoots 4K video!), they sell a lot of cell phone sensors, probably FAR more than what their share of the P&S market was, and they don't seem to be shy about supplying sensors to anyone (including "competitors") that wants them.

These super high megapixel sensor bodies are not ready for "consumer markets" (yet?!), but it probably won't be TOO long before the technology trickles down and out into the Sony mass market lines!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:36 PM   #9
Photographer

True enough. Medium format digital hasn't seen much of a cost reduction over the past five years though. I've watched it closely and read lots of reviews, studied all kinds of images and image analysis. My 36.6 mp Nikon D810's are outstanding cameras with wonderful dynamic range. No matter how one wants to delude themselves into thinking a 35mm sensor, even a great one in the Nikon, renders imagery that is almost indiscernible from the Nikon, it simply isn't true. The question becomes, unless you have silly money, will your clients see enough of a difference in the imagery to allow you to amortize tools costing hundreds of thousands vs. ten thousand. The clear unnationalized answer to that question is no for most everyone.

I find myself buying expensive gear, esoteric bodies and lenses, more to raise the bar for myself, because my clients are already ecstatic with the product I'm giving them. Would it be fun to explore what a Blad or Phase One system would allow you to produce, sure, but the cost of that fun is pretty high if you're still in the realm of a working professional.
Old April 9th, 2016, 07:22 AM   #10
Major Player

It is a Sony sensor.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I too, have noticed Hasselblad have gone down the badge-engineering route by marketing cameras that are really just Sony cameras in different garb. Perhaps they could be honest with their customers and call their cameras 'Hasselblad by Sony', because that's pretty much all they amount to now.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #12
Photographer

Right you are Steve. Hasselblad has gone the way of Kodak, an attitude of superiority long after it's appropriate. I have likened it to "arranging deck chairs on the Titanic" syndrome. For years, decades, I had over 100K in Hasselblad equipment, Professor Ernst Wildi was a personal friend, but I've not heard a word from Blad since they were bought out and everyone who really cared about the brand was scattered asunder.
Old April 30th, 2016, 03:04 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
Also worth noting that the Hasselblad promo video on my first post was shot on a RED DRAGON, using Cooke Mini S4 lenses.

The DP is Andreas Nilsson.
Here is his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/Niiles?fref=nf

Someone commented on his posts in Color grading central FB page that it would have been better if Hassy let him use the H6D, and he replied that they only had a pre prod model during the shoot.

Last edited by Ted Ramasola; April 30th, 2016 at 03:46 AM.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:24 AM   #14
Trustee

beautiful camera,
i mean Red dragon :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News