Panasonic EVA1 announced at CineGear 2017 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 2nd, 2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Panasonic EVA1 announced at CineGear 2017

For those of you who missed the live stream, I'll be posting the EVA1 press release asap.

5.7K sensor, Dual Native ISO, EF lens mount, under 3 pounds, less than $8000

Edit: press release is up; see http://www.dvinfo.net/news/panasonic...ma-camera.html
Attached Thumbnails
Panasonic EVA1 announced at CineGear 2017-screen-shot-2017-06-02-6.41.02-pm.jpg   Panasonic EVA1 announced at CineGear 2017-screen-shot-2017-06-02-6.40.19-pm.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 06:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Panasonic EVA1 announced at CineGear 2017

Does it have IBIS?
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 06:22 PM   #3
Wrangler

Canon Cwhathundred?

EVERYONE SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!
Old June 2nd, 2017, 07:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Does it have IBIS?
Apparently only electronic IS. Interesting mix of features compared to the C200; missing the EVF, dual pixel AF and internal Raw of the latter, but otherwise looks like a very compelling package.

Last edited by Josh Dahlberg; June 2nd, 2017 at 07:34 PM.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Canon Cwhathundred?

EVERYONE SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!
Of course the Canon is actually a camera, that takes pictures.. the Panasonic didn't even have a sensor in it. Looks a little like a c300, an fs7, and a dvx100 had a threesome. Impressive specs for an sd card camera. Will have to wait awhile to see some imagery. Stayed for the c200 presentation. The footage is some of the most impressive of any of the canon demos I've seen projected.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 03:09 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Goyette View Post
Stayed for the c200 presentation. The footage is some of the most impressive of any of the canon demos I've seen projected.
Barry, is there any chance to watch the C200's new footage online?
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 03:41 AM   #7
Trustee

Odd sensor size at 5.7 megapixels if that's what that figure is referring to, total sensor pixels? How many are active I wonder?

This is obviously s new sensor of some design and it doesn't sound like anything that Panasonic's broadcast division has ever produced before. The camera as a whole looks like DVX-200 "Max" and the DVX-200 came out of Panasonic's consumer division. Just surmising that this is why this camera won't carry a "Varicam" label as it possibly has nothing to to do with the Varicam's lineage which is purely from the broadcast division. Also unlike the Varicams that are AVC-Intra and AVC Long GOP based this EVA1 sounds like it is an MP4/MOV based camera using similar codecs to its stable mate the GH5. Has this been confirmed yet?

Back to the sensor it seems a bit light on at 5.7 megapixels for a Super 35 sensor isn't it? If that is what this 5.7 number refers to. A bit crafty they way Panasonic are using this 5.7 number. For some lesser informed observers they might think that this number refers to an actual output value a la the 4.5K of the Canon C700 sensor. This is not a going to be a 5.7K active sensor.. I highly doubt it anyway.

The new C200 has 9.84 megapixels total, 4206 x 2340, for an active (effective) sensor area of 8.847 megapixels (4096 x 2160.) Same spec as the C300 Mk II.

The Sony FS5/7/F5/ cameras run a sensor of 11.6 megapixel total with an 8.9 megapixel active (effective) area.

What magic is it that Panasonic have that can convince us that this camera can produce a fully Debayered 4K image, after a demosaicing/debayer loss of about 30%, from a 5.7 megapixel sensor?

The likes of Canon and Sony are using much higher pixel counts of around 8.9 active megapixels to achieve their respective 4K outputs.

I don't want to prejudge but I've been in this business a long time and at times become a bit cynical about some claims that float around. I am very curious about this camera's sincerity of intention when it claims to be a full true 4k camera with the tech specs published so far.

