Sony Patents Anti-Rental Tech - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:25 PM   #31
Trustee

History if full of huge corporations that suffered greatly from bad PR and upset consumers. Just having a larger pocket book only buys one more time.

We have a culture where our youth have been accustomed to the word "free" long before facing "DRM" and "Copyright". I'm certain most folks feel that because of file sharing, label companies will treat everyone as suspect, and impose unfair limitations. Sony has managed to justify those fears by shoving this DRM down our throats, sideways. (Even folks on the DRM wagon should be concerned).

Despite the boycott's intention to hurt Sony. I think what is more important is the message that says: anything that even remotely resembles "DRM" is a deal breaker, and we'll take our money elsewhere. Ouch. That hurts.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:57 PM   #32
Trustee

In response to the questions that come to mind after reading Boyds comments, I am thinking, if I were an artist doing a CD, I might specify to NOT let Sony use this new technology on my CDs. Megadeth and others might love it but the fear of loosing sales will hit the artist who gets the smalle living percentage of the royalties greater.

That is, the artist has to live off that money where Sony can spread that loss over their entire operation if need be. They loose a fraction of a cent over this but the artist who looses a few thousand sales will feel it, if it's not some sort of super hit album anyway.

Hopefully a few outraged, knowledgable musical artists will stand up on this one.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 05:00 PM   #33
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
In response to the questions that come to mind after reading Boyds comments, I am thinking
Just to be clear, those are not my comments. I just quoted from an article I read...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #34
Trustee

I wasn't thinking good or bad on that, just that after reading Boyd's message, it got me thinking. That's all. Boyd, like so many others here, inspires me to do better and better.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News