Death to the movies - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 06:10 AM   #16
Trustee

I think that one of the problems contributing to the lack of 'the experience' is that there are simply too many movies being released. The majority of them are lackluster.

Because of my schdule I don't have a lot of time to go and see a film at the cinema. In the old days a film used to be shown for many weeks. These days films are sometimes pulled within two weeks! So I just end up missing everything I would like to see.

Add to this the price of going to the cinema now. In the UK it can be around 6UKP. Add to that the cost of travel to the cinema from a rural area such as the one that I live in, and I could buy it when the DVD comes out for not much more, own it for as long as I like, and watch it on my HC system in the privacy of my own home.

There is one cinema very close to me however that is in the old style. It was made from a converted theatre, and still has all the original seats and fittings from the early 1900's. It even has a circle and stalls seating system.

The problem is that the owners only cre about the theatre next door. They don't give a stuff about the cinema experience. So they have a VERY bad sound system installed that sounds like the movie is playing through a water bucket. The screen is curved and placed very high up. Combined with the uncomfortable seats (I'm around 5'10 and quite thin and I can only just fit into them) you have to look up at the screen which completely screws up your neck after a few minutes. Further to this, remember the opening to the first Kill Bill film with the really cheesy 'And now for our feature presentation' bit? THATS this cinema! When I went there last they had EXACTLY that type of graphic appear complete with music!

The place has so much potential. The town in which I live has been designated as one of the most cultural in the country due to the diversity of the theatre it shows. Yet in the same theatre complex they neglect the cinema which COULD be showing all kinds of world films. If I ever win the lottery I'll buy them out and make it into something decent!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:12 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Hope you do.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:01 PM   #18
Major Player

Interesting thread...

My personal experience in building (it's a work in progress) a home theater is that it's actually enhanced our social life. We have friends, family, and even neighbors over for movies on our "big screen" all the time. To me, the difference is in having some space in your home, a good projector, great sound, and a good video source. And it doesn't have to be all that expensive. I love big screen TV's, but it's not even close to the same as watching an HD (Dish DVR) movie on a DIY 12ft projection screen. We hear comments like "you'll never need to waste money at the multi-plex" or "I'd never get any work done" quite often.

What our friends enjoy is the screen size and the fact that we've worked to make it more cinematic in the room. We painted the ceiling black, and have dark red walls with black curtains, and for daytime viewing, we'll put up our black-out curtains to make the room ultra dark, even with direct sunlight hitting the windows. I don't care how bright my projector (720p Sony LCD) can get--I hate watching movies in a well-lit room! It's all about having a great big image, good sound, and as few peripheral distractions as possible.

I still occasionally go to the arthouse theaters and the better multiplex screens for "event" movies like LOTR, but I feel like our HT has more cinematic soul than 95% of the cineplexes out there. Plus, with a young family, when you can't find a babysitter it's great to watch a movie and pause when the kids eventually become disruptive. Saves a lot of embarrassment at the cineplex. Even though I sympathize with parents taking their young children to the movies (everyone needs to get out!), it drives me crazy when they let their children cry endlessly during the movie! You just can't rely on common courtesy at the movies.

My opinion: the advent of good HT will expedite the disappearance of mediocre cineplexes. It may be hopelessly optimistic, but we may see a renaissance of the movie palace. It's gotta be worth the cost and hassle.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 04:00 PM   #19
Air China Pilot

I really think we will have a problem in society when we don't feel comfortable going out being in crowds. I am all for building up your castles and having comfy experiences within your own walls but there is something to be said for being in the community. I hope it's not part of getting old. I still like going out to hip restaurants and dancing once in awhile. And I love going out to the theatres. I would really regret if the providers just decided the market wasn't ever going to come back and relegated their releases to people's homes.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 08:12 PM   #20
Major Player

I'm all for having everyone with their own individual "theaters" in their own homes, I'm helping my dad design a nice hometheater in his new basement with (hopefully) a 92" screen and some amazing sound. But I still enjoy going to theaters when the movie is good. What I believe should be put into theaters is a new dimension of the experience. We've all been to those "4D" movies in disney and busch gardens, ect. Those theaters trully bring you into the experience. Even something as simple as timed fans to blow the air around when there is a windy scene in the movie, chair shakes when there is an explosion, water falling from the ceiling might be a little much, but you get the idea. Surround sound is supposed to bring you into the action, but all it does is bring your sense of sound into the action.
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News