Do not put Sony Music CDs in your editor's drive - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 17th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang
The affected CDs (according to the meda) are to be returned for a Copy-protectionless copy of the disc. Guess the people who did get the virus in their computer would have to reinstall everything and format the Hard drive!
I have found notes in MS support groups saying that Microsoft's next version of the Malicious Software Removal Tool will remove it. MS' Anti-Spyware should now detect it and may remove it or soon will. I know that Symantec AV Version 10 now does signatures on it (no specific removal kit.) This Sophos kit should too http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/rkprf.html

I have not tested any of these methods, but do not have an infected machine to test with either (we actually talked about buying a CD to test with - my group does strategy security work).
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #17
Wrangler

Sony's Copyright Overreach

http://businessweek.com/technology/c...117_444162.htm

Quote:
But some industry execs admit privately that the Sony rootkit brouhaha has shown that there are some lines that content creators simply can't cross. The industry learned a similar lesson in 2003, when Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), then-chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, wondered aloud whether the tech trade could build a computer that would explode if it was used to illegally download music tracks.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #18
Major Player

I'm assuming if one uses a Mac, it's not an issue, right?
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #19
Wrangler

Yes - the "root kit" is a Windows thing. Of course somebody may be doing something nasty on OS X as well, and we just haven't found out about it yet ;-)
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #20
Inner Circle

What's especially galling is that real pirates, people copying CDs for commerical gain, can get around any of these copy protection devices by making at most a miniscule investement. Play the CD and re-record the audio coming from the S/PDIF or an AES/EBU digital output or even loop analog audio out back into an analog input, something easily done with any pro-quality audio interface and a lot of consumer grade soundcards, then remaster from the recorded material. (And remember AES is like S/PDIF but strips out the copy-protection bit from the data stream so any player or audio interface that has it should work as the digital signal source.) So what if you aren't making a bit-for-bit copy of the disk - most people who purchase discs where pirates usually distribute don't have either the hearing or the playback equipment to tell the difference. (Look at how many people are blissfully unaware that their mp3's are Especially in this forum I'll bet 90% of the people reading this have the necessary hardware and software to copy those discs with impunity, copy protection or no, with very little if any noticable generational loss. And if it's a personal copy you're making to have a disc to take with you in the car or to a party while leaving your expensive original safely at home, well, I'll guarantee you any losses you do incur will be obscured by the background noise of your listening environment.

I can understand the recording companies desire to prevent people from copying and posting music online but even there I wonder how much impact it really has on record sales. There's no doubt there's a lot of it posted illegally. But the real question is how many people who have downloaded it or copied a friend's CD would have purchased the CD had it not been available online and there I have my doubts. I'm sure there's some erosion but I wonder how much there really is. I suspect in many cases those people who are downloading and burning or copying would just wait for their tunes to come around on their favorite radio station's playlist or simply do without. Yes, we've all heard how sales are declining but whether that decline is *caused* by copying or other competing market factors are more important remains to be seen. Perhaps the teen market is more motivated to spend their money of other alternative pastimes like video games and will listen to DL'd music if it's available but otherwise would just listen to the radio.
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #21
Wrangler

Copy Protection Still a Work in Progress

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/051118/music...tion.html?.v=3

Quote:
"The biggest mistake the labels are making is, they're letting their lawyers make technical decisions. Lawyers don't have any better understanding of technology than a cow does algebra," Leigh said. "They insist on chasing this white whale."
Here's a list of the Sony CD's that use the XCP copy protection:

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Valles
I'm assuming if one uses a Mac, it's not an issue, right?
Um, actually, it is. See this article: Sony's DRM Rootkit Comes in Mac Flavor, Too
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Of course somebody may be doing something nasty on OS X as well, and we just haven't found out about it yet
Well there ya go....
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Removal Tool

How does that Microsoft Removal Tool work? I know that I downloaded it recently but I couldn't find it in my programs. Where is it located in my PC?

All of this anti-copy encryption software is useless if someone just connects the audio output from an external CD player to the inputs of a recorder. I guess Sony's software only prevents burning from the source disc with burning software in a PC.

Last edited by James Emory; November 19th, 2005 at 07:27 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
How does that Microsoft Removal Tool work? I know that I downloaded it recently but I couldn't find it in my programs. Where is it located in my PC?
The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool is downloaded once a month through Windows Update (make sure Windows is set to automatically download and install critical updates, or else be sure to check frequently for critical updates yourself), at which time it scans for and removes malicious software.
Old November 19th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #26
Regular Crew

So, if it does find something, does it notify you or just do its thing silently?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory
So, if it does find something, does it notify you or just do its thing silently?
According to Microsoft, "When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed." Find out more at the Malicious Software Removal Tool Web page.
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:51 PM   #28
Major Player

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/tech/computer_security
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News