Blackmagic Camera Annuncement tomorrow + Resolve news at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 1st, 2017, 09:29 AM   #1
Major Player

Blackmagic Camera Annuncement tomorrow + Resolve news

Just got an invitation for an online press conference from Blackmagic. It is about cameras and Resolve.
With a little luck it is a 4K Pocket Cinema Camera.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 05:34 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Blackmagic Camera Annuncement tomorrow + Resolve news

Does someone is watching the event of Blackmagic at Los Angeles's time? I'm really annoyed to wait tonight in Italy, hope to see some news soon here! Edit: Sorry, probably it's contemporary time as Italy, now in Los Angeles is 04:14 a.m. !
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 07:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Whatever it is I hope the company stick to the announced schedules. And once problems regarding hardware or firmware arise when the products have been on the market I hope they are quick to remedy them. The past experience has not been good and many of the people I know including myself are wary about the brand's poor track records. Having well specified products at great prices has proved to be not enough.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 02:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Short version:
Two new Resolve panels, a Micro and a Mini, $2000 and $3000 respectively
Ursa Mini 4.6K Pro, with interchangeable lens mounts, a lot more dedicated controls, integrated NDs, lots of small improvements, $6000

An upgrade option for Ursa owners, getting a deep discount to get an UM 4.6K Pro (but they get to keep their Ursa)

They say that these are all shipping now, though some options (Nikon mount) and features (4 channel audio recording, still image capture via dedicated button) aren't enabled yet.
Rakesh Malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Really liking the planned Nikon mount with mechanical iris control for G lenses. The attachable SSD recorder is kind of redundant. In fact, I would attach a Atomos Shogun Inferno to capture DNxHR to the SSD. Blackmagic's DNxHD support has been kind of lackluster.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 07:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I was pretty excited over the new Ursa Mini Pro until someone told me it's still the same sensor as the existing Ursa Mini. Not a bad looking sensor at all, when you have the correct lighting. I know how to light and love to light but a lot of my documentary and BTS work, by definition is not well lit. Would not work for me. Hopefully their next development will be to up sensor light gathering ability. Need relatively usable ISO 3200. Noise is fine but it has to be the right kind of noise (See Arri and Canon C series). Feature wise, they are hitting it out of the park but as it sits, seems most usable for well lit situations (interviews, green screen, studio shoots), which I sometimes have but sometimes I don't (following an actor, BTS on the set of an action show or feature, at night, in the boonies).
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 07:50 PM   #7
Trustee

The Resolve Micro Panel looks kinda fun. Color is getting to be such a big deal in video and Resolve is really powerful. I suppose I better start learning!
Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:21 PM   #8
Trustee

I love BlackMagic's desire to build the best camera it can. I respect how hard they try and I appreciate that they are able to disrupt industry price points for all the features they implement. I'm fully convinced that if they had not pushed raw recording at such a low price point that Sony never would have done its own raw sensor data on the FS700 and FS5.

However, BlackMagic is forced to buy image sensors from companies like CMOSIS that just really cant compete with Sony or even Canon for that matter. Sony will sell to other Japanese companies like Panasonic and Canon but they wont give an Australian BlackMagic the time of day.

This is really the most important factor that hurts BlackMagic. There is just no way to compete with Sony's extremely high signal to noise ratio sensors. BlackMagic does the best they can with every other feature but they are just going to continue to get killed by Sony in low light/ high ISO noise comparisons.

They have great spirit and I keep rooting for them everyday. Keep up the good fight guys!
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 03:40 PM   #9
Inner Circle

One of my friends was using sensors from Luxima for his high speed camera, and those aren't on the level of Sony or Canon neither. One advantage though is global shutter.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News