I would love to know more about this camera if anyone has any further info that may make me a little less sceptical.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 04:27 AM   #8
Trustee

Mitch Gross said during the presentation that they plan to add a 5.7k raw output in the future, and that the 4K is oversampled from the 5.7k.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 05:19 AM   #9
Inner Circle

This camera proves Panasonic CAN record ultra high bitrate 4K 10bit 422 60p to SDXC UHS-II cards. Now if only we got a DVX200B with the guts of the GH5 (with no crop factor) and the same level of 10bit support and I would buy one of those in an instant. Even if it didn't have 12G-SDI, a DVX200B with 10bit internal would be the logical next move.

I'm ready to leave the Sony camp. It's been a fun ride, but purposely not going 4K 60p below your prosumer flagship, the FS7, means Panasonic has my business.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 06:02 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Odd sensor size at 5.7 megapixels if that's what that figure is referring to, total sensor pixels? How many are active I wonder?
Where do you get the idea that a 5.7K raw image means a 5.7MP sensor?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 06:54 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilo Del Tufo View Post
Barry, is there any chance to watch the C200's new footage online?

I added it here the day the C200 was announced.

See http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...-overview.html

It's called "Dish to Dock." The BTS is there as well.

Old June 3rd, 2017, 07:02 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
...it doesn't sound like anything that Panasonic's broadcast division has ever produced before.
The EVA1 was designed by Takahiro Mitsui, who is Panasonic's chief VariCam engineer.

Quote:
Back to the sensor it seems a bit light on at 5.7 megapixels for a Super 35 sensor isn't it? If that is what this 5.7 number refers to.
Actually it is a "native 5.7K" sensor. The 5.7 number does not refer to megapixels.

Quote:
This is not a going to be a 5.7K active sensor.
As Barry has already pointed out: according to Mitch Gross, who is the Panasonic cinema products manager, the EVA1 will be 4K active at first and later on after a firmware update is released then it will be 5.7K.

It may be helpful to watch the livestream presentation from yesterday. I can't embed it here, but I have added it as a video clip in the EVA1 press release on the static side of the site. It's linked in my first post up at the top of this thread.

Old June 3rd, 2017, 08:26 AM   #13
Space Hipster

As an FS5 owner, this camera intrigues me, more so than the C200. Why? Because of the timecode in/out and strong internal codec.

Much of my work is in broadcast, at times with multiple camera shoots. As much as I like my FS5, the lack of a timecode in/out has hampered my shoots on several occasions. Broadcast and/or multiple camera shoots really expect timecode sharing.

I guess Sony and Canon see this type of small digi-cinema cameras as not needing a timecode feature. They see these cameras as ideal for small, independent film makers and small productions.
But they also must realize us small business owners need our cameras to work in every production situation, including broadcast and multi-camera shoots. I can only afford one camera, it needs to be all things to me.

A good, strong, internal codec is also a big plus. The specs aren't out yet, but it seems it will have a strong codec. I want one that is acceptable to the most demanding broadcast client. I hope the EVA1 delivers on this. The FS5's codec is so-so. And I dislike add-on recorders.

Speaking of codecs, I personally have no need for RAW video. The majority of my work is shot in 1080/60i. I have never shot in RAW and have never had a request to do so. So, the feature on the C200 is nice, but I have no need of it. That may change in a few years, who knows.

So, the timecode port and possible strong internal codec may cause me to trade in my beloved FS5 for the EVA1. I could just upgrade to the FS7, but I really like the size of the FS5. Plus, I'd need to add the $2,000 back for timecode. Then I'd need to buy more expensive V-mount or A/B batteries. Ugh, more expenses.

I do wish the EVA1 had a rear EVF. I use my FS5's EVF a lot. But I'll trade that for the timecode port.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 08:47 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Sorry Christopher but you read that sensor spec wrong. Its not 5.7 megapixel. Its 5.7K. It's way beyond 4k resolution. This is far more han a simple 1:1 readout.

This should produce highly deatiled 4k images
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:49 AM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
It's called "Dish to Dock."
Thanks, I was hoping for new footage other than "Dish to Dock.", it would be nice if they showed more at Cinegear.
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News