Canon announces XF705 pro 4K camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 12th, 2018, 01:09 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Canon announces XF705 pro 4K camcorder

Scheduled to be available in December 2018 at just under $7,000.

See the full press release with images here:

Canon Launches New Flagship XF705 Professional Camcorder at DV Info Net

Pre-order from B&H: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801
Attached Thumbnails
Canon announces XF705 pro 4K camcorder-xf705-side-hires.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon announces XF705 pro 4K camcorder

It's Canon's 1'' vs Sony's 3 1/2''... SD cards vs SxS/XQD...

You wonder why Sony doesn't just release a Z150 successor that shoots 60p to SD cards. They have to segregate 8bit 4:2:0 just to not "cannibalize."

Not a fan of HEVC as the primary recording codec though, puts more strain on edit suites, but of course there will be a import tool to handle that through transcoding. 160Mbps if done right is good, but I have my doubts.

I really hope they improved on the sensor vs the XF400 though, cause that was just a really muddy sensor.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
It's Canon's 1'' vs Sony's 3 1/2''... SD cards vs SxS/XQD...

You wonder why Sony doesn't just release a Z150 successor that shoots 60p to SD cards. They have to segregate 8bit 4:2:0 just to not "cannibalize."
Not sure I understand what you mean by segregating 8 bit 420, Sony? The Z280 is the rival at this price point and it is 4K 60P 10 bit 422. Lens is constant F1.6 and has electronic variable ND. Have no idea which has the better image, neither from what I've seen are impressive although Canon chose really bad snow conditions lighting to show off the XF705 but claim 13 stops DR. Well, I kind of doubt that but will wait to see.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 01:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I was talking about in the same sensor size category.

The PXW-Z150 is also a 1'' sensor, but is limited to 4K 30p 8bit 4:2:0. So is the Z90V and NX80.

The Z280 is 3x 1/2'' sensors, which is a different beast and sensor category from this camera. It actually uses a more edit friendly I-frame only codec too.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I say this as a Canon fan, the XF-705 seems overpriced. Nice features, nice camera but should be $4,999.00. But then again, I don't work for Canon and perhaps Canon does research that says that there client base will gladly pony up $7k for this camera?
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I have been using Canon camcorders and cameras for more than 20 years.

In my estimation, Canon is overpriced by roughly twenty percent, across the board, no matter what particular product line or specific model.

If you're earning money by using their gear, then their pricing is a non-issue, since you're making that money back many times over.

If you're a hobbyist, then the trick is to wait for the price to come down by 20%, which it may or may not do. I'm a fan of their refurbs... good deals can be found that way. But it usually means waiting nine to twelve months for refurbs to show up.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 10:23 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I have been using Canon camcorders and cameras for more than 20 years.

In my estimation, Canon is overpriced by roughly twenty percent, across the board, no matter what particular product line or specific model.

If you're earning money by using their gear, then their pricing is a non-issue, since you're making that money back many times over.

If you're a hobbyist, then the trick is to wait for the price to come down by 20%, which it may or may not do. I'm a fan of their refurbs... good deals can be found that way. But it usually means waiting nine to twelve months for refurbs to show up.
Truth Chris!
Old September 27th, 2018, 01:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Is there any reason there are no 3 x 1inch cameras? Or would that be just too bulky?
Old October 3rd, 2018, 09:37 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
Is there any reason there are no 3 x 1inch cameras? Or would that be just too bulky?
Three imager cameras are out of fashion in general except for live broadcast/ENG type cameras and Canon has never built those kinds of cameras. Also, if you've ever shot with a 2/3" imager camera, they are usually physically quite large, a 3 x 1" camera would have to be even larger, I would think? And the trend for the past decade or so has been smaller, lighter, cheaper, I can't see what advantages you would gain by making a 3 x 1" camera? The last three imager camera that was popular in my world was the Sony F900 and that was a long time ago.
Old October 5th, 2018, 01:58 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I’ve wondered about the same thing. In 90s - early 2000s there was always the warning make a professional 3 chip camera is used. There was never any announcement proclaiming 3 chip was no longer needed because of new sensor technology. It seemed like it happened when dslr popularity took off and then the camcorders followed suit.

As far as the XF705 the specs seem great but honestly it seems over priced and targeted to corporate customers how have budgets that an extra couple of thousands is no big deal.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News