New Law May Limit Public Access TV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 8th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #1
Major Player

New Law May Limit Public Access TV

See the story at: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/08/ar...on/08cabl.html
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #2
suspended -- contact admin

I think what we need is a public access channel that has the bandwidth to use high definition technology. That way we can broadcast little league games and school board meetings in high definition. The PBS HD channel already exists and it is high time that this technology is available to local public access channels.
Tommy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Major Player

In Michigan, in my city (many others too but I won't comment on them) the local cable companys shell out 5% to the city and county governments in order to use the existing infrastructure. The citys and countys then give a portion of this money to the local public access channels (please note the constitutional amendment for free speech applies here). Now if my local access cable channel people are complaining about the cable companies lobbying congress to change this funding, then I'm VERY conerned too. Any congressperson or senator who endorses this bill will not be getting my vote ever again.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Interesting, I'm from Grand Rapids, Dennis. I did my first short film out of the public access station downtown, (is it still on College St? by GRCC?)
With that short movie I moved to Los Angeles and landed a career in the film industry doing what I love, working on movies. It would be a shame to
see public access stations fold due to this.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 02:56 AM   #5
Major Player

No, they moved into nice new digs on Bridge street, the north branch of the GRPL, second floor. Very nice people there. Cable companies are evil! There I said it and I'm glad I did. Hey, what happend to my IFC Channel?
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #6
Major Player

I'll make sure and swing by next time I'm in town. I remember a guy named Chuck Peterson who worked there. I think that's his name... Let's see that was only, eh...15 years ago.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